Sep 04, 2016, 12:21 PM
Thread OP

standing rigging

I glued some 1/16" brass loops into the booms, masts, and gaff and bent them with pliers and a bent nail. The pliers have teeth on the jaws and roughen the brass for adhesion.
A couple of photos to show it's starting to look like a sailboat! The masts are centered side-to-side already!
Now back to tying.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2016, 07:33 PM
Thread OP

wondering about sail control throws

I'm controlling all three sheets with the same servo.
All three sheets will extend and retract the same amount.
It seems therefore they should attach to all three booms the same distance from the gooseneck pivot points. Otherwise each sail will open to a different degree.
The IRENE plans show these attachments at 15-3/4", 12-1/2", and 17-3/4", quite a difference.
The sail control video does show the mainsail sheet attached quite a way in from the end of the boom.
Sep 07, 2016, 12:57 AM
Thread OP

Threading the hidden needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
Gary's flared copper leads look so good but I couldn't find the tubing.
Hopefully this arrangement will be strong enough and free running enough.
I'm trying to set everything to be reachable when the deck is glued down.
I'm gluing blue ceramic beads into holes in doubled door-skin plywood. The beads seem nice and smooth for the braided nylon sheets with holes of ample size. I'm sanding them roughly to get the glues to hold.
Then I'm gluing them where it seems the sheets need to be guided to the winch line.
The mainsail sheet passes through a bead set into the deck, then through one attached to the aft deck beam. It then passes through one glued to the winch drum cover box. (first three photos)
The foresail sheet passes through two glued to the winch drum cover box. (photos 3 and 4)
The jib sheet drops through the starboard side of the deck and then passes through a bead set at angles onto the winch turning block cover box. (last two photos)
I'll be finishing these fittings with more reinforcement and glue.
It was going to be really difficult threading the sheets in either direction but I realized it's easy to get halfway from either end.
So...I ran sheeting down through the deck and pulled the end up through an opening. Then kite string was stiffened with superglue and threaded through the glass beads under the deck. After gluing the string end to the sheet end the sheet was easily pulled all the way to the winch line. Yes!
Sep 07, 2016, 01:00 AM
Thread OP

Smooth operators

Gary's wooden blocks run so smoothly and easily!
Sep 07, 2016, 11:02 PM
sailtails - YouTube

sail control / boom lengths

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
I'm controlling all three sheets with the same servo.
All three sheets will extend and retract the same amount.
It seems therefore they should attach to all three booms the same distance from the gooseneck pivot points. Otherwise each sail will open to a different degree.
The IRENE plans show these attachments at 15-3/4", 12-1/2", and 17-3/4", quite a difference.
The sail control video does show the mainsail sheet attached quite a way in from the end of the boom.
Valid observation Paul, yes the boom lengths present a dilemma of sorts. When creating Irene, I opted for dear Simplicity with the use of the single winch servo for control. The boom lengths of course are "fixed" by the schooner's sail plan, and I always prefer sheeting "end of boom" rather than "mid boom". The jib boom and main boom are not greatly different from one another however the fore boom is. I worried some about this during design and build, but once sailing, found it to not be a problem. Here is how I deal with this when setting up the rig. I first run the winch servo to the end of it's (pulling in) travel, and adjust the jib and main sheets so that the booms are pulled in equally, to about 10 degrees from centerline. I then adjust the foresail sheet to pull it's boom in a bit tighter, about 5 degrees from centerline. When the control lets the sheets out, the fore boom might wind up a bit further out than the others, but thru mid range will be about same.
In the end, in real life use, the setup works fine and this discrepancy is hardly noticeable. I think one would have to be aboard the boat to really fine tune the sheeting much better.
Note that the boom lengths of the gaff rig version are different than the original Irene, but same situation/outcome apply.
Sep 07, 2016, 11:26 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Thanks for this great bit of info Gary! I am having an absolute blast with my build!
Here is a few more pics of my progress
Sep 08, 2016, 02:16 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, Gary!
What a beauty, Jimbo!
Sep 08, 2016, 08:33 PM
Jim Keller
Jimbo that teak and black tape is really stunning! I just started my build last week after getting the plans from Gary. One question, what is that "black vinyl edge tape" and where can I get it? Is it something you cut or ripped from sheet stock? Exactly what I wanted to do with my deck.
Sep 09, 2016, 01:18 AM
Cheers and beers!🍻

2p-10 CA glue suzes

Just a note on 2p-10 glue size. I mentioned to get the 10oz size, based on price per volumn compared to the smaller 2oz size. This is okay IF one can basically spend full time on your build. I also use it on an almost daily basis at work, so shelf life does not become an issue.
Due to the shelf life, it may be better to use the 2oz size as depending on humidity and storage situation, the 10oz size might not last.

Hi Jim...(assumsion)
Thanks for the nice compliment! The black tape I used is from the cabinet shop I work at. It is known as PVC 'edge tape' and is what is used to edge all the cabinet edges and comes in a wide selection of colours. It comes in .5mm, 1mm and 3mm common thickness. .5mm is the most common and 7/8 (+-) width. You might be able to get some at your areas local finishing and woodwork supply. If not, go to a good cabinetmaking shop, six pack of beer in hand,(cabinet makers can be bought with beer!) and ask them for some. This edge tape comes without a glue backing.
It is easy to lay the tape out flat and cut into narrower strips with a razor knife, about 1/32-1/16 larger than the planking...this gets scraped flush later!

While at the store look for or inquire about 'FastCap 2-P10 glue and activator. 2-P10 is industrial grade CA glue and comes in 2oz and 10oz sizes and several viscositys from thin to gel. I prefer the 'Thick' one. And go for the 10oz
A word of caution...this stuff will stick to skin INSTANTLY! Using the activator and parts are stuck in 10 seconds! I have had it stick my fingers to material and to get it off, I had to create tension between finger and material...and use a razor knife to CAREFULLY shear away the bond to get set free!
Acetone also works as an activator as that is the main ingredient in the spray can.

What I did is CA a row of planks on, put CA onto a PVC strip, place it alongside the plank, then with a DRY PLANK, or strip of plastic, press the tape onto the glued down plank and dribble the activator on.
The next strip of planking, back-bevel the bottom edge that meets the PVC strip. Otherwise, the deck camber and residual glue will prevent the seam from being tight!

For estimating using 1/4" strips...,

(Beam width in inches)x4x(Overall Length) this will leave room for waste. You should be able to get 5+ strips of PVC from 7/8 wide tape.

Most of all, HAVE FUN! I havent had this much fun since telling my 5th grade teacher he has bad breath!! and that was LONG AGO!!!
Last edited by Jimbo Sailor; Sep 11, 2016 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Choice of CA sizes
Sep 09, 2016, 05:07 PM
Thread OP

Pelican Hooks working nicely

Gary's quick-release hooks for the shrouds are working just as hoped for! Bicycle spokes were easy to find here.
Sep 10, 2016, 01:08 AM
Thread OP

Snip

Sails are all cut out.
Sep 10, 2016, 07:51 PM
Thread OP

starting the sails

Sharpening my scissors was a big help.
I'm sticking pieces together with Elmer's glue stick and pinning the long edges.
Cotton poplin and nylon upholstery thread. Tarred nylon bolt rope.
Very excited to get to this stage. Can't wait to hoist 'em.
Back to the needle.
Sep 11, 2016, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkeller10
Jimbo that teak and black tape is really stunning! I just started my build last week after getting the plans from Gary. One question, what is that "black vinyl edge tape" and where can I get it? Is it something you cut or ripped from sheet stock? Exactly what I wanted to do with my deck.
What Jim used might be easier to work with... But I used black construction paper. Easy to cut. And working with it was pretty simple most of the time. It is flimsier, so I cut mine wider than the planking so I could work it around. I used two pieces between each board. After finishing it, I had to go and trim it down to the deck level. That was the hard part.

My scale is much smaller though. And I wouldn't want to try and fiddle three thicknesses of the paper to widen the "caulk lines" more.

I was going to post up a picture... But it looks like I haven't taken any fully finished pictures yet... Oh, here we go!

Before finishing, but closer up.

Sep 11, 2016, 11:51 AM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Thats great! Must be an exciting time being almost done!

Its great that there are so many ways to do things as proven here with using the craft paper. Lots of ways to skin a cat...

Cheers! Jim
Last edited by Jimbo Sailor; Sep 11, 2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Hit send TOO SOON!
Sep 11, 2016, 09:43 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Details

Hi Gang, I just want to say I am delighted to see these projects coming along. glidin'n'slidin is sewing sails, (maybe sailing soon?)
Jimbo Sailor is having fun doing some really nice detail work. Check out Jimbo Sailors Blog to see his ships wheel and compass! Thanks guys for sharing your projects with all of us. Cheers to all...Gary

Quick Reply