Oct 03, 2019, 10:13 PM
Mad on modding

The Indexers are back and up to date!

Fully up to date October 5/6th 2019

Last edited by robcrusoe; Oct 06, 2019 at 12:16 AM. Reason: updated
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2019, 10:43 PM

Andrea Lynn launching

Hey Guys the wind sort of showed up on a day I had off and free time to play was available ! I took the Andrea Lynn to the Salem Baptist church pond near me. Its a nice little body of water with access to the entire shore if my boat ended up somewhere where I didn't expect it to go. The water level is real low due to the drought we are having. I took a fishing rod and tied off a bobber a bit more than 2 ft from a lead weight at the end of the line. I cast that line in a bunch of places in the water and found the depth to be good about 5 - 6ft from the waters edge.

The video will no doubt sow off my lack of sailing skills but I still had fun and the boat worked great. I have been nervous that the boat would very easily be flipped sideways and take on water at a slight breeze with the keel retracted. This turned out not to be the case. it definitely is less stable but not to the point that will doom the boat if it gets any wind. With the keel up it skids a lot with rudder input but its still very controllable.

Shooting the video was tough to do at the same time controlling the boat. Per Thayers suggestion I did hang a small tripod from the camera and that did help steady the shots a lot. My lame camera mic makes the wind sound strong but really it was very inconsistent in strength and direction. I don't know how to fix the audio so just adjust your speaker volume is all I can say !

Pete

Andrea Lynn launch (5 min 10 sec)
Oct 10, 2019, 11:26 PM
Mad on modding
Everything re shooting the clip looked fine to me.

I'd love to see the look on a onlookers face as you raise that keel. F

well done.or me I'd exclaim "OMG, the keel has come loose!" or something.

Nice turn of speed at times, overall a very unique debut.

Well done, everything including the moose.
Oct 11, 2019, 12:04 AM
Flying Models Plans
Pete, she looks great in the water, and the functionality of your keel is a great boost to the design. Being able to launch at the beach and not walk in is invaluable.

Glad to see the camera stabilizing worked out so well for you. Certainly harder to hold, but easier to hold steady.

Well done!

Thayer
Oct 11, 2019, 01:59 AM
Thread OP
Congratulations, Pete! Andrea Lynn looks just great!
Oct 11, 2019, 06:19 AM
Congrats Pete, She looks great in the water.
Oct 11, 2019, 07:44 AM
Fabulous! That is genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apointofview
with the keel retracted [...] it definitely is less stable but not to the point that will doom the boat if it gets any wind.
It will certainly be solidly stable with the keel fully extended. But that lead bulb is massively heavy (Moosively?). Even fully retracted, that amount of weight will still exert plenty of righting effort to keep the boat upright.

If the wind is too strong you can just let out the sail sheets. Except, you'll always need to watch out which side the wind is coming from as the raised keel traps your foresail boom to one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apointofview
With the keel up it skids a lot with rudder input but its still very controllable.
That'll be the bigger issue. The hull has a relatively flat bottom with much less lateral resistance whenever the keel is raised.

You can see, at 2:55 in your video, how nimble these boats are with loads of rudder authority. With the keel retracted you should have no problem sailing downwind, but it would be very interesting to see how well she does with the fin raised on a reach sailing across the wind or trying to beat upwind.

Oct 11, 2019, 08:40 AM
Looks great. Did well with the video too.
Oct 12, 2019, 02:44 PM
It's been absolutely dead flat calm here for the last few days, no wind at all.

With no sailing whatsoever, this video is of course totally off topic. I've been having fun instead with my Insta360 camera mounted on my canoe. Here's a more comprehensive tour of our lake for y'all.

Magical Autumn Evening Paddle - 10-minute version (9 min 55 sec)
Oct 12, 2019, 03:57 PM
Flying Models Plans
With weather like that, you need yourself one of these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4av1mtKGkps

Taking a turn with the paddle though, still looks like a great way to spend the evening. Especially with the calendar losing pages as fast as it does at this time of year.
Oct 12, 2019, 05:41 PM
One sweet video !
Oct 12, 2019, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
What a beautiful video and expression of affection for Kamanik. You've used the camera to good effect. Thanks much for sharing!
Oct 14, 2019, 06:50 AM
Sorry for the long delay guys life can get busy and I ended up with another boat but its a bit bigger and not much of a keel !!

robcrusoe - Thanks but the onlookers were a few moms on morning walks with their kids so I don't think they knew what they were looking as far as the keel goes. They liked the boat though and so did their kids. I'll eventually get a feel for this kind of boating, a couple of the turns worked nicely now if I can figure out what I did those times

Thayer - thanks ! I The keel experiment seems to work like I hoped it would. Not everything I think will work pans out. The extra mass on the camera worked and its such a simple and cheap solution

tigman,paul,ourbluehorizon - Thanks, this is a really neat way to move around on the water

Zbip57 - It is a lot of weight down low. Your right the retracting keel has forced me to remember to have the sheets loose. In testing on the bench I had the winch all the way in holding the sails too close to the center, hit the retract switch and the keel caught the lines on the boom that are there to guide the sail as its lowered ( not sure the term ) and broke a couple things as it rose up and would have done more damage if I didn't shut it down. Also your right it traps that sail so a bit of a check list needs to happen before retracting the keel. Not sure I want to tempt fate by sailing around retracted for long

Pete
Oct 26, 2019, 05:14 PM
Thread OP

end of season maybe

I've been waiting for both snow and some breeze but it hasn't happened yet. Still hoping for a sail with snow!
Here's a view of Fetcher Pond with Steamboat ski slopes on Mount Werner. It's named for John Fetcher and is appropriate for all the doggy fun that happens!
Our dog could have been named Fetcher.
Oct 26, 2019, 07:09 PM
Mad on modding

{Deleted]

Sorry.. will be back
Last edited by robcrusoe; Oct 26, 2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Errors

Quick Reply