Mini40 Foiling Cats - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 26, 2015, 07:11 PM
Discussion

Mini40 Foiling Cats

Mini40 Length cat with outward facing foils.

Mini40 Cat with Outward Facing Foils #1 (1 min 24 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2015, 07:26 PM

m40

Way to go! What are you using for altitude control? Looks like a V and/or uptip type foil?
Nov 26, 2015, 07:29 PM
No altitude control yet.
Nov 26, 2015, 08:05 PM
I think the foil is acting a bit like an outward pointing shallow V foil-there are moments of stable foiling.
Nov 27, 2015, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
I think the foil is acting a bit like an outward pointing shallow V foil-there are moments of stable foiling.
Possibly, but it is quite shallow (see images).
Nov 27, 2015, 09:33 PM
Check out the Q23 foil- this shot is the windward foil which is partially retracted. You can see how much further it comes down:
PS: your rudder T-foil looks like it should be bigger-equal area to the horizontal portion of one main foil.

Last edited by DLord; Nov 28, 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:58 PM
Less wind:

Mini40 Cat with Outward Facing Foils #2 (1 min 54 sec)
Nov 29, 2015, 04:47 AM
Nice! keep up the good work.
Dec 01, 2015, 08:37 AM
Jim and Jim-here is a skiff monofoiler being sailed by two kids using outward pointing foils:

Dec 11, 2015, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmm
Less wind:

NICE ; now your getting some Good data !!
More please !!!

Bille
Jan 18, 2016, 06:42 AM
Sorry Billy, haven't had a chance to work on this boat for a while. Now set up with main sail only. Had to replace rudder, but mucked up AOA. Footage below shows the result - Hobby Horsing.

Not Foiling (1 min 1 sec)
Jan 18, 2016, 03:25 PM
Looks to me like to angle of incidence on the main foils could be too great because it appears like those foils are lifting then stalling(lift-stall-lift-stall-lift-stall). Which would mean the rudder foil is ok. Would take a fairly small adjustment down.
Last edited by DLord; Jan 18, 2016 at 03:33 PM.
Jan 18, 2016, 04:03 PM
Possibly Doug, but I changed the rudder to a smaller T-foil area (and non-neutral AoA) and the performance of the boat changed dramatically. Still a lot to learn with this configuration.

On the upside, I'm happy with the main sail only setup.
Jan 18, 2016, 06:00 PM
You're so close I'll bet one or two small adjustments and she'll fly smoothly.....

PS- when I look at the video carefully it's the front end that's moving up and down-the trailing rudder seems to be fine. I can't see any malfunction with the rudder foil that could cause that jumping?*
On the Fire Arrows second sail in wind conditions where it was overpowered it would go along ,the front end would come up and it would stall the main foil and ama foil drop down and do it again. When I checked it afterwards, I was stunned to find that I had made the wands too long causing the foil to generate too much lift along with having set the AOI about a half degree too high. When those things were corrected she foiled perfectly.
*I did find that moving the rudder too fast(coupled with the other two major problems) could cause the boat to pitch way up-nearly jumping out of the water. But it wasn't the rudder hydrofoil that did that it was the rudder itself. I fixed that(mostly) by using dual rate on the radio.

If you look closely you'll see the rudder is hard to stb.Also note the wake of the rudder and port ama/foil-the boat is spinning to the right :

Last edited by DLord; Jan 18, 2016 at 07:32 PM.
Jan 20, 2016, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmm
Sorry Billy, haven't had a chance to work on this boat for a while.
Funny how time can just slip-by so fast ; the up-side is that you
are working on your project , (which is More, than i can say about me).

It would be nice, if you could find some smoother wind and water, to
test in ?

Bille