This thread is privately moderated by Daryoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 25, 2015, 03:02 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Discussion

ZMR250 to ZMRX Mod

Let's get a thread started on this topic. With the community, we should be able to come up with the best set up for a X-version of the popular ZMR250.

I dubbed my prototype ZMRX. And have made two for myself and helped others locally make their own.

So instead of all the questions and answering being spread out between Hacksmods, email, PM and Facebook... let's keep it all here.

Hopefully, this thread is the inspiration for your own ZMR frame modding.

I just cut a new one for a friend. This time, I was smart enough to grab the action camera and hit the record button.

Here it is in real time. No editing or extra production value added. LOL

Part 1 Lower/Main Plate:
ZMR 250 to ZMRX Frame Conversion - Lower Plate (6 min 9 sec)

Part 2 Mid Plate:
ZMR 250 to ZMRX Frame Conversion - Mid Plate (6 min 3 sec)

Part 3 Top Plate:
ZMR 250 to ZMRX Frame Conversion - Top Plate (3 min 12 sec)

List of tools is in the YouTube description of video #1.

I will add more to this thread as soon as I get a chance.
http://www.hacksmods.com/2015/10/zmr...tom-zmr-build/
Last edited by Daryoon; Nov 25, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2015, 03:02 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Reserved
Nov 25, 2015, 03:03 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Reserved for user Gallery
Nov 25, 2015, 03:08 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Reserved
Nov 27, 2015, 04:03 PM
Looks Sweet. Will you help me learn more?
Dec 02, 2015, 05:25 PM
Midwest Gravity Tester
Nice conversion. Do you have any photos of how you are connecting the arms to the new plates?

I must be blind, I did not see your link to the build.
Last edited by chickenhawk725; Dec 04, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
Jan 05, 2016, 05:33 AM
Hi Daryoon,
found your nice self build frame on your Hacksmods.com page.
I realy like the design but I would be more interested in what components you mounted which way inside the frame.
Very limited space is available therefore it would be interesting to have some additional pictures.
Specially the VTX mount would be interessting as most frame missing a nice mount which takes the stress off the SMA Connection but still doesnt require pigtails and such stuff.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards Christian
May 02, 2016, 04:05 PM
What is that on the esc? It's not a hear shrink or a paracord. Any issues with the esc heating up?
May 04, 2016, 05:32 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
We're finding that on all frames, not just this ZMRX mod... having the antenna come out the rear seems to last longer.

For top mounts like this, printing the antenna holder in TPU will allow it to flex and not break.

I have the RX stuck vertically to the XT60. And VTX to that in one build. A redesign 3D printed item would make it all even easier.

On another build, I have the RX vertically mounted the same way. But the FX799t sideways on the rear carbon deck below. Fits perfectly. I always like to remove the SMA connectors on my VTX and solder on a pigtail. This reduces the amount of adapters I need. And allow me to mount the antenna anywhere I want.

My local friends like to mount his FX799t on the lower rear tray. And then a short CP antenna. Making sure everything is within the perimeter of the arms for crash protection. And prop clearance too. He's switch from his other frames to elusively ZMRX mods because of the lipo inside.

For me, I have decided I should get serious and just put out my own frame design. Lots of the ideas that birth the ZMRX. But since it's done from the ground up, it'll be much simplier to build. For instance, removable arms with one screw for quick changes...but interlocks. FPV pod that can be removable with only a single power wire. Leaving you with an acrobatic frame if you show choose to dabble LOS.

Optimal VTX cooling. Cuz heat degrades signal power from my testing with the power meter.

Idea is easy to maintain, fix as well.

But it's all a personal project for now.

@Shaheed40
The ESC is CF vinyl weaved cut with my vinyl cutter. With a layer of thin mylar tape underneath. Optimized MOSFet cooling. And allows me to easily pull off cover and put back on. Looks unique too. Been meaning vacuum foam some ESC covers to see if I like that better.

No issues with ESC heat up. It was done to allow heat to vent better than heatshrink. Heatshrink would be more protective though. But seems these days, with the proper BLHeli and PIDS settings. I don't get overheating problem on the 20a ESC. So no worries there.
Aug 16, 2016, 01:02 AM
Done! Flies so much better than the original zmr frame.

Dayroon ZMRX
Buzz hobbies 4mm zmr arms
Spracing f3 betaflight 3.0.0
Xnova 2204/2300kv
Xm30a esc multishot blheli 14.6
Matek pdb
Ts5823 vtx
Runcam swift
Spektrum satellite rx
Hq 5x4x3 pc props
Aug 17, 2016, 07:31 AM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Looks good. Congrats on completing the mod.

Cheers,
-Daryoon
Aug 26, 2016, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon
For me, I have decided I should get serious and just put out my own frame design.
Looking forward to seeing that!
May 07, 2017, 11:48 AM

My version of ZMR-X

I found the idea of doing a ZMR-X mod veeery interesting so... I build one

First, here is the component list

And here are some pictures of the build

Motors on the arms

Arms have been temporary placed with temporary screws.

The location of the FC is... below the frame. Unusual no?

3D printed piece to... hold the battery and avoid it to hit the FPV camera while crashing the quad.

Top view of the FC

XT60 holder mount (not the correct screws on the picture).

First solder on the FC.

FPV camera ( la copie de la Foxeer) mount with the GoPro lens.

Inserting the RX ( D4R-II) in the dedicated place on the 3D printed piece (all the necessary wires have been wired before).

A few remaining solder, for the VTX (Tramp HV)

Mounting Tramp HV and the buzzer.

Positionning the upper part of the 3D printed piece.
Note: This won't be the final antenna mount because it was too exposed during crashes. You'll see later what is the current mount.

Upper plate

Now, the 3D piece designed to protect the FC is mounted.

Build name

I reused a 3D piece found on ZMR-X mode page to fix RX antennas. But as the VTX antenna, I changed some things later because the RX antennas were cut by the props during crashes. So I put them along the 2 rear arms.

VTX antenna mount.

Weight, AUW

Some final pictures...

After a few flights and crashes, I broke the FPV antenna and I changed the way to hold it so it will be "crash proof"
I printed a piece with NinjaFlex and now it can bend during crashes

Then, I designed what I need to put the RunCam1 on top of the frame.

And I also add a capacitor (given with the FC) to avoid video interferences.

Now, with all of these things, the AUW is 574g.

Finally, a small video :
ZMR-X - Easter fun (2 min 50 sec)
May 07, 2017, 08:38 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Well done @LuluTchab

Those motors should make your ZMRX a beast.

What a nice flying location. Keep at it. And thanks for sharing.
Jun 06, 2017, 03:08 PM
Thank Daryoon

I did another video a few days ago
ZMR-X - Abandoned Trailer (2 min 45 sec)

Quick Reply