Nov 24, 2015, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Good location for a winter road-trip

Not looking forward to the next cold months with no flying!!!

A couple of us in Connecticut want to make a "road-trip" to a Southern, warm weather location for a few day's flying.
We don't want to drive a huge distance, but we just want some decent winter flying weather.
Florida is too far....
Any flying in North Carolina in the winter?
How about South Carolina? (That's about our maximum range)
I guess mid day temps in the 50's would be OK if the wind is low.
We were hoping some nice club would allow us to use their field for a couple days flying.
Any recommendations??
Don
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2015, 08:39 PM
Why not use the AMA's website to look up clubs in some of the states you would go to and ask them? This way you can check out their websites and have an idea of what the field is like. It would really stink to make a 12-14 hour trip with all your gear to find out the club/field is not what you hoped it would be.
Nov 26, 2015, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Yup.... I did that.... but it's a pretty slow process.
I was hoping some Southern Fliers could recommend their clubs, for good winter weather, etc.
Nov 26, 2015, 07:57 PM
Gotcha! Another thing to try would be to look up fly-ins either in magazines or online if that's your thing. That way you'd know people would be there.
Nov 27, 2015, 09:02 PM
I am originally from Manchester and now live right outside Charlotte. We fly most of the year. Plenty of flying fields around here. I think within a 40 mile radius FromMe you could fly at maybe 6-7 fields. When are you thinking about road tripping
Nov 27, 2015, 09:13 PM
I kill throttle servos
Ah come on Florida isn't too far! It is the farthest from the cold! 70 degree weather, suns out, great flying weather.

We have one of the best maintained grass runways. 600x100, turbine jets get up no problem.

But seriously, if you change your mind our club name is Airmasters. A bunch of friendly guys, visitors are always welcome. We have a lot of fun!

Chris
Nov 27, 2015, 10:52 PM
Thread OP
Well.... we are from South Windsor & East Hartford, so we were neighbors!
Where did you fly when you were in Manchester?

We haven't decided when to plan our trip....
kinda' depends on what what kind of weather we can find, not too far south.
Charlotte sounds like a pretty good possibility.
What's the weather like in January, Feb, ??
Warm enough to fly?
How are the wind conditions?
Seems like the wind is the main factor... always feels colder when the wind is blowing...

Today was record warm weather here.... 60 to almost 70 deg. A bit windy, but for the last flying day (probably) is was beautiful.
I just can't face a whole winter without flying!
Don
Nov 28, 2015, 08:25 AM
when I lived up there we would fly in any school parking lot. Last year when I came home for Christmas I went to that field in south windsor but nobody was there. Then I tried the one in Farmington and ellington but nobody was flying . Conditions around charlotte can be good or bad ,just depends on weather patterns. I will be in Manchester the week of Christmas. Let me know then ,if you guys wanna fly around charlotte and I can get you all pointed in the correct direction
Nov 28, 2015, 10:22 AM
I'll tell you one thing. You don't want to come to Kansas City.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
I am a member of the South Windsor club.... for the last 30 years, or so. Mostly old guys (like me) who fly little foamies. They fly from around 9:30AM to about 11:00 Am. But.. the field is open all year round.... town plows the parking lot and helps a lot with maintenance, etc. We fly a lot of electrics with skiis in the winter (when there is snow).
I also am a long time member of the Ellington club (NCRCC) for about 50 years. Nice field. I'm surprised nobody was there when you went there.... usually plenty of fliers. Try them again next time.

For our Road-Trip we are looking for daily high temps of around 50 -60 deg.... with not too much wind. Is Charlotte this "flyable" in Jan or Feb.?
Nov 28, 2015, 04:59 PM
Is there different way into the Ellington field other then that long dirty road. Those temps could happen in late January. I will send you a message closer to Christmas. I can tell you more about the charlotte area fields
Nov 29, 2015, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
No... that 1 mile, dirt/gravel/mud road is the only way in to the Ellington field. No flying in winter till late spring!

Thanks.... would appreciate any weather info.
Again, WIND is more of a factor than temp. I can stand pretty cold temps if there is no wind!
Dec 24, 2015, 01:53 PM
AMA 8514
PM Sent...

Quick Reply