Mini40 Foiling Cats - Page 3 - RC Groups
Apr 20, 2016, 05:10 PM
Experimental Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
What do you think is going on, Jim?

PS-if you have time, would you take a picture from more or less the same angle of your boat as I did mine in post 27?
I think that Dick has it right. While testing I reduced the bend in the foils. This effectively lowered the foils so that more was immersed. The boat heeled less and there was more lift and possibly more speed. Lots of work required.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2016, 09:13 AM

Tri version

Narrow Tri (1 min 49 sec)
Apr 27, 2016, 02:18 PM
I had a Midnight brainstorm (brain fart...as you wish) but have you guys come up with a decision on a type of foil that needs little-to-no operator intervention yet? I thought about fabricating a slide on clip for each hull with a fixed foil attached. Given wind and water conditions, one could slide on(or snap on) to forward part of hulls. Questions would include type or style. Currently thought to use on my Force 2-60 cat to foil with at the pond. I would guess slide on rudder T-foil would be a requirement too. Anything or style out there that doesn't need a baby-sitter?
Apr 27, 2016, 02:30 PM
I think what Jim is working on has that potential as do the D2 foils and the D4Z foils. If they work and once the settings are correct, they won't need further adjusting except maybe in racing depending on conditions. But for "normal" foiling no adjustments should be required:

Last edited by DLord; Apr 27, 2016 at 02:44 PM.
May 14, 2016, 07:36 AM

Mini 40 Cat

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the performance of this boat. Today I sailed without a T-foil on the rudder, just to see how it performed. as expected, lots of "bobbling", but still impressive stability in strong winds.

Narrow Cat 5 (1 min 16 sec)
May 14, 2016, 11:43 AM
That's a really good looking boat rcmm in the narrow configuration out almost looks like a scale formula 18! Makes me want one to play around with now :-)
May 15, 2016, 06:12 AM
PD. Thanks. You should make one. My boat is in need of heaps of tuning, but I think that this approach (that is starting to closely resemble the Quant 23 and Doug's rc counterpart) has real potential.

For this type of boat I'm beginning to wonder if rather than changing the sails in response to changing wind conditions, the foil configuration could be changed (longer foils for stronger wind conditions etc).
Jul 23, 2017, 07:13 AM
Experimental Enthusiast
I've been following this guy for a while. He has almost got his wing sail cat foiling.

Dragonfly1- 9 july (1 min 47 sec)
Jul 24, 2017, 04:45 PM
Yes he has! nice effort.

Flying Dragonfly (3 min 12 sec)

1.4 meters!
Sep 06, 2017, 04:23 PM
Experimental Enthusiast
Dragonfly now has a foiling, wing sail cat working:

Flying time for dragonfly1 (1 min 55 sec)
Sep 10, 2017, 06:04 AM
Experimental Enthusiast
Some beautiful foiling trials by Andreas:

20170909 AC40 Prop with Foils03 (5 min 46 sec)
Sep 10, 2017, 05:27 PM
Looks good! But the sails side force is going to be a different story, but that is a good start.
Sep 10, 2017, 10:28 PM
Experimental Enthusiast
Hello Jim,

No video yet, but Andreas now appears to have his cat foiling with a wing sail:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/attac...1&d=1505065895

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...-Mini40/page29

Cheers,

Jim.