Dec 17, 2015, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
Bosch jigsaw blade T101AO3 works nicely on this doorskin plywood.
How about some pictures of your build
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2015, 09:41 PM

first mistakes

Working from the plans I glued the horizontal temporary spacers just beneath the waterline. The video shows them placed below the servo rails.
I marked the bulkheads on one side only and then glued them to the spacers. Should have marked them on both sides.
Then I've laid out the deck on the top surface of the wood, once again putting the lines on the wrong surface.
At any rate the hull sides are the only major pieces left to create.
This is my first boat build. Eager to see the hull's shape.
Dec 20, 2015, 09:00 PM

taking shape!

With all the major parts ready I've started gluing the center section into the hull sides. With only one line per bulkhead they probably should center on the line but I chose to put the bulkhead ahead of the line.
Found a mast at Ace Hardware for $3.50.
Will wait for Tower to receive the Hitec sail winch servo.
1st photo: transferring lines to wood with mallet and awl.
2nd photo: the cold place where I can make dust
3rd photo: using first hull side to mark second side with exterior surfaces facing each other.
4th photo: the warm place where I can use glue
5th photo: tacking the joints with super glue
Last edited by glidin'n'slidin'; Dec 20, 2015 at 09:14 PM.
Dec 25, 2015, 05:31 PM
This is looking good, whats new?

Bill
Dec 25, 2015, 11:40 PM

tis the season to be busy

My work in a kitchen is taking all my time during the holidays. January should get the hull built.
I'm thinking of laminating the doorskin ply for the deck beams, servo rails, and other hull fittings. Hobby size lumber isn't available here.
The Smith's epoxy products seem like a full-scale boat material I'll have to try to source in the Denver area sometime when we're down there.
Dec 26, 2015, 12:04 PM
sailtails - YouTube

building materials

Looks like you're off to a good start. The Home Depot store in my area gives away (free) paint stir sticks in 2 sizes, 1/8"&1/4" thick. The 1/4" sticks, cut to shape, make great deck beams for this boat. The 1/8" sticks are useful for other details. The servo rails might be ripped from a piece of pine lumber, like a 1x4. The epoxy filler (not free) can be found at.. http://www.smithandcompany.org ( Call 1-800-234-0330 to find a stocking dealer near you, or to order directly from the factory store.) They also have Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer which is excellent for sealing the woodwork prior to paint or varnish. I'm sure there are other equivalent epoxies, but I have been happy with the Smith & Co. products. Thanks for posting these build photos.
Dec 26, 2015, 01:59 PM
Today l made an a attempted to get the prints up loaded at Staples but there machine could not handle the size, Wow

What a bummer, ok next place

The lady said to print on the paper size 36x55?
Last edited by tigman; Dec 26, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
Dec 26, 2015, 03:39 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Go to your local engineer or architect. They may have a plotter with roll feed paper 36 by 100 feet. (It is about 10 bucks a roll. ) Be sure to have them check the scaling on their plotter setup.

BP
Dec 26, 2015, 06:09 PM

The UPS Store

The UPS Store here printed mine no problem.
I've purchased Minwax High Performance Wood Hardener and High Performance Wood Filler at Home Depot and will return for stirring sticks. Great idea, Gary! Popsicle sticks are good also.
Dec 28, 2015, 09:37 AM
FedEx office stores can also plot the drawings on large format paper. It will cost about $15.00 for a 30x42 sheet.
Dec 28, 2015, 01:36 PM
I found another print shop near bye, will see how this turns out Just dropped the f/d off.
Dec 29, 2015, 09:30 PM

bulkhead #1 and deck beams

Holding the first bulkhead in place for gluing seemed really awkward. It needs to flex the hull sides outward so there is a force pushing it toward the stern. A stack of various objects spaced it the right distance ahead of bulkhead #2. So the first photo looks really chaotic but the gluing was nice and easy.
The second photo shows the center deck beam glued in place with Titebond wood glue. The beam is two pieces of the doorskin laminated with Titebond.
Jan 03, 2016, 07:35 PM

bottom of hull

Clamping the deck between the hull sides seems to show it's pretty straight.
First one side of the bottom was glued to bulkhead #1, then tacked to the other bulkheads.
I assumed some shaping of these bottom sheets would be needed but the first one fit beautifully.
The bottom-to-side joint was then tacked with CA and the transom glued to both the side and bottom.
If the other bottom side fits I'll be amazed.
Jan 07, 2016, 09:48 PM

the bottom is planked

Here is my post-Christmas work space and some of the tools I've used. The tie-down strap from Northwest River Supply has really helped provide clamping pressure. I've got some open joints and hope the filler will fix them.
At any rate I hope to show that most anyone can put this model together with some simple tools.
Jan 08, 2016, 12:03 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Progress

Glad to see your project coming along. Thanks again for posting your build for us.