Nov 28, 2015, 12:56 AM
I've driven my 1:10 scale crawler on many occasions in my home. The only problem is everyone but myself has long hair. I'll have to pull the wheels and hubs off to get it all out of there.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2015, 01:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight
I've driven my 1:10 scale crawler on many occasions in my home. The only problem is everyone but myself has long hair. I'll have to pull the wheels and hubs off to get it all out of there.
Well with a crawler I could see that
Nov 28, 2015, 02:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT
Spot on about crawlers! It took me a while to get into crawlers, mainly for the prices I thought 300-400$ for something that goes 12 mph? But once more affordable options became available I was hooked. I live in south Florida in a downtown area so needless to say, not too many rock formations around here. But literally anything can become a crawl spot, you can build your own or use your imagination with man made obstacles (parking stones, curbs, sidewalks etc).

The accessories! It's like barbies for boys, winches, lights, scale accessories, you can put figures inside them, realistic interiors, you can hook up trailers on them, you can even put a snow plow on them and clear your porch from the comfort of your house.

Since I don't live in a place with many nature trails I use my crawler to tow my boat a lot. Which believe it or not has been a huge convenience, especially in low tide the water can be so low that I can't safely drop the boat down from the dock and the real boat ramp has all the algae exposed which is extremely slippery. The crawler solves that for me.

For me in my opinion this is a no brainer, the fun you can have with a crawler vs a nitro isn't even on the same plateau.

I was looking at the 4x4 and 6x6 and there pretty neat but I saw some reviews and they said you should get a new servo and a servo for the transmission also it would be nice if it had more suspension flex cause it looks pretty weak or whatever compared to some other crawlers I've seen but this is a budget crawler from over seas so watch gonna do, also any more crawlers that are relatively cheap and around 1/18 to 1/10
Nov 28, 2015, 02:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitwhatsthat
I have no idea how long the engines last. I'm just going by what I've been told. Hence the question mark in my response. I consider anything that needs to be replaced on a regular basis disposable. Fuel, filter oil, after run oil, and clutches and glow plugs are items that need to be replaced on a regular basis. The igniter should last as long as you buy a good rechargeable one.

As far as startup costs go, It all depends on what vehicle you want in both electric and nitro. I ran nitro for a very short time then realized it wasn't worth the headache for me. I can get a battery and a decent charger for around the same price it takes to get all the Gear needed to run a nitro car. The battery will last much longer than a gallon of nitro fuel, and countless glow plugs. Yes nitro will give you longer run times, but at what cost? Don't forget that it takes several tanks to just break in a new nitro engine, then you have to actually get the thing tuned correctly so it doesn't run too lean or rich. Once you get that done you're ready to play. But wait! Next time you go out you most likely need to fine tune the engine again to make up for the changes in the weather. It's just a lot of extra work. Yes my electrics will need new batteries over time , but other than that there are no more added expenses. Bearings and broken parts apply to both vehicles so those expenses shouldn't be considered.

The only real advantage I can see is longer run times, but that's really not enough reason for me to put up with all the other drawbacks.
Good point but those factors also vary on how much you drive it which could stretch the lifespan of the car and disposible parts to it.... and I almost burnt down my house while charging a lipo
Nov 28, 2015, 09:14 AM
Bash the planet!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguy355
Good point but those factors also vary on how much you drive it which could stretch the lifespan of the car and disposible parts to it.... and I almost burnt down my house while charging a lipo
Very true, but remember that nitro fuel will go bad if it sits too long. especially if it's been opened and moisture gets in.

More importantly how did almost burn your house down charging a lipo?
Nov 28, 2015, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Very true, but remember that nitro fuel will go bad if it sits too long. especially if it's been opened and moisture gets in.

Nitro fuel can last 20 years sealed and stored at a good temperature but I've had fuel go bad in 3 weeks when I've not put the lid on.

Lipos can puff up in a week if you store them charged but ultimately don't last as long as nitro fuel.
Nov 28, 2015, 10:22 AM
Quote:
I have no idea how long the engines last. I'm just going by what I've been told. Hence the question mark in my response. I consider anything that needs to be replaced on a regular basis disposable. Fuel, filter oil, after run oil, and clutches and glow plugs are items that need to be replaced on a regular basis. The igniter should last as long as you buy a good rechargeable one.

As far as startup costs go, It all depends on what vehicle you want in both electric and nitro. I ran nitro for a very short time then realized it wasn't worth the headache for me. I can get a battery and a decent charger for around the same price it takes to get all the Gear needed to run a nitro car. The battery will last much longer than a gallon of nitro fuel, and countless glow plugs. Yes nitro will give you longer run times, but at what cost? Don't forget that it takes several tanks to just break in a new nitro engine, then you have to actually get the thing tuned correctly so it doesn't run too lean or rich. Once you get that done you're ready to play. But wait! Next time you go out you most likely need to fine tune the engine again to make up for the changes in the weather. It's just a lot of extra work. Yes my electrics will need new batteries over time , but other than that there are no more added expenses. Bearings and broken parts apply to both vehicles so those expenses shouldn't be considered.

The only real advantage I can see is longer run times, but that's really not enough reason for me to put up with all the other drawbacks.
Startup cost with nitro is lower as the cars are cheaper and nitro fuel is cheap and starter kits are cheap. Glow starters last for ages and glow plugs are cheap.
If you want to replace a nitro with a similar quality electric model unless you are running a very small scale you have to use multiple lipos and a lipo charger which here costs about the same as 5 or 6 5L nitro cans.

An average nitro or electric runs for 20(max on electric) minutes on a 125CC fuel tank or matching lipo. 5L is enough for 40 tanks and a lipo typically does 50-100 minimum cycles depending on how hard it's run despite some manufacturers stating up to 500. Long story short setup cost is significantly less on nitro and running cost is lower on electric so eventually electric can be cheaper depending on how well the motors and engines are run.

Generally though electric is better for noobs as nitro requires a lot of knowledge. There is no inner circle of knowledge but to put it mildly some nitro guys won't share.
Last edited by crazyfrog1; Nov 28, 2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Noobs
Nov 28, 2015, 11:26 AM
Bash the planet!!
The Nitro vs. Electric debate is one that will never end. Kind of like like auto vs. Manual depate in the car world. Each side has its own views and for the most part neither one gives.

Since I haven't been into RC since the dawn of time and I prefer electrics, I guess I'm considered a noob. I'm fine with that. I still have fun with my rc's even if it doesn't involve constant tinkering, loud noise, and toxic fumes. I get enough of that stuff at work.

In my experiance, nitro was just to much headache. I like being able to plug in a battery and get some running time in during my 15 min breaks at work. Also, about run times. My crawler will run for well over an hour on a small 2200mah lipo, that only cost me $8.00.

So I will bow down and retire from this argument. I'll keep being a noob and having fun. There are plenty of electric vs. Nitro departs already out there.
Nov 28, 2015, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Well try driving a 1/10th scale around your house
Despite my mini 1/34 scale losing isn't working

I drive my crawler in my house all the time, its slow and can maneuver easily around the house. You can make obstacles out of anything.

I also have a ecx out burst bike, a hpi 1/18 Mustang, and the losi 1/36 DT in my house all the time. I live in a town house so space isn't a luxury and I still manage to run them in the living room
Nov 28, 2015, 12:31 PM
Quote:
The Nitro vs. Electric debate is one that will never end. Kind of like like auto vs. Manual depate in the car world. Each side has its own views and for the most part neither one gives.

Since I haven't been into RC since the dawn of time and I prefer electrics, I guess I'm considered a noob. I'm fine with that. I still have fun with my rc's even if it doesn't involve constant tinkering, loud noise, and toxic fumes. I get enough of that stuff at work.

In my experiance, nitro was just to much headache. I like being able to plug in a battery and get some running time in during my 15 min breaks at work. Also, about run times. My crawler will run for well over an hour on a small 2200mah lipo, that only cost me $8.00.

So I will bow down and retire from this argument. I'll keep being a noob and having fun. There are plenty of electric vs. Nitro departs already out there.
For crawlers electric suits that type of car and I think someone would have to be stupid to buy a nitro crawler in 2015.

The 20 minute number I gave was just a typical time for a RC buggy and for my monster truck a 2200mah 2s lipo only lasts 5 minutes but thats driven hard.
Nov 28, 2015, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

Well I bought this 50 dollar Venom 4000 20c 7.4v 2 cell and was outside while it was charging so it started getting overcharged and bloating but lucky I made it back in time before it caught on fire but that was when I didn't really know anything about charging batterys
Nov 28, 2015, 02:01 PM
Pretty much every hobbygrade car isnt suitable for in youre house unless you live in a mansion with a grand hall lol.
You way be able to get away with some slower brushed models running on nimh but mostly not
Nov 28, 2015, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Well I bought this 50 dollar Venom 4000 20c 7.4v 2 cell and was outside while it was charging so it started getting overcharged and bloating but lucky I made it back in time before it caught on fire but that was when I didn't really know anything about charging batterys
Thats what happened.

Why did it happen?

Did you set your charger to nimh? Charge it at 1c or 2c after not using it for a while? Charge an almost full battery? Was the battery new? Was the battery old? Was the packing messed up when you received the battery?
Nov 28, 2015, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrog1
Thats what happened.

Why did it happen?

Did you set your charger to nimh? Charge it at 1c or 2c after not using it for a while? Charge an almost full battery? Was the battery new? Was the battery old? Was the packing messed up when you received the battery?
I meant nimh instead of lipo but I just over charged it and it's useless now and after that I only had one battery and still do and the battery was new
Nov 28, 2015, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Also what about the 1/18 scale ecx temper like I would like a 1/10 scale crawler but whatever but I found something even bigger for cheap

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c875-maxst...een-24ghz.html

Quick Reply