Sep 11, 2016, 10:24 PM
sailtails - YouTube

the Skiff (building a dinghy for Irene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
I will gladly e mail the skiff patterns to any schooner builders. Shoot your request to [email protected]
Those interested in building a skiff to carry aboard the schooner might like to see how the Bearospace crew goes about the job. This is an old video, so I should add that no kit is available, you'll have to cut your own parts.
Cheers...Gary

Northwest Wooden Boat Building - Time Lapse (3 min 17 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2016, 03:48 AM
Thread OP

Sew what?

Needle? Thread? Never heard of them.
The nylon thread I chose twists and snarls up with each stitch. Arrrgh! Poor choice, the internet tells me. My wife pulled out her forty-pound sewing box and handed me a forty-year-old block of her mother's thread wax. Using it the nylon slides through the fabric no problem.

For me the diagonal stitching worked fine next to the bolt rope but caused the rope-free leech to form a lengthwise pucker. Instead I stitched the leech with a simple line of straight stitches.

Watch Gary's bears at work! What a hoot! I'm imagining the bears' fishing trawler, them hoisting a net of fish and eating them all.
Sep 12, 2016, 06:52 PM
Thread OP

Second thought

Thinking about sewing the leech while bicycling to work. I thought about the diagonal stitching and how it would allow the leech to stretch with the sail while my straight stitches would not want to stretch and then maybe fail when taking the whole load of wind.
Gary, I hope you'll comment here while I work on the other sails.
Hoping to get on the water Sunday.
Sep 12, 2016, 07:03 PM
Thread OP

To tell the truth

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Paul Brabenec. A novice model sailor but experienced designer, builder, and flyer of rc model Sailplanes and airplanes. Daily bicyclist and I cook for a living. Married to a sweetheart lady and companion of a sweet dog. Approaching retirement and still quite busy although in the seasonal ski town fashion (a little too busy summer and winter and rather idle spring and fall).
Last edited by Paul~; Oct 14, 2016 at 03:00 AM.
Sep 12, 2016, 07:21 PM
Approaching retirement ..............DON'T DO IT. You won't have any time left for modelling. You'll wonder how you got anything done when you were working.

I've got nothing to do and all day to do it.

Why haven't I got any spare time
?
Sep 12, 2016, 08:49 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Many thanks to you too Gary! You have designed a beautiful, yet easy to make sailboat that has brought this into the ability of all of us!
Without your knowledge, time, effort and wonderful videos, us mere mortal subjects would be wondering what to do with our spare time...(sit down and listen to our wives?)

I hereby would like to proclaim that you be respectfully known..... as King Gary!

I can see you now...with your rosy-red cheeks, humble little grin, and 'Bear' behind you nodding in agreement!!
I hope this comment puts as big a smile on you as you have put on all of us!

Thanks Gary!!
Sep 13, 2016, 01:12 AM
sailtails - YouTube

stitches & more stitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
Thinking about sewing the leech while bicycling to work. I thought about the diagonal stitching and how it would allow the leech to stretch with the sail while my straight stitches would not want to stretch and then maybe fail when taking the whole load of wind.
Gary, I hope you'll comment here while I work on the other sails.
Hoping to get on the water Sunday.
Hi Paul, I'm trusting you have arranged the "long run" of the fabric to run parallel to the leech. As such, the stretch along the leech will be minimal and perhaps the thread (nylon ?) will be stretchy enough to hang in there.
I think nylon thread is more stretchy than the polyester thread which I have been using. With 3 sails to make, maybe you can try 3 variations and let us all know how it goes. Remember that I'm not a REAL sailmaker, but it's not rocket science, and Success is One of the Possible Outcomes. Go Paul !
I've just been watching some videos of working sailboats (sloops) along the north coast of Haiti. Boats, rigs and sails appear to be made from whatever could be found, and they do sail ! Fascinating !
Sep 13, 2016, 01:45 AM
A quick and possibly silly question but did you guys attach the cabin and cargo to the deck before or after you varnished the deck? I am almost at that stage now but am aiming for a high quality finish and wonder how you guys have managed it?
Sep 13, 2016, 02:03 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Thanks Jimbo Sailor

Thanks Jimbo for the kind words. I'm really not up for a "King" position, but I am happy to know you guys are having fun with "Irene". True story is that I built several models before the design evolved to be "Irene". I was really happy with her performance and eager to spread my joy. Now I am so happy to see others building and adding their own touches and innovations.
I reckon we'll all be watching , as Paul (glidn'n'slidin') is about to launch "Deborah". Golly, I hope she floats right side up and sails forward....Gary
Sep 13, 2016, 02:41 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Varnished deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumanity01
A quick and possibly silly question but did you guys attach the cabin and cargo to the deck before or after you varnished the deck? I am almost at that stage now but am aiming for a high quality finish and wonder how you guys have managed it?
I will suggest attaching the cabin and cargo hold coamings before varnishing. With the deck clamped in place on the hull, tack the pieces to the deck with super glue (CA), then remove the deck and apply an epoxy fillet on the underside of the deck around the cabin and cargo hold coamings. This will provide needed strength. On the topside of the deck, this joint can be covered with a trim strip (perhaps 1/8"x3/16" glued with CA) or filled carefully with a minimal amount of clear epoxy.
A similar dilemma presents itself when permanently attaching the deck to the hull. This calls for an epoxy fillet above deck. I mask off the deck to keep the epoxy putty confined to it's fillet. In the end, I paint over the epoxy fillet, after varnishing the deck...Gary
Sep 13, 2016, 03:01 AM
Thanks Gary, That gives me a sequence now to continue on with the build!
Sep 13, 2016, 10:26 AM
Cheers and beers!🍻
I just have to say that I am SO HAPPY to be part of this growing group of 'Irene' schooner boat builders! It is obvious that we all have a love for sailing and an eye for sailboats with character!
I enjoy watching each and every one of you progress with your own build!
and GO PAUL! Its gotta be exciting!!
Sep 14, 2016, 08:03 PM
Same here Jim! I'm really enjoying the build and check in here every day with great interest to see fellow builders progress and pickup tips and idea's along the way
Sep 14, 2016, 09:23 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Ha ha ya! The first thing I do every day is come here and like a kid at Christmas with hopes of a new present, I anticipate every new post!
I spend a lot of time searching the net for schooners, decks, rigging, you name it and I probably saved pics of it!
The information and ideas are literally limitless!

Wouldn't it be an awesome sight if we could all get together for a regatta! And of course, there would not be any....racing!

It would probably have to be a 'virtual' regatta. It would be real interesting to see just how far Garys plans are laying keels!
Sep 15, 2016, 01:43 AM
Thread OP

sails

They're coming. I think first attempts needn't be perfect.
I've been clamping a corner of the sail to the table edge on the side of my needle hand (left). Then I can pull tension with my right hand which helps me place the needle where I want it.

mainsail for Deborah (0 min 50 sec)

gaff sail for Deborah unfinished (1 min 10 sec)

Thanks for all the input!
Today a co-worker told me his son wants to build model boats and I showed him IRENE and have sent him links to this stuff. I hope we'll be collaborating soon!

Quick Reply