Nov 26, 2015, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum telemetry Jetcat sensor issues

Guys,
there has been a threat regarding this issue in another forum already 1 year ago without any solution, so I try it again.

The guy who started that threat had the fwg question which is exactly identical to my issues.

"... Has anybody here had success with getting the Spektrum Jetcat telemetry interface to actually work on their HP5(PHT-3)?
I've used it with success in the past with the iphone/STI dongle , but that was with a Jetcat P-120(aircraft turbine)
I'm just getting "0" in all gauges for the turbine data only- tried 2 new interfaces plugged directly into the ecu.
I suspect Spektrum/Jetcat interface is not compatable for some reason with the heli ecu.
All the usual TM1000 data is there -just no jetcat data-tried on Ipad as well..."

My radio is DX18G2 which is working perfectly with other sensors.

I did sent emails to Horizon and Spektrum but never received any feedback. So the sensor is still useless though Spektrum claims "for any Jetcat ECU" in their manual. In fact the sensor doesn't work with any helicopter ecu V5, V6 or V10.
In the other thread it has been mentioned that Spektrum is aware of this and working on it but it doesn't look like.

I bought 4 of these sensors so I really would like to use them.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2015, 09:02 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Have you update your AirWare out of curiosity?
Nov 26, 2015, 09:05 AM
Thread OP
yep, just updated again to the latest version 1.05 a few days ago - still no data from the jetcat sensor.
Nov 26, 2015, 09:17 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
When you enable it in the Telemetry Menu are you manually inputting it by hand or using the AUTO CONFIG function ?

If you are inputting manually, did you read the READ ME note on the latest update about using AUTO CONFIG if you have Telemetry issues?

Still not working? I don't have said sensor so I can't confirm it for you but simply ask some questions in order to ensure you are doing everything as recommended. Find it strange such an issue would go on for so long.
Nov 26, 2015, 09:35 AM
Thread OP
Tried both ways - no luck.

btw - the sensor is working perfectly with my Jetcat aircraft ecus on P120 and P160 turbines. Only the helicopter ecus don't work.
Nov 26, 2015, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight
...though Spektrum claims "for any Jetcat ECU" in their manual. In fact the sensor doesn't work with any helicopter ecu V5, V6 or V10.
It was true, but JetCat changed the interface protocol, and our firmware hasn't finished.

Quote:
In the other thread it has been mentioned that Spektrum is aware of this and working on it but it doesn't look like.
We are aware, and it was a topic of discussion just last week.

Andy
Nov 27, 2015, 02:08 AM
Thread OP
Andy,

sorry but the protocol hasn't been changed on the helicopter ecu since version 5 came out years ago and long before the Spektrum sensor even existed. The same statement I got already 1 year ago.
I just did a quick check by collecting the status commands from one of my heli ecu and one of my aircraft ecu, they are simply the same. Believe me I know what I'm talking about - I have the Jetcat data protocol laying right in front of me.

So what is wrong with the sensor ?

ps. to proof take the RAC command, it's the same on all ecu - you or your software guys should know what this means.
Last edited by Moonlight; Nov 27, 2015 at 02:20 AM.
Nov 27, 2015, 08:34 AM
I don.t know about the heli ECU - only the aircraft one. I know that a unit which was working could be sent in, and when it came back updated it would no longer work. Tells me something changed during the update, no? What changed they would not say. Sorry, I don't work on the sensors, so I can't be of more help.

Andy
Nov 27, 2015, 08:39 AM
Thread OP
Andy,

I absolutely agree to what you are saying - but I currently tested older and newest ecu as well.
That's why I gave you the hint with the RAC command. This command is working for all ecu and it has to, cause otherwise the original Jetcat telemetry wouldn't work any longer with their own products - agree ??
Nov 27, 2015, 08:44 AM
No. There's more than one command which would be used. The formatting could be slightly different, there could be a different checksum algorithm, there could be other things going on, there could be a default configuration difference, etc. I do not know. I did not work on that sensor - see it's by Eagle Tree on the packaging?

Try with a v2. I think you need to go that far back. In the bug tracker it says what version it was that broke compatibility. I don't have that handy today (I have teh day off).

Andy
Nov 27, 2015, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
sorry but we are not talking about Version 2. This version is about 15 years old and has nothing to do with V5 and up. You are not telling me right now that your sensor is based on the V2 protocol - right ?
Even if this would be true it will not explain why there should be a difference between a working V6 aircraft and V6 heli ecu. The commands for requesting status data are still the same on all ecu types.

Again I know what I'm talking about due to the fact that I wrote the software for a micro display unit for all Jetcat engines.
Nov 27, 2015, 09:16 AM
can it work with V10 ECU?..Argh I just bought the sensor to be used with my Spektrum DX9...hope it can work with my jetcat P-20SX V10 ECU.

I saw this thread...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jetc...y-v10-ecu.html

Can anyone confirm or verify? tks!
Nov 27, 2015, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
@ viperviper,

no problem. Tested on 2 of my V10 ecu used on P20s. You only will need the RJ12 (phone jack) adapter board.
Nov 27, 2015, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight
@ viperviper,

no problem. Tested on 2 of my V10 ecu used on P20s. You only will need the RJ12 (phone jack) adapter board.
Thanks!! May I ask if I can use 3s lipo batt for the v10 each since the printed voltage on the case states till 14v?
Nov 27, 2015, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
3s is ok as well, but I'm still using 2s which creates less heat stress on the internal voltage regulators.

Quick Reply