Tweagle td. The best even better - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 28, 2015, 08:03 AM
Kyle Clayton
Nice work Alex. Looking forward to seeing one of these in person.
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2015, 12:56 PM
Cognitive dissonance
Beautiful Alex!

I love my Tweagle. It is a lot of fun to fly, and performs and handles so well. The TD version looks to have some great improvements. Now I just need to scape together a bigger pile of these colourful but low-value Canadian $.

Kevin
Nov 29, 2015, 12:36 PM
Just Fly it

How it Flies, and How it Looks

There will be so much to say and read about an exciting new plane. But in the end it will all be about how it flies. Best wishes, I'm sure we are all anticipating an enjoyable experience.
Nov 30, 2015, 03:15 AM
Looking forward to hearing the flight report Reto !

-Kai
Dec 01, 2015, 08:29 AM
F3B and F3K
I finished my Tweagle TD last night. I did all important glue joints with laminating resin, reinforced at critical places with carbon shortcut (l~200 microns).
I also made a jig to measure in the zero lift angle of the vertical: I marked in the center of the table the fuselage centerline and the ouside contourline of the fuselage. Offset of this, I marked a line at 0.6 degree to the centerline. I printed out the tailsection's airfoil and made a cutout on cardboard and fixed a ruler parallel to the chord line. Then the assembly was aligned to the markings on the table.

Radio gear installed rather nicely in the fuselage and it also affords for quick battery swaps and ballast changes.

The plane finished at 220gr with a CG at 74mm, I hope I can give it a toss over lunchbreak.

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Dec 01, 2015 at 08:37 AM.
Dec 01, 2015, 11:39 AM
Master of the Wind
Where did you hide the antennas?
Dec 01, 2015, 12:57 PM
Nice build Reto. I do miss the gap seals.
Dec 01, 2015, 01:12 PM
F3B and F3K
Hi guys

I escaped work shortly and did the first throws and flights. It was calm and overcast. Without a reference, it is impossible to quantify anything, but I give my subjective impressions anyways:

It launches really great. I am a thrower that normally does not fare well with an under-tailed model (e.g. Salpeter with original, small vertical and high inertia wing) and benefit from a well damped model. This means that I am not the "cleanest" thrower, as others (e.g. Martin Herrig), can throw models like a SalPeter perfectly.
The Tweagle TD appeared to be very well damped, it released each time straight and the launch heights were impressive. Thus the vertical tail appears large enough, even for me. I assume this has become possible due to the drastically reduced yaw inertia compared to older generation DLGs.

In flight, it had a much wider speed range than I would have expected from such a light model. In a vertical dive from ~60m, it still picked up speed and the straight line speed was high for a DLG. I did some big square loops, indicating good energy retention. So it appears quite slippery, at least for the zero lift regime I tested (zoom and vertical dive).

I hope I can get Jim (current US F3J team member) and Austin (Gorilla launcher) this weekend to get comparative flights in. Those two guys always fly the same planes and do so very consistently. Thus they served me as a good reference base in the past.

In terms of launch height, I will compare it against my XXlite, which I bought for the sole purpose of having a launch benchmark (and for the joy of launching).

Best,
Reto

@Greg: The antennas cross each other at around 80deg in the nose, below the battery. One goes up the fuselage wall, one crosses in span direction slightly downwards. See ballast insertion picture. Not 100% ideal, as the regulator is located there. I am keeping an eye for glitches. The pod area itself is made of black fiber glass, so 2.4Ghz friendly.

PS: it appears that I hit the zero lift angle of the vertical correctly with my jig, as I did not need to trim it. Maybe a good idea to provide a cnc cut template with the kit, Alex (like you did on the Twister III) ?
Last edited by RetoF3X; Dec 01, 2015 at 03:46 PM.
Dec 01, 2015, 02:58 PM
Retirement is good
Reto, was that short test at 74mm CG?

Dick
Dec 01, 2015, 04:43 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Very good build and review so far.. RETO... Looking forward to your comparison comments. Tweagle is a good design that is improving in the td version.
Dec 01, 2015, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X
PS: it appears that I hit the zero lift angle of the vertical correctly with my jig, as I did not need to trim it. Maybe a good idea to provide a cnc cut template with the kit, Alex (like you did on the Twister III) ?

Maybe it's possible to rework the mold to incorporate a guide sleeve for the boom directly into the vertical? The Flitz and NXT are good examples of this.
Dec 01, 2015, 06:19 PM
Mike M.
Reto, I like your little aluminum tube for torsion spring retention, glued to the elevator horn before installation. No more guessing at poking holes in the foam and trying to reinforce. Gives it a solid location using the strength of the horn, and easy to remove the spring if necessary. Great idea!
Dec 01, 2015, 10:15 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly
Reto, I like your little aluminum tube for torsion spring retention, glued to the elevator horn before installation. No more guessing at poking holes in the foam and trying to reinforce. Gives it a solid location using the strength of the horn, and easy to remove the spring if necessary. Great idea!
I bag Al tubes in both the fixed and moveable portions of the stab when it is made, then just glue the horn to the tube a stab part.

There are many ways already done.
Dec 01, 2015, 10:19 PM
hot air rises...
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly
Plus it puts all the bending stress into the horn and not the elevator.

Nice looking plane, Alex!
Dec 02, 2015, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewV
Maybe it's possible to rework the mold to incorporate a guide sleeve for the boom directly into the vertical? The Flitz and NXT are good examples of this.
Drew,

There are a lot of things possible but those nice futures takes long time of experimenting, often multiple new molds and the amount of pieces that don't make the cut because of small errors will go up dramatically. Since i live in the Netherlands and not in China or some east block country i have to produce very economical to keep prices down. Its a bit more old-fashioned but it always worked in the past and will in the future.

Its also not that difficult to line up the vertical. When the vertical sits between the both fuselage sides the nose needs to be 0.8mm toward the right (right hand launcher).