Tweagle td. The best even better - Page 3 - RC Groups
Dec 06, 2015, 07:13 PM
F3B and F3K
Hi guys

I had some good flying sessions this weekend. There was some wind and a bit bumpy air from upwind buildings and other obstacles, so it was good to test the flight stability of the plane.
The CG was set at 74mm and the elevator travel was adjusted to get the desired pitch response. From the surface deflections, I then calculated how small I can make the servo horns so that I get the tail deflection that I determined in the flight testing with ~100% servo throw.
I ended up with 4.5mm servo horns, which gives a mechanical advantage of almost 1:3 (three times taller rudder and elevator horns). This affords for a stiff linkage and especially the elevator can be trimmed very precisely (which I like to adjust the launch trajectory I want).
The tail deflections are also rather small, in the range of 6mm for elevator up and all the way down to the boom for push over.

Even in the windy conditions, the plane flew very solid for its light weight and moved well. This surprised me, as with other models at higher weights (say 230-240gr range), I would not have fun flying that light in wind.
With the small deflections, the pitch response is well balanced, not too pitchy, but it can crank tight circles when needed. I adjusted the aileron differential such that when changing bank angle abruptly multiple times, the plane did not pitch up or down. Decoupling roll from the pitch axis helped circling in the windy air. With the correct settings, the plane felt very precise to steer.

I compared the launch against the XXlite. I could not stuff the futaba telemetry in either plane, as the bulky 7008 receivers only fit in my Flitzebogen. Thus I had to eyeball the launch heigths.
The XXlite launches like a M@*$# and from my experience with logged flights, I would say it went over 70m repeatedly (which it should in wind). The Tweagle TD launched equally well, I would not trust here my visual impression to give a clear verdict which one went higher (as their aspect ratio is different). Both planes launched awesome in those conditions and put a smile on my face.

I am still actively tuning the plane to my liking, but I like what I am seeing from the plane so far, it has potential.
It appears that the modifications Alex made to the td version improved the launch noticably (and the first version of the Tweagle was already a good launching plane). Thus this alone is a win, provided the plane can deliver a similar performance over the rest of the flight envelope. So far I do not see an indication that it couldn't.
The feeling of flying a heavier plane instead of a feather still needs to be better quantified by more one to one comparisons against other planes, but it is surprising to say the least.

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Dec 06, 2015 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2015, 11:10 PM
Reto,
I use R7008SB in all of my models and it fits very easy in all of them (Twister, Tweagle, Vibe, Salpeter).
The "secret" is to remove the huge casing and use shrink to cover the Rx, it fits very well along the battery since its rear end (the other end from the servo connectors) is only a single board so its vey thin.
Eitan.
Dec 07, 2015, 10:05 AM
Reto,

Thanks for the review.
I see you are using a T-blade.
Is that the recommended launch-blade now?
I have a couple of blades from Eitan that I also use on my Tweagle.

Danny
Dec 07, 2015, 11:12 AM
Danny

Personally I don't recommend T blades at all. For a nice and smooth release its very important that the blade sits at exactly the right angle and that index and middle finger release at the same time. T blades are a bit harder to mount but even harder to take out when the angle doesn't fit your needs.

If you loosely bend your hand you will notice that your middle finger, even being longer then your index finger, is not more behind but more in front towards the flying direction. For that i use and recommend a simple straight blade that is mounted with an angle , bottom side more in front. With straight mounted blades and T blades the chance is big that you hang longer on the bottom side of the peg and with that you put great forces on the wingtip which can lead to buckling or delams .
Last edited by Alex Hoekstra; Dec 07, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Dec 07, 2015, 11:44 AM
Thnx for the explaination Alex.
I was just wondering and am glad I can use one of Eitan's blades.
I like them better than a straight blade.

Danny
Dec 07, 2015, 12:12 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Everybody has a preference when it comes to launching blades. Everybody has different length fingers and throwing styles. For instance, I use my middle two fingers because they are nearly the same length while my index finger is much shorter than my middle finger. I prefer the curved T blade that comes with the Snipe. It's strong, easy to install never comes loose from the wing. I also like that it's positioned out at the very tip of the wing.
Dec 12, 2015, 06:54 AM

Pink

First wings with the pink (magenta) paint
Dec 12, 2015, 08:50 AM
Retirement is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hoekstra
First wings with the pink (magenta) paint
Just curious Alex, which one am I getting? Prefer the lightest weight of course...

Thanks, Dick

Rethinking choice... Prefer the one on top with the straight stripes... better for a lefty! Thanks again.
Last edited by rofly; Dec 12, 2015 at 09:00 AM.
Dec 12, 2015, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofly
Just curious Alex, which one am I getting? Prefer the lightest weight of course...

Thanks, Dick

Rethinking choice... Prefer the one on top with the straight stripes... better for a lefty! Thanks again.
Similair like the one on top but with the name in white.
Dec 12, 2015, 12:01 PM
Retirement is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hoekstra
Similair like the one on top but with the name in white.
Perfect Alex and many thanks. Can't wait to fly this bird!

Dick
Dec 12, 2015, 10:38 PM
No really, it doesn't have one
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofly
Perfect Alex and many thanks. Can't wait to fly this bird!

Dick
I think we're going to have to arrange an intervention... I'm pretty sure you have one of everything by now!
Dec 13, 2015, 01:01 AM
Retirement is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoth
I think we're going to have to arrange an intervention... I'm pretty sure you have one of everything by now!
Too funny Clif, but not really. No Vibe or Vortex............. yet.

I think the Tweagle will be a great add and perhaps superior in some respects for my flying style. The Snipes still remain a mainstay, with the Stream NXT a total pleasure and quite Snipe like, and the Flitz being the easiest to fly, a wonderful bird. The Stream is super for light air at only 3.5oz/sf, with the CX4 being quite good for windy stuff. All the other stuff mentioned at 3.6 to 3.9 oz/sf wing loading show huge versatility with the ability to ballast. We are so fortunate to have these wonderful birds to fly!

Hope to see you at the JEM and share some war stories...

Dick
Dec 13, 2015, 12:32 PM
No really, it doesn't have one
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Dec 14, 2015, 10:53 AM
honestly, i'm not sure you will notice significant difference in the flying of Tweagle and Stream NXT, both have the same zone airfoil? wing area is almost identical. looking forward to hear more flying reports. the plane looks very nice though
Dec 14, 2015, 11:46 AM
The Tweagle does not have Zone airfoils.