Balsa Warbirds 25 to 60 Size ARFs That look the Part - RC Groups
Nov 24, 2015, 11:53 PM
Discussion

Balsa Warbirds 25 to 60 Size ARFs That look the Part

Welcome, Balsa Warbird Fans.

I decided to shorten up the intro to this post and make it more clear as to the goal of this Discussion. The first page of this thread is dedicated to discontinued and presently available ARF Balsa Warbirds ranging in size from .25 to .60 size that meet a certain set of aesthetic criteria.

1. Some what close in terms of scale outline. This basically means, it doesn't have to be truly scale just close.

2. No goofy paint schemes! However if the airframe has a good outline and can be easily modded to look better it will make it.

3. It must be an ARF.

4. Balsa Warbird of the Month whats this? The First Pilot to complete and Successfully maiden their Balsa ARF in any given Month and submit a pic gets recognized as Balsa ARF of the Month. Kit submissions are accepted, but are recognized differently with a Brown Border there can be one ARF and one Kit Recognized in the same month. Winners get their picture moves to the top of the list on the first page of the Thread. Why do we do this? Bragging Rights!

This first page will work as a quick reference of known planes that have made the cut. If you find a plane you think fits the criteria please post an image and who the maker is and it will get added to this The images of the planes posted have the brand in the name of the file.
Last edited by PWJClub78; Nov 18, 2017 at 12:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2015, 12:44 AM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
There are 3 balsa plane makers that are currently churning out models in this size range that may interest you... Phoenix Model, Seagull Models, and VQ Model. Some of the models are updated from older versions to accommodate electric power systems, but many are all new models.

Kman
Nov 25, 2015, 12:44 AM
Warbird crazy!
Feel the same PW.

I foolishly was asleep at the wheel when the 50 size planes from Hangar 9
came and went .

I've included a pic of my Blackhorse Mossie.
They also did a very nice B-25 now gone as well.

John
Nov 25, 2015, 12:51 AM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Also, you can occasionally find some of those older models still out there. Hobby King lists some such as this Ki-84, which is the Hyperion brand...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...40mm_ARF_.html

Kman
Nov 25, 2015, 01:14 AM
O man thats a pretty plane newrc! The blackhorse do look great.
Nov 25, 2015, 01:23 AM
I have checked out those other brands... There was one Phoniex model that I felt could make the cut. The corsair, their spitfire is boarder line, the P51 I didn't care for as well. The only VQ warbirds I found where way to big if you meant VQ Warbirds. Those look awesome but I think those fall under the 30cc to 50cc size planes. There are the other VQMDL I believe that hobby people sells but the Monokote coverings tend to look way to Cartoony.
Nov 25, 2015, 01:30 AM
Like for instance this is a pretty typical covering look for the .46 VQ models. I think its a bit ugly looking and the proportion are just to far off scale at least for my tastes.
Nov 25, 2015, 01:32 AM
The hangar 9 20CC Corsair is another good one to add to the list. Well detailed, and has a scale outline: http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...cc-arf-han2795
Nov 25, 2015, 01:37 AM
Like for instance this is a pretty typical covering look for the .46 VQ models. I think its a bit ugly looking and the proportion are just to far off scale at least for my tastes. Like compare it to the Eflite .32 P51 B Mustang like no contest of what looks better.
Nov 25, 2015, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106DeltaDart
The hangar 9 20CC Corsair is another good one to add to the list. Well detailed, and has a scale outline: http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...cc-arf-han2795
Yes I agree that is a great looking plane... But to large. Trying to compile a list of .25 to .50 size planes. 60 size is about that absolute max. But that Corsair would be welcome in my hangar any day! If there was room.
Nov 25, 2015, 01:53 AM
I think there is far less to chose from today in 2015 and it's worse looking. Just go back and look at all those models that are long gone I would love to have any number of those planes. Its those blasted 1400mm and larger foamies. And yes I have a couple of those but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as the balsa planes. My FMS\Airfield 1400mm Thunderbolt has never been crashed I have always been super careful moving it around but the foam is getting that worn out tired look. The wings flex a little more than they used to. But my Balsa Mustang looks as good as the day I put it together.
Nov 25, 2015, 11:00 AM
Arrowhead
The H9 Corsair 50, as well as the .60 size P-47. The P-47 is a real pussycat but can still haul!

I agree the H9 "Tiger's Revenge" looked great. Found it a bit of a dog on the recommended electric setup though. Sadly on my 3rd flight she stalled at the top of a loop, and spun into the nearby pond. If it weren't discontinued I might be tempted to get a replacement and up the power.

Also discontinued, the E-Flite T-34. Looks pretty good for a trainer, and very forgiving.

E-Flite's P-51B looks good but has a rep for biting. Mine is still in the box, waiting for me to get the nerve to try it.

I too have come to prefer balsa planes. I'll still buy foam, but only for special cases. And I've found it difficult to part with the foam warbirds I already have.
Nov 25, 2015, 04:42 PM
I had the same issue with the H9 tigers revenge. I was aware of it when I got the plane but all I did was upgrade the esc to an 80 amp and ran a 14x10 prop, huge performance difference. Watt meter reading were 64 amps and 840 watts at full throttle. I love it : )
Dec 01, 2015, 10:58 PM
Updated
Dec 03, 2015, 12:12 AM
Thunder Tiger warbirds anyone flown them?