Dec 02, 2015, 03:42 PM
Any idea of the weight with just the frames?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2015, 10:43 PM
Tijuana Mexico

Nice work !

Dec 03, 2015, 01:17 AM
Thread OP
I did not weight the frame but it is relative light. You can balance and hold it with three fingers; two lbs maybe at the most. I have started to cover the plane and notice the change in how heavy the model is. When I present those pic's I'll provide a weight at that time. I have purchased two fans, ESC's and two 5200ms batteries. The fans are rated to put out 8.5 lbs of thrust each.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Dec 03, 2015 at 01:43 AM.
Dec 03, 2015, 01:35 AM
Thread OP

Tail Covering Update

This is how I did the covering of the fins, vertical stabs and rudders. The fins were covered with 30 minute epoxy and press between 1/16th balsa on a flat surface. The rudders were done the same and sandwiched between two pieces of 1/8th inch balsa. By doing this it straighten out and stiffen these pieces. Profiles where cut out of 1/16" balsa of the vertical stabs. With the outside of each fin covered a servo was place to check the fit. They will be mounted on a hatch cover when the inside of the vertical stabs are covered. Note: if you look at the tail, there is a slight slant up toward the front like the real plane. Easy mode...... The inside will be covered after the Navigation lights are received and installed.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Dec 04, 2015 at 06:59 PM.
Dec 04, 2015, 07:11 PM
Thread OP

Decals made for The SU-33

These are the decals I had made by Aeroloft Design for my model from the model in the picture.
Dec 04, 2015, 08:09 PM
Thread OP

Vertical Stab Construction

Here are a few pic's of the construction of the stab. the pieces needed were layed out. A carbon fiber tube runs thru it for support and the area where the control rod will go thru. The trailing edge was covered with a strip of carbon fiber tape. The leading edge is a carbon fiber rod.
Dec 04, 2015, 08:32 PM
Thread OP

The Conard

I initially put a carbon fiber rod in it. That was changed to a titanium rod. It is a helicopter piece I bought that fits perfectly.
Dec 04, 2015, 08:56 PM
Thread OP

Update

More pic's of the construction. The wings were constructed attached to the plane with clamps. I started covering on the bottom.
Dec 04, 2015, 09:10 PM
Thread OP

Additional Construction.

More pic's.... Lip construction....
Dec 09, 2015, 01:02 AM
Thread OP

Adding Ducting to the Rear

I used Cow Hide from Sig. It's just as strong as ply but more flexible. The fiber glass ducting in the front came with the kit.
Dec 09, 2015, 01:19 AM
Thread OP

Rotating Retracts

The plane is designed for fix gear, can be modified for retracts. I put rotating ones on mine. After a few modes to the body they fit and work fine.
Dec 09, 2015, 02:20 PM
Thread OP

Construction up date

Build up behind canopy in front of speed brake.
Dec 09, 2015, 10:33 PM
Thread OP

Retract Area

Once the retracts are set and support built up cut out the green area so that the landing gear can be removed if needed for any reason.
Dec 09, 2015, 10:44 PM
Thread OP

Update on nose and wheel area

Update on nose foam that was sanded to shape and wheel area recess for gear.
Dec 12, 2015, 09:56 PM
Thread OP

Small Update

Bottom view of the SU-33.....

Quick Reply