Bearospace schooner Irene - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 28, 2015, 12:24 AM
Discussion

Bearospace schooner Irene

Hi, this boat has really caught my eye.
RC Schooner "Irene" set up & sailing (4 min 44 sec)

I hope some of us will build her this winter.
I've ordered and downloaded the plans. I like the scale-like design, simplicity of construction, low cost of materials, and good humor evident in her inspiration.

Next steps for me are finding a printer and doorskin plywood in this small mountain town. No instructions seem available so I'm hoping some of us can help each other. May the Bear sail on!

Thanks for looking, Paul
Last edited by glidin'n'slidin'; Nov 27, 2017 at 12:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2015, 01:11 AM
Can't help you find door skins. For the printer call the UPS store in Steamboat Springs.
Here is their webpage.......
https://steamboatsprings-co-4730.the...ional-printing

They will probably prefer the plans as a pdf file. Give them a call and ask.
Nov 29, 2015, 09:18 AM

door skins

Try a mom and pop lumber yard Lowes and home depot stopped selling them awhile ago. looks like a fun build.
Mike

Nov 29, 2015, 10:57 AM

IRENE Sails

Through the kindness of IRENE's designer and promoter we've been provided with the sail plan information for the boat. So builders now have a source for white, woven Dacron sails for this nifty little craft. Our only problem is to stop holding the hull panel patterns up to our chunk of door skin material, and get back to the sewing machine. http://CarrSails.com
Nov 29, 2015, 12:08 PM
I love it also.
Is there any other Schooner kits available anywhere?
Jim
Nov 29, 2015, 01:07 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Try to find a used hollow core mahogany door from here and make it out of real doorskin plywood:
http://www.steamboatsmyhome.com/blog...terials-cache/

All the interior doors in my house are made of this, so I would have a great supply of 1/8" doorskins for boat-building if my better half allowed it
Nov 29, 2015, 11:38 PM

door skins

Skin the doors she will not find out till the boat is built.
tongue firm placed in cheek.
Mike

Nov 30, 2015, 12:59 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Now that you mention it, she would not notice the inside of some of the closet doors missing their skins until the spring...... hmmmm.
<Big Grin>
Dec 04, 2015, 08:35 PM

First progress

UPS provided the prints for under $15. Nice job.
A local cabinet shop gave me several large pieces of 2.5mm plywood, 8 feet by various widths. It's a hardwood veneer looking stuff.

A closer look at the plans seems to show a lack of radio sail control. The controlling ends of the sheets slide across the deck on brass "horses". I'm new to sailing but it seems you would want radio sail control like on my Victoria. I'm thinking of a separate servo and channel for each sail. Two of the channels would be slaved to the third on my six channel radio.
Dec 05, 2015, 12:07 AM

Schooner kit and servos

Victor Model products has a schooner, Mary J. Ward. It is about 45" long. It uses one, large servo for all three sails and a small sevo for the rudder. I built one. It uses a Hitec HS 815BB for sail control and a Futaba S3010 for the rudder. These work just fine.
Dec 05, 2015, 02:41 AM
Kimo
Another source for a rc schooner is Tippecanoe model boats. Its a 47" long and all western red cedar. I have three of his oats and they are great.
Dec 09, 2015, 11:13 PM

Some progress and a Gaff Mainsail option from Gary Webb!

I've started cutting parts with a Shark handsaw, it's going well. I'm using an awl to mark corners and connecting the dots with a Sharpie. I've also noticed on the plans accomodation for sail winch servo(s). It's a good thing winter's so long here!
Gary Webb, Irene's creator, has produced a plan and details for a gaff mainsail option. It increases total sail area, lengthens the bowsprit, and eliminates the bumkin. It may be a tough choice but not right away, there's little change to the hull.
Dec 09, 2015, 11:24 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Sail control for the Bearospace schooner "Irene"

Sail control has since been added to a boat of this design. See the set-up
RC Sailboat Build Detail - Sail Winch System (3 min 30 sec)

Also see more of these boats sailing
Sailing Scratchbuilt RC Model Yachts (2 min 27 sec)
and contact http://www.bearospaceindustries.com for more info. or advice about building schooner "Irene"
Dec 09, 2015, 11:43 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Building the Bearospace schooner "Irene"

See a video of the build of a boat to the schooner "Irene"
RC Schooner "Irene" Build Part 1 Hull & Deck (5 min 19 sec)
Dec 16, 2015, 09:45 PM

Good jigsaw blade

Bosch jigsaw blade T101AO3 cuts nicely on this doorskin plywood.
Last edited by glidin'n'slidin'; Nov 12, 2017 at 02:31 AM.