May 23, 2020, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Randall
(...)Thank you Pmlarouche, simulated panels, that sounds more straightforward, but you have obviously put in some care and thought to get the panel width and angle to the sail right. Your rigging looks excellent and I would be most interested to see more photos posted. Good luck with the launch (...)Mick
Thanks, You are wolcome. After i bought the nylon ripstop, i realized that there is like a line in the fabric every 1/8 of an inch, I only followed these lines, each 5 lines, a seam. You may not like that fabric line, make sure to see it in real in a fabric store brefore if you choose that. And to make hole, i use soldering iron with a sharp head.

As for me, never had intention to race, unless i would have to same boat, and it would only be for the fun of it. I found that the Kamanik schooner from zbip was sailing so gracefully that I fell in love with the same setup, so I don't mind if my sails are not as efficient.

Its a shelf model, but this website helped me a lot understanding how to figure doing mine : https://suburbanshipmodeler.com/cate...dian-schooner/ (plus all posted in here, especialy zBip and thanks to all other!).
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2020, 03:25 AM

Panelled sails

Thanks once again for the replies.

The ethos you describe s exactly what attracted me to Bearospace boats, and I am more than pleased and surprised how, for a first boat, it has turned out.
I know that every part has been scratch made and I share your pleasure that it has been made with simple materials.
However , having said that, I do look at other Bearospace boats and admire their workmanship and have made improvements, such as building a new dory and changed the sheets.(Thank you Rob)
So I think I will go ahead and make a new jib, just for the fun of it and as an experiment.
Thanks Pmlarouche for the Bluenose schooner website, I have bookmarked this and read will read carefully.

Appreciate your interest.

Mick
May 24, 2020, 09:23 AM
Hey Mick

May I ask a question regarding your closing comment about Schooner Bluenose ... in your latest forum post above ??

If you were considering a future yacht to build ... and it was going to be Bluenose ... there are some things you might want to consider BEFORE YOU START ... as well as ... that you might consider other yachts that scale down to RC Sailing scale.

You might want to read this part of another forum thread ... see link ... which is just one of many threads on a similar topic of challenges to scale full-size yacht down to an RC yacht.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e#post44505437

Just a thought and some things for you to consider before your next build.

It is great to have a forum and resource like this ... especially insightful help vs challenges that takes the fun out of building these wonderful leisure time hobbies.

All the best in your adventures in RC sailing n building.
Last edited by slo.ca6; May 24, 2020 at 09:34 AM.
May 24, 2020, 11:33 AM
Thanks for interest slo.ca6,
I have been seeking information of sailmaking from the forum and Pmlarouche kindly sent me
to a link to a gentleman (or lady ) building a Bluenose schooner primarily for making the sails.

Building a Bluenose Schooner is clearly beyond my ability, at present, but I thank you for your reply
and have read through the topic you sent me.

Best wishes

Mick
May 24, 2020, 11:43 AM
Mick

You are most welcome ... indeed there are many variations on how to build and depends on prior skill level and tools available to the builder and in some cases where you live can determine your choices of materials

I will look for the Bearospace video Gary Webb did for making sails ... if I recall Gary might not have done a specific video on sails - but rather he might have covered sail making as part of a bigger video

UPDATE ... here is a forum post by Kay Fisher of his build video (cool time lapse) showing his entire build ... sail making at Video time mark 30:10 ... this might not give enough detail - but - you could always send a PM-Private Msg to Kay Fisher ... or ... Gary Webb directly ... asking for more details ... hope this helps

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post43536971

Also ... I might have to search for the forum link that has a REFERENCE GUIDE to various Bearospace build questions ... it will likely have a quick reference to the specific forum link on Bearospace yacht sail making
Last edited by slo.ca6; May 24, 2020 at 12:11 PM.
May 24, 2020, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.ca6
I will look for the Bearospace video Gary Webb did for making sails ...
DIY Cotton Sails
RC Sailboat Build - DIY Cotton Sails (5 min 26 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.ca6
Also ... I might have to search for the forum link that has a REFERENCE GUIDE to various Bearospace build questions ... it will likely have a quick reference to the specific forum link on Bearospace yacht sail making
rcg-topic-finder
http://tomcrusoe.racing/rcg-topic-finder-ver-4/
May 24, 2020, 05:08 PM
Your the man Zbip57 ...

Quick draw on finding and posting the link for the video I mentioned ... where Gary Webb shows how he makes sails for his Bearospace yachts ...

Many folks will appreciate all the effort Gary Webb (and help from his son Spike) has put into making the building of these yachts EASY TO FOLLOW.
Jun 01, 2020, 01:15 AM
www.rcsail.boats

Our Topic Indexer update. ** for new & recent Members**

New builders help utility

Click to go to EZYINDEX
Last edited by robcrusoe; May 19, 2022 at 06:09 PM.
Jun 03, 2020, 07:42 AM

Simulating panel on sail

I reinforced my nylon ripstop for the top sail and the corner stifness is causing me problem when sails are changin of side. Nylon ripstop would be good for the basic 3 sail irene. We be testing coton fabric from bed sheets. The ray in the fabric could simulate the panel, test with added sew. If this can give ideas to someone.
Jun 04, 2020, 11:04 PM
www.rcsail.boats

Looking for a particular video clip?

[CENTER]If you are new to this forum and perhaps wondering which model to start with, by using the YouTube Indexer you can few grouped videos of all the models as well as instruction videos of popular topics.

Note that you can set the number of entries per page.

Click to go to EZYINDEX
Last edited by robcrusoe; May 19, 2022 at 06:09 PM.
Jun 09, 2020, 01:34 PM
Flying Models Plans
Rob,

That is a great index, thanks for putting it together!

Thayer
Jun 12, 2020, 05:22 PM
Thread OP

Gary's video fitting Hatch Covers

Here's Gary's new video on removable cabin roofs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHej...reen></iframe>
Jun 13, 2020, 08:47 PM
www.rcsail.boats
Thanks Paul. Although I'm subscribed I don't get any notices. Maybe he knows I'll only do it differently.

But I must say he does the step by step so well that maybe next time, for me. Mine have always been different

I note he has two videos, one for hinged, the other is removable.

I see somebody gave him a thumbs down. How rude.

I hope the Mexican COVID situation improves for everyone down there.
Jun 14, 2020, 09:43 AM
Flying Models Plans
Rob, in addition to subscribing, you need to click the youtube bell to know when new videos are posted.
Jun 14, 2020, 04:27 PM
www.rcsail.boats

The ultimate scale-up project

Came across this while setting up my subscribe notification (thanks Thayer).

While it says it is 7 foot long, my Diana is 70" (with bowsprit) so, maybe possible for a manned version of maybe a Cutter?

Ok, I may have gotten into the rum a bit heavy right now but as something of interest, I think it worth posting up.

Don't count on Gary coming up with one, it won't get in through his hatchway!

ONE MAN MINUET YACHTS (2 min 31 sec)
Last edited by robcrusoe; Jun 14, 2020 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply