Nov 26, 2015, 03:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Should I try nitro or crawling

Well the seasons are coming and I've been thinking of getting a nitro buggy or something but I'm not the most experienced with rc cars and crawling real popular it seems but there's not lot of rocks and stuff we're I live any suggestions or should I stick to electric for a while.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2015, 08:42 AM
Bash the planet!!
I would not recommend nitro. Unless you like constant tuning. I prefer electric. I can plug in a battery and go, while the nitro guys are messing with their carbs.

Crawling or scaling can be fun almost anywhere. I don't live in a rocky area either. South Texas is pretty flat. I do however find nature trails and other man-made obstacles to play on. Once you have crawler, you'll find yourself driving down the road and spotting potential crawl spots everywhere.
Nov 26, 2015, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitwhatsthat
I would not recommend nitro. Unless you like constant tuning. I prefer electric. I can plug in a battery and go, while the nitro guys are messing with their carbs.

Crawling or scaling can be fun almost anywhere. I don't live in a rocky area either. South Texas is pretty flat. I do however find nature trails and other man-made obstacles to play on. Once you have crawler, you'll find yourself driving down the road and spotting potential crawl spots everywhere.
Spot on about crawlers! It took me a while to get into crawlers, mainly for the prices I thought 300-400$ for something that goes 12 mph? But once more affordable options became available I was hooked. I live in south Florida in a downtown area so needless to say, not too many rock formations around here. But literally anything can become a crawl spot, you can build your own or use your imagination with man made obstacles (parking stones, curbs, sidewalks etc).

The accessories! It's like barbies for boys, winches, lights, scale accessories, you can put figures inside them, realistic interiors, you can hook up trailers on them, you can even put a snow plow on them and clear your porch from the comfort of your house.

Since I don't live in a place with many nature trails I use my crawler to tow my boat a lot. Which believe it or not has been a huge convenience, especially in low tide the water can be so low that I can't safely drop the boat down from the dock and the real boat ramp has all the algae exposed which is extremely slippery. The crawler solves that for me.

For me in my opinion this is a no brainer, the fun you can have with a crawler vs a nitro isn't even on the same plateau.

Nov 26, 2015, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
Hmm I do like loud noises and speed but nitro fuel is expensive and if you crash a nitro/gas car pretty badly then it would seems hard to fix despite all those small component's and getting up a rocky hill or whatever would seem satisfying and rc boats seem pretty fun anyways any recommendations for crawlers and electric cars maybe small nitro cars also I do like going camping and a lot of times there's bumpy areas or rocky places
Nov 26, 2015, 07:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT
Spot on about crawlers! It took me a while to get into crawlers, mainly for the prices I thought 300-400$ for something that goes 12 mph? But once more affordable options became available I was hooked. I live in south Florida in a downtown area so needless to say, not too many rock formations around here. But literally anything can become a crawl spot, you can build your own or use your imagination with man made obstacles (parking stones, curbs, sidewalks etc).

The accessories! It's like barbies for boys, winches, lights, scale accessories, you can put figures inside them, realistic interiors, you can hook up trailers on them, you can even put a snow plow on them and clear your porch from the comfort of your house.

Since I don't live in a place with many nature trails I use my crawler to tow my boat a lot. Which believe it or not has been a huge convenience, especially in low tide the water can be so low that I can't safely drop the boat down from the dock and the real boat ramp has all the algae exposed which is extremely slippery. The crawler solves that for me.

For me in my opinion this is a no brainer, the fun you can have with a crawler vs a nitro isn't even on the same plateau.

also what jeep is that, seems pretty customisable
Nov 26, 2015, 07:36 PM
I went with big axles and bigger 2.2" tires on one of mine. Now I can hit small drainage ditches and spots with those big broke rocks.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448584502.714216.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 539.9 KB
Description:
Nov 26, 2015, 09:54 PM
I vote nitro. The noise and the smell are my arguments. Don't get me wrong, I like crawlers but if you can afford a nice nitro buggy like the tekno with an os engine that's the ultimate rc imo. To be fair I do a lot of my driving on an 8th scale track
Nov 27, 2015, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguy355
also what jeep is that, seems pretty customisable

It's a HG P402, I got it for 80$ off GearBest
Nov 27, 2015, 01:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vujkovicv
I vote nitro. The noise and the smell are my arguments. Don't get me wrong, I like crawlers but if you can afford a nice nitro buggy like the tekno with an os engine that's the ultimate rc imo. To be fair I do a lot of my driving on an 8th scale track
Like I have been to a Track and have one pretty close and have a little dirt patch thing close to my house that I could put some guidelines or something like that but for my it is the hardest thing to decide simple things like I have found a nice cheapish turnigy buggy that's pretty cheap, anyways I have a while to thing about I guess
Nov 27, 2015, 11:32 AM
Traxxas.... !!!CONFORM!!!
Buy one of each used, and decide.
Nov 27, 2015, 12:11 PM
Bash the planet!!
Don't forget the added expense of disposable items needed for nitro. Fuel, filter oil, glow plugs, glow igniter, after run oil, clutches. These things alone can make the cost of operating a nitro much higher than any electric. Also from what I hear the engines are only good for what 7-10 gallons at best?
Nov 27, 2015, 12:43 PM
One great thing about electric is that you can use it in your house if the weather outside sucks. Or you can use it early Sunday morning without having your neighbors make assassination attempts on you lol
Nov 27, 2015, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitwhatsthat
Don't forget the added expense of disposable items needed for nitro. Fuel, filter oil, glow plugs, glow igniter, after run oil, clutches. These things alone can make the cost of operating a nitro much higher than any electric. Also from what I hear the engines are only good for what 7-10 gallons at best?
Nitro is cheaper than electric at least with the initial set up cost and if your engine is only lasting 7-10 gallons then its probably being run too lean anyway but that does represent much more run time than you get from a nimh or lipo.

You listed a bunch of items as disposable items: fuel, filter oil, glow plugs, glow igniter, after run oil, clutches. None of these items are disposabe they all last a long time but will need replacing eventually just as maintenence.
Nov 27, 2015, 01:45 PM
Bash the planet!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrog1
Nitro is cheaper than electric at least with the initial set up cost and if your engine is only lasting 7-10 gallons then its probably being run too lean anyway but that does represent much more run time than you get from a nimh or lipo.

You listed a bunch of items as disposable items: fuel, filter oil, glow plugs, glow igniter, after run oil, clutches. None of these items are disposabe they all last a long time but will need replacing eventually just as maintenence.
I have no idea how long the engines last. I'm just going by what I've been told. Hence the question mark in my response. I consider anything that needs to be replaced on a regular basis disposable. Fuel, filter oil, after run oil, and clutches and glow plugs are items that need to be replaced on a regular basis. The igniter should last as long as you buy a good rechargeable one.

As far as startup costs go, It all depends on what vehicle you want in both electric and nitro. I ran nitro for a very short time then realized it wasn't worth the headache for me. I can get a battery and a decent charger for around the same price it takes to get all the Gear needed to run a nitro car. The battery will last much longer than a gallon of nitro fuel, and countless glow plugs. Yes nitro will give you longer run times, but at what cost? Don't forget that it takes several tanks to just break in a new nitro engine, then you have to actually get the thing tuned correctly so it doesn't run too lean or rich. Once you get that done you're ready to play. But wait! Next time you go out you most likely need to fine tune the engine again to make up for the changes in the weather. It's just a lot of extra work. Yes my electrics will need new batteries over time , but other than that there are no more added expenses. Bearings and broken parts apply to both vehicles so those expenses shouldn't be considered.

The only real advantage I can see is longer run times, but that's really not enough reason for me to put up with all the other drawbacks.
Nov 27, 2015, 10:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT
One great thing about electric is that you can use it in your house if the weather outside sucks. Or you can use it early Sunday morning without having your neighbors make assassination attempts on you lol
Well try driving a 1/10th scale around your house
Despite my mini 1/34 scale losing isn't working

Quick Reply