Aug 27, 2019, 05:36 PM
Thread OP

Many ways

Use blue masking tape, cut out the templates, tape them on with little pieces of tape, draw the outline, remove templates, draw in the short gaps. For duplicate parts like the hull sides, turn the template over for one part to get best side of plywood on both sides of boat. 😄 Put check mark on template to avoid making extras.
I poked lots of holes through the template lines, then connected the holes with pen. Not recommended.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2019, 06:00 PM
Thread OP

Such a sensible model design

Quote:
Originally Posted by apointofview
Thanks everyone but the credit for this boat looking so good goes to Gary ! He designed a great looking easy to build vessel and made it available to all of us. All I did was build what he created. ( with a little change here and there )

On a side note the retracting keel came in handy right off the bat. As my boat floated away from me at launch and the keel was deployed she came to a sudden stop. My guess was the keel caught something hidden under water. I hit the switch raised it back up a bit and off she went. Kind of fun all that design work paid off in less than a minute.
Pete
I had no interest in bending hundreds of tiny wood strips and going crazy building a scale boat. Neither did I love sailing a plastic kit boat. Building, sailing, and sharing my Deborah has been about perfect!

That's really great your extra effort pays off so well!
Paul
Aug 28, 2019, 10:54 AM
Hi everybody. I'm new to schooner sailing. I race a lot of other boats, but I picked up a schooner from Alan Suydam in Maryland, and I've absolutely fallen in love with it. So much so that I'm picking up another one of Al's schooners on my way back from the Vintage nationals in September. I'm just happy to find so many people on this thread since I'm looking for other people to sail with. I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago. I'd love to find out about schooner sailing activity. Thanks!
Aug 28, 2019, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
Hey, kensailfast, don't miss the Schooner Thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...chooner-Thread
Glad you found the Bearospace Boats!
Sep 02, 2019, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the tips on how to cut from plans, I started today and making headway. Thanks again.
Sep 03, 2019, 10:30 PM
We did our 6-day windjammer outing last week out of Camden, Maine, on the schooner Lewis R. French. It was a huge success! My wife and I loved every moment of the trip and we can't wait to go again, next time bringing friends and family along. If any of you ever have the opportunity to do this, you won't regret it.

Here's a little video I made using my Insta360 camera.

Schooner Lewis R. French - Lunchtime (2 min 33 sec)

And here's a video of captain Garth describing what each trip is like.

Windjamming In Maine (6 min 53 sec)
Sep 04, 2019, 11:28 AM

Retracting fin and rudder

Very impressive. For your next challenge how about a weighted "crew" that can be moved across the deck as you change tack to prevent a capsize.
I find it hard enough making sure that lines don't get tangled below decks or that I am stressing the winch too much. The boat looked great and its always more fun when you can sail with others.
regards
Bob
Sep 04, 2019, 11:41 AM

Windjamming in Maine

I could do that all summer. Magic.
Sep 08, 2019, 11:07 AM

Windjammer

Those were great videos ! We took half day sail out of that same harbor on a smaller vessel and that was enough to push me to build my version of Garyís design. I highly recommend to anyone to do something like that if you can.
Pete
Sep 17, 2019, 03:48 PM

curved transom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul~
I've soaked a piece of this lauan plywood and wrapped it around a 5-gallon pail.
It bent very nicely, smooth and stiff and ready to be the transom! Just a hint of rippling on the inside surface. I've also ground and sanded the outer layer from one side of a piece and found it's nice and flexy still dry. I think it would be strong enough for the transom when soaked with epoxy. It could also be doubled. Either way, I want to do the curved transom after doing a straight one on Deborah.
Hello Paul,Have you any pics of your curved transom as that's what I intend to do once I have my Irene build up and running .
Kind regards
Mike
Sep 17, 2019, 04:04 PM

Beautiful Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by apointofview
My version of this great boat is moving along. I did a lot of reading about getting a nice finish out of rattle can paint. Here is the result. Itís many coats of sandable primer two coats of color and three coats of clear on the bottom of the hull. Next up was 2000 grit sanding the clear to remove the orange peel and then lots of polishing with meguiars 205. I never tried this hard for a paint job and Iím not sure why I went overboard this time but it was nice to see the work pay off. I know plenty of folks can do better but this is a new high mark for me.
Hello from the UK apointofview ,
Did you really only use ordinary shake and use spray paint for this finish ! Wow
Mike
Sep 17, 2019, 04:12 PM
She is a Beauty
Sep 18, 2019, 10:04 AM

Rudder Only Option ?

I would like to throw this question out to the forum but obviously to Gary as he is what the "Irene" forum is all about . Have any of the members built Irene as a free sailing / Rudder only model , and if so what are your thoughts on this . Also would it be possible to use bags of ballast as the weight and balance of this model instead of the long fin and lead weight ?
Kind regards
Mike
Sep 18, 2019, 11:42 AM
Flying Models Plans
Mike,

Ballasting within the hull will give you the needed displacement, but it won't have nearly the stabilizing leverage of the fin keel. As much as we don't like how they look out of the water, they are all but mandatory for our models.

Gary's original Irene didn't have a winch in it, and was sailed rudder only. I am sure you could free sail any of his designs, though would want to restrict that to a pond, and likely with the model fitted with a steering vane.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:19 PM
Thanks for that Thayer

Quick Reply