Mini40 Foiling Cats - Page 2 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Apr 10, 2016, 10:10 AM
Registered User
Now narrow, a bit like Doug's mono hull:

Narrow cat (1 min 9 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2016, 10:47 AM
Registered User
DLord's Avatar

M40


Cool! Be nice to see some foil pictures(or are they the same as the previous page?).... Why narrow?
Apr 10, 2016, 11:08 AM
Registered User
It started to foil when I lowered the foils and increased AOI, but by then no memory on camera. Reduced the width to be able to take the boat on a road trip. needed to be able to fit it disassembled in a kayak.
Apr 10, 2016, 11:46 AM
Registered User
DLord's Avatar
Same foils as previous page?
Apr 11, 2016, 06:16 AM
Registered User
No, but these are also quite basic.

I'm really impressed by the stability of this arrangement in strong winds. I sailed in the conditions shown in the video for 2 hours, and only capsized once. I know that this stability comes with a price in terms of speed, but if it means that I don't have to spend too much time recovering the boat it is a price worth paying.
Apr 11, 2016, 08:23 AM
W Kuhns
BillKuhn's Avatar
That's some sick stuff. WOW!! IM IMPRESSED TO say the very least. Wondering if I can make one now. They look extremely fast. Do they sell kits for this to get started. ?? I'm an engineering buff. And would really enjoy trying to make something like this.
Apr 11, 2016, 09:06 AM
Registered User
DLord's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmm
No, but these are also quite basic.

I'm really impressed by the stability of this arrangement in strong winds. I sailed in the conditions shown in the video for 2 hours, and only capsized once. I know that this stability comes with a price in terms of speed, but if it means that I don't have to spend too much time recovering the boat it is a price worth paying.
---------------------
Are you getting all the lateral resistance you need from the vertical portion of the foils? One thing Hugh did on the Quant 23 was to make sure that most of the vertical portion of the foils was out of the water when foiling and he uses the keel for lateral resistance. His foils are specifically designed not to provide lateral resistance to reduce drag.
I think you're close to having an excellent foiler......
Apr 11, 2016, 05:32 PM
Registered User
DLord's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKuhn
That's some sick stuff. WOW!! IM IMPRESSED TO say the very least. Wondering if I can make one now. They look extremely fast. Do they sell kits for this to get started. ?? I'm an engineering buff. And would really enjoy trying to make something like this.
==================
Bill, you'd probably be better off to start with a non-foiling cat or tri.
Check out this thread and talk to the guy that started it-Dick Lemke.
Good Luck!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ling+trimarans
Apr 12, 2016, 05:52 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKuhn
That's some sick stuff. WOW!! IM IMPRESSED TO say the very least. Wondering if I can make one now. They look extremely fast. Do they sell kits for this to get started. ?? I'm an engineering buff. And would really enjoy trying to make something like this.
I suggest buying one of Ian Holt's 1m tris.
Apr 12, 2016, 05:54 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
---------------------
Are you getting all the lateral resistance you need from the vertical portion of the foils? One thing Hugh did on the Quant 23 was to make sure that most of the vertical portion of the foils was out of the water when foiling and he uses the keel for lateral resistance. His foils are specifically designed not to provide lateral resistance to reduce drag.
I think you're close to having an excellent foiler......
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Apr 12, 2016, 08:57 AM
Registered User
DLord's Avatar

Foiler Tri's


From the Fire Arrow thread on boatdesign.net, Ian Holts foiler tri's including one with outboard foils. Ian said the outboard foils were "currently slow" compared to his other foilers. Said he would have to reduce drag. Almost word for word what Greg Ketterman told me about testing outward pointing foils on the Hobie Trifoiler. Compared to the Quant 23 type outward pointing foils Ians outward pointing foils(and the trifoilers) also develop all the lateral resistance for the boat with the Q 23 using a keel for that purpose.

3 trimarans foiling (10 min 28 sec)
Last edited by DLord; Apr 12, 2016 at 09:05 AM.
Apr 12, 2016, 09:17 AM
Registered User
DLord's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmm
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
===================
This picture of my boat is only to illustrate the angle Hugh uses on the Q23 for the outward pointing foils-the D2 foils are set at that angle(with cant and rake adjustment possible).


Apr 20, 2016, 08:17 AM
Experimental Enthusiast
With centre board and shallow foils.

Narrow Cat 2 (2 min 14 sec)
Apr 20, 2016, 11:01 AM
Registered User
DLord's Avatar
What do you think is going on, Jim?

PS-if you have time, would you take a picture from more or less the same angle of your boat as I did mine in post 27?
Last edited by DLord; Apr 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM.
Apr 20, 2016, 02:30 PM
Registered User
Dick L.'s Avatar
In the view of boat changing course near the weed bed, if you look at leeward board you can see water being dragged UPWARD. This certainly is added drag, and I wonder if there is air cavitation going on below the surface while top is above the water, but goes away when tip of board submerged.

Just my thoughts.
Dick