May 07, 2019, 03:21 AM

Search for the "Wandrin' Star"

Our boating pond is also the training ground for a club of cave divers. There are no caves in this pond but they use it for technical exercises. Looking for a lost ship makes there life somewhat more exiting.
So far they have carried out 3 search parties, 2 on sunday and on last night. Each search party consists of 3 divers.
Visibility is almost zero at 10 meter depth so they have to feel for the ship.
There will be further searches this week and the following days until they find the "Wandrin' Star". They are assuring me that they will find her no matter what.
In the mean time I am thanking you all for the nice reactions and advice. It makes me feel part of this community.
I got a set of plans from Gary for the new Annie. Depending on how fast my Irene will be found I will start building the Annie. I have learned a lot in building the Irene and this will make building the Annie far more easy.
Whatever next ship I will sail, it will be equipped with some kind of recovery device. I will take extra care in the sealing of the deck and the cabins.
Thank you for your helpful advice.
The photos show the pond and the divers last night. The ship went down about in the middle of the pond.
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2019, 04:54 AM
Mad on modding
That's how it was for us, no visibilty and an uneven lake floor [many old gold mining diggings] .We eventually recovered one, but never the other.

While it wont be known for a while yet what happened to fill it so quickly, I am convinced (been wrong before) that a hatch (or two) was dislodged by getting smacked by water (like, wave) and the gust kept it heeled over long enough to start taking in a lot water, preventing it from righting. There's a marine term for that, I believe.
Gary will know if there is any merit in that assumption in regards to these kind of boat.
But regardless, I'm going over all my boats and pinning every hatch so it can not be dislodged, ever.
Within reason I am not fussed about some water getting in when the boat is under rough conditions, the inside of the boats are as waterproof as all the outer and can easily be removed once beached.
But let's trust that the guys will find it soon as prolonged exposure to water, under some pressure, to the inner surfaces is not good. Regrettably the electronics will be ruined..

Thanks for the update and photos, everyone is thinking of you .
May 08, 2019, 02:33 AM

found her back !!!

The divers have been successful on Tuesday night around 10 pm. Another team of 3 went in and after about 1.5 hours they found her standing upright in the water. With all sails on.
I noticed that 2 covers are missing: the cargo cover of the foredeck and the cargo cover on the rear deck where the steering wheel is supposed to be Some of the trimmings I glued on afterward came loose but all essential parts, such as hull and glued on interior bulkheads are OK. Electronics will have to be replaced but that is a minor problem.
Next time she goes in the water she will have a very well sealed off super structure and certainly all covers secured as Gary advised. Also she will be equipped with some kind of recovery device just in case this ever happens again.
Thanks you all for your advice, concerns and sympathy.
Here are some photo's of the "rebirth" of the Wandrin' Star.
May 08, 2019, 05:51 AM
That's a big relief! So glad you got her back.
May 08, 2019, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
Hooray! Fresh hot cookies for the divers<grin>
May 08, 2019, 09:38 AM
sailtails - YouTube
Cheers to all involved ! Happy Day !
Gary
May 13, 2019, 06:50 PM
Love a good gaff-rigged sail.
May 13, 2019, 09:27 PM
Seagoon

Quiet around here isnít it?

Hopefully itís quiet because everyone is busy building and canít tear themselves away.
Iíve been making some progress, interrupted only by ďworkĒ and a family health crisis, fortunately the crisis had a good outcome, work on the other hand is ongoing.
So, I finally glued down the deck, installed my mast tubes, and made the deck blocks to go around them.
Tapered the masts,installed there cheek blocks and stained them.
Made some brass chain plates for the shrouds.
Installed a top board around the gunwales, and am now working on the top rail to go around the boat.
Still got a long way to go but a bit of progress is starting to show.

Chris.
May 13, 2019, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Very nice, Chris😊
I would tell myself that a little something had to get done each day. Deborah still took lots of months.
May 14, 2019, 03:15 AM
Mad on modding
Good presentation Chris. And yes, things are quiet.. not sure how much of it is because of building but it is possible..

Keep the photos flowing.
May 14, 2019, 03:19 AM
Mad on modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
Love a good gaff-rigged sail.

Hee, hee... A close look and it appears to be staged, not moving, so the ladies are not going to show any ankle, etc..

Good advertising for the sport, though.. back then.
May 22, 2019, 05:09 PM

The maiden that did not happened...

The water on Balboa Lake was too low and I was not able to push the boat further- she was sitting on the concrete bottom.
Next time I will try Hansen Dam where the water level is much higher...
Oh well...

I want to say big THANK YOU to creators of this wonderful project and to all who chip in invaluable helping informations !
Pictures from next voyage will follow !
Last edited by Janusz Jawien; May 22, 2019 at 07:14 PM.
May 23, 2019, 06:28 PM
Thread OP

Another Beautiful Schooner

Very nice, Janusz, with great details! Wishing you more water
Thanks so much for sharing, it'll be great to see her sail!
Paul
Last edited by Paul~; May 24, 2019 at 02:51 AM.
May 23, 2019, 07:46 PM
Thank you g'n's for kind words !
She still needs some detailing like steering wheel, bell and name plate ... her name is Alicja (Polish for Alice).
I had reall fun building her knowing that she is "all mine" ! That I do not have to adhere to any scale and I can build her "the way I like it" !
Being free from any class rules was another bonus....:-)
May 23, 2019, 11:59 PM
Flying Models Plans
She is lovely. Hopefully the tide will come in soon, and you will be able to get across the shoals to deeper water.

Thayer

Quick Reply