Nov 24, 2015, 06:08 PM
"Look sir! DRONES!"
Thread OP
Mini-Review

DYS X160 Micro FPV Racer Review [ Setup, Flight Test, Pros & Cons]

The DYS X160 arrived for review today. You can find it HERE

I'll be unboxing it today and doing a full review on this little racer this week. It looks like it's really going to be a fun one!

In anticipation I've ordered some batteries and extra props as this is all I should need to get going aside from adding my radio receiver combo of choice.

Below is my flight review of the newer Version 2.0. Have they fixed the shortcomings that plagued Version 1?.. ALMOST!

DYS X160 Version 2.0 Micro FPV Race Drone Review - [Flight Test] (15 min 55 sec)

Here is the Video Reveiw Part 1 for initial unboxing, inspection and setting it up with a TX/RX getting it all ready to fly:

DYS X160 Micro FPV Race Drone Review - Part 1 [UnBox, Inspection, Setup] (29 min 33 sec)

Here is Part 2 with the initial flight test:

DYS X160 Micro FPV Race Drone Review - Part 2 - [Flight Test] (13 min 0 sec)

It looks like almost immediately after my initial reveiw of the X160 DYS has now released an upgraded "fixed" version with double stacked arms. Apparently I am not the only one who noticed the un-acceptable flutter phenomenon and now they have replaced the unit with this upgraded version. The downside to this is it now looks to be 20grams heavier with the added arm stack and spacers. But I would sacrifice a bit of lift and flight time for it to fly right and be more durable any day

We can see the comparison here with the original released version 1 at top and "Fixed" Version 2 at bottom has stronger double stacked arms and "replaced" motors to "solve the dithering phenomenon". I hope by dithering they mean the flutter I was experiencing in my flight test.

I have requested the new "Fixed" updated version 2 so I can do a comparison and see if infact the issues are now solved with the second coming.

Here is the description and specifications from Banggood's website: DYS X160

Description:
Brand: DYS
Item name: X160 RC Micro FPV Racer
Propeller: 3x2"
Motor: 1104-4000KV
ESC: 10A ESC with BLHeli firmware (support oneshot)
Antenna: 5.8G mushroom antenna
Flight controller: CC3D (pre-tuned CF firmware)
Flight range of remote control: more than 1000 meters
Combines 5.8G 32CH 200mW Transmitter with 1/3" CMOS Lens, supports 127 or wider 160 degree shooting.
Four frame arms integrated 10A high speed ESC
Weight: 110g (without battery)
Battery: recommend 3S 800-1000mah (not included)
Receiver and remote control not included

Package included:
1 x DYS X160 RC Micro FPV Racer
1 x 1/3" CMOS Lens
1 x CC3D Flight controller
1 x 5.8G 32CH 200mW Transmitter
4 x BLHeli 10A ESC
4 x 1104-4000KV motor
2 x 3020 CW propeller
2 x 3020 CCW propeller
1 x mushroom antenna
Last edited by rc808hawaii; Mar 29, 2016 at 05:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2015, 04:12 PM
"Look sir! DRONES!"
Thread OP

Video Review Part 1

Here's part one of the full review where I go through the unbox, inspection and setup:

DYS X160 Micro FPV Race Drone Review - Part 1 [UnBox, Inspection, Setup] (29 min 33 sec)
Nov 30, 2015, 11:52 PM
Thanks! I just ordered one today with some spare props. What battery do you recommend?
Dec 01, 2015, 12:15 AM
"Look sir! DRONES!"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten safe frogs
Thanks! I just ordered one today with some spare props. What battery do you recommend?
I got 2 3S 900mah lipos (30/60c links in description of video). Haven't test flown at park yet but hoping tomorrow and I'll know if the lipos work OK.
Dec 10, 2015, 05:24 PM
"Look sir! DRONES!"
Thread OP

Flight Test

The flight test did not go quite as expected but here it is:

DYS X160 Micro FPV Race Drone Review - Part 2 - [Flight Test] (13 min 0 sec)
Dec 22, 2015, 06:03 PM
"Look sir! DRONES!"
Thread OP

Version 2 "Fixed" is now replacing original X160

Looks like the original did have a design flaw and it wasn't just my unit!

They have replaced it with a new version which has double stacked arms and possibly different motors to eliminate the "Flutter" I was experiencing in my flight test while also increasing arm durability. Unfortunately this will add around 20grams of weight but I am willing to sacrifice a little flight time and lift for it to fly right and be more durable.

I have requested for banggood to send the updated unit for comparison review to test. Hopefully DYS has fixed the original issues seen in this cool little micro racer!
Last edited by rc808hawaii; Dec 22, 2015 at 07:22 PM.
Dec 22, 2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks for your informative reviews. FPVmodel.com now has a Pro version of this X160. FPVmodel X160 Pro is a new design based on DYS X160 and built by DYS with FPVmodel design changes specific for better flight characteristics and angled camera for racing senarios.

Link: http://www.fpvmodel.com/fpvmodel-x16...arf_g1101.html

Some changes have been made based on the previous X160. Added a battery plate on top of frame, changed the camera plate to with 25 degree and thickened the frame arms.

FPVmodel X160 Pro FPV Racer (1 min 17 sec)
Dec 22, 2015, 11:20 PM
"Look sir! DRONES!"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV.Model
Thanks for your informative reviews. FPVmodel.com now has a Pro version of this X160. FPVmodel X160 Pro is a new design based on DYS X160 and built by DYS with FPVmodel design changes specific for better flight characteristics and angled camera for racing senarios.

Link: http://www.fpvmodel.com/fpvmodel-x16...arf_g1101.html

Some changes have been made based on the previous X160. Added a battery plate on top of frame, changed the camera plate to with 25 degree and thickened the frame arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZ1EUsrjVY
Very interesting modifications. Looks like some good upgrades. We need a lightweight 3D printed camera guard now . I would be interested to know if we can purchase the battery board separately also. Do you know if the high throttle "flutter" is eliminated on pro model? Also what size battery is on top?
Dec 24, 2015, 02:45 AM
Hi @rc808hawaii, thanks for your thoughts. It would be great if adding the 3D printered camera guard. Pics & vids expected.
We cannot find the high throttle "flutter" with this version after PID adjustment. Using the battery of 3S 800-1000mAh.
Currently we don't sell the battery board seperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc808hawaii
Very interesting modifications. Looks like some good upgrades. We need a lightweight 3D printed camera guard now . I would be interested to know if we can purchase the battery board separately also. Do you know if the high throttle "flutter" is eliminated on pro model? Also what size battery is on top?
Jan 14, 2016, 05:33 AM
"Look sir! DRONES!"
Thread OP
The new and upgraded version 2 of the X160 will be here very shortly and I will be sure to give it a full test and see how it compares to the version 1. I will be paying close attention to the flaws found in the original to see if they have been remedied and post here with videos and thoughts on my findings.
Jan 16, 2016, 11:06 AM
unRegistered User
Does anyone know how to reset the FC on the X160? I tried to reload a previous configuration from cleanflight and it now won't talk over USB. (No serial port shows up) Looking at the cleanflight description, there should be a jumper to get it into bootloader mode to upload firmware. (Is this 1.11 CC3D in the cleanflight menu or something else?)

Seems like the same FC as the V1 which I sent back but this is a V2.

Thx!
Jan 17, 2016, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV.Model

I like it. Good mods, especially the camera tilt. Planning on getting one of these in the spring, I think this is the version I'm going to go with.
Jan 19, 2016, 01:08 AM
CRASHER
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCobra
I like it. Good mods, especially the camera tilt. Planning on getting one of these in the spring, I think this is the version I'm going to go with.
Good luck! I truly hope they get it it right! I think the flutter is due to wrong pids. The motor ESC issue might be because of one shot. Run it without it and motors seem to be ok . I burned up two escs . The first time while flying my second ever FPV flight via television screen inside of house. My esc got so hot that when it shorted out the whole printed circuit board did the ol barking dog trick and went WOOF! as it went up into flames! I believe the clear weather coating was hyper flammable. I am thinking about stripping the arms and adding nicer 20A micro ESCs.
The failure has really been hurtful to a product that just shoulda taken off with a great price point and trendsetting size and weight that circumvents new US FAA rules. These lil guys are the perfect FPV racing class ..... Too bad they screwed the pooch with poor proof testing and additionally bad quality control.
The "battery board" was avail seperately thru RCT before they washed their hands of the whole thing. I dont think the improved arms are going to help because i dont think its a mechanical problem as much as it is an electronic problem with mis application of electronic components for the task. They dont like oneshot enabled. I only get one or two flights with one shot. With it off I havent had anymore cooking of the ESCs on my bench. Reload with onwshot and poof there goes one more ESC on the remaining arms. I am pretty sure of this now.....
I really wish that these would have worked out! They would have had a good headstart on the market and killed it,,, but so far its already a dying novelty of the past. Maybe composite the main board with another frame and make a frankenstein micro. Just how can I get it to fit into an alias frame huh?!
Last edited by dougroundup; Jan 19, 2016 at 01:22 AM.
Jan 22, 2016, 02:32 AM
"Look sir! DRONES!"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete
Does anyone know how to reset the FC on the X160? I tried to reload a previous configuration from cleanflight and it now won't talk over USB. (No serial port shows up) Looking at the cleanflight description, there should be a jumper to get it into bootloader mode to upload firmware. (Is this 1.11 CC3D in the cleanflight menu or something else?)

Seems like the same FC as the V1 which I sent back but this is a V2.

Thx!
I noticed it gets a little finicky connecting sometimes. Are you sure it is just not a connection issue? Try rebooting PC and powering up with lipo before connecting USB and vise versa. After the quad saves settings and reboots FC it will not re connect until I remove USB wait a few seconds and plug back in then I see the com port again and can connect. Try a few different variations.
Jan 25, 2016, 08:54 PM
CRASHER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc808hawaii
I noticed it gets a little finicky connecting sometimes. Are you sure it is just not a connection issue? Try rebooting PC and powering up with lipo before connecting USB and vise versa. After the quad saves settings and reboots FC it will not re connect until I remove USB wait a few seconds and plug back in then I see the com port again and can connect. Try a few different variations.
I found a similar type of thing when the configurator would reboot. Instead of plug and unplug I would refresh my hardware in my computer windows device manager utility. I dont know why it does this. I thought it was because of windows ten upgrade but I dont seem to have this happen with other FC's using Cleanflight. It makes it impossible to fully reload a new firmware. Possibly this is a CC3D issue with cleanflight? I suppose you could load a new firm from a bin file using openpilot. I believe that Boris Betaflight has BIN files for CC3D
This is just another example of all the glitches that has frustrated me beyond belief. Sucks to buy an ARF thinking it convenient way to get yourself flying when leisure time is a premium luxury!
Well I guess it has motivated me to keep current with the technology. and dedicate some spare time to do some building.

Quick Reply