Mar 22, 2016, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
IntheTubeDeep, those SU-34 retracts you asked about in another thread can be found at http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...product_id=705
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2016, 07:37 PM
Thread OP

Wing Work

Finally got around to the wing. I am going to have to get the wife's permission to move the chase out of the room. Top of the wing is covered with 1/16th " balsa. The bottom when done will in 1/32" basswood. Tried out a couple of locations for placement of the flap and aileron servos (50 oz. of torque and 100 oz. of torque respectively). I placed a stiffener on the trailing edge of the wing to keep it straight as I covered it. The aileron/ flap was made from a Sig trailing edge pieces and trimmed based the wing aileron ribs from the kit's pieces to make it. Before I attach it to the wing it will be carbon fibered and glassed to make it rigid. A face was put on the wing rig next to the A/C to help it stay flush. Once the top of the wing was skinned I removed the stiffener and sanded the face to where it was flush and could not be seen as shown in the last picture. once everything is in place the wing will be covered in a thin layer of carbon fiber and glassed also to give it strength. Right now the wing are removable. I think if I do doors for the main gear the wing would most have to be fix because from looking at pic's the front/ forward part of the door is attached to the wing. Any suggestion would kindly be appreciated.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Mar 27, 2016 at 07:47 PM.
Mar 28, 2016, 01:35 PM
Thread OP

Second Wing

The top of the other wing was covered. Slowly, but it's coming together. Need to finish up the ducting, run some wires and fiber glass the body.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Mar 28, 2016 at 01:42 PM.
Mar 28, 2016, 01:36 PM
How low can you go?
Looking good. Love the look of the small canards.
Mar 29, 2016, 10:18 AM
ITTD you're Clear for Takeoff!
Thanks James- but those are the ones that require a servo! I was looking for the servoless electrics, I just installed the set I had, will search an alternate set later. Awesome work on your Su33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rhodes
IntheTubeDeep, those SU-34 retracts you asked about in another thread can be found at http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...product_id=705
Mar 29, 2016, 01:21 PM
Thread OP

Another Wing Pic...

The flap/ aileron cut from Sig trailing edge strip. A scale aileron measure comes out to 18mm. I measured that part of the strip to make it a little longer at 20mm to give it a little more control surface.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Mar 29, 2016 at 01:34 PM.
Mar 29, 2016, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliments guys. Inthe-TubeDeep if you know of place to get servoless retracts let me know to. I want to do this model again modifying the front end to make it a SU-34.
Mar 29, 2016, 06:04 PM
Best Electric retracts that I have used are the PZ 15096 92mm from many places. Strong inexpensive and reliable. I use them on my large EuroFighters and will also use them on the big A6 Intruders. They have a 5mm pin which I drill out to 1/4" then use SS rod and heavy duty oleos. Never a problem and my models are 20 lbs plus each.
Apr 01, 2016, 01:28 AM
Thread OP
I lined the wing servo bays with Rhino hide. Fashioned a servo tray based on the one from HiTec's. Then I CA'ed the servo trays in place. I laid the wiring for the aileron and flap servos and the leading edge light. Once that was done I covered the bottom of the wing and cut out a hatch for each servo. Acesimmer those prices are pretty good but will they support a 16 lb. model?
Last edited by James Rhodes; Apr 02, 2016 at 01:44 PM.
Apr 01, 2016, 09:11 AM
James.... I have around 40 flights on my prototype Eurofighter and 20 flights on my Number two. Each weighs in at 20 lbs plus. Never had a problem with supporting the weight. I have also flown both off the dry lake beds which have a crusty uneven surface. The only time I have fractured one is when I veered on to the edge of the runway when landing that gave quite a jolt. The case cracked a bit so saved the wing from getting damaged. I like them so much that they are going in my bigger A6 Intruders.
Apr 01, 2016, 09:33 AM
world's slowest builder
Good point Ace about the plastic retract frame cracking and potentially saving the aircraft gear mounts. I saw PZ has the all aluminum version PZ 15096B, for models over 10kg, or those who alread have breakaway flex plates.

Which vendor do you ususlly buy from? Ive never bought from Himodel so im wondering if they are reputable. I need some gear for my starfire2.
Apr 01, 2016, 09:39 AM
Jon... HK sells them and PW-RC PW is really reliable and supports his products even though out of China. The Aluminum would be really tough.
Apr 01, 2016, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
HK, are you referring to Hobby King? PW-RC has some ridiculous low prices! What is the EX tax?
Last edited by James Rhodes; Apr 02, 2016 at 11:02 AM.
Jun 03, 2016, 11:07 PM
Thread OP

More Pic's

Out of school now and did a little bit more work. Made hatches in the front and rear to be able to access the servos and control links. I had to cut the tabs off the Taft Hobby 90mm fans because they caused the fans to ride too high. Once the tabs were removed the fans fit quite nicely.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Jun 03, 2016 at 11:29 PM.
Jun 04, 2016, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rhodes
Out of school now and did a little bit more work. Made hatches in the front and rear to be able to access the servos and control links. I had to cut the tabs off the Taft Hobby 90mm fans because they caused the fans to ride too high. Once the tabs were removed the fans fit quite nicely.
Nice !!

Quick Reply