Feb 24, 2017, 01:03 PM
Thread OP

Reichard Aladin F5J/ALES/LMR ARF Competition e-Glider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinemax
I've ordered one...
Maybe current users could write here some more impressions ?
Comments received from one of our very satisfied customers:

Hey Alberto! This is Mitch from Atlanta who purchased the Aladin. We had a rough January so not much opportunity to fly. Finally got out this week with calm conditions.

As I mentioned, I always like to help other enthusiasts and share my knowledge as I have been doing this for 25 years. There are many ways to setup RC planes, however, gliders can be a little challenging due to small space to work with and getting the right components to balance.

Here is my setup on the Reichard Aladin, AND IT WORKS AMAZING!!!!

Hitec 85 (MG or BB) servos X 2(rudder and elevator)
Hitec 125mg X 4 (for ailerons and flaps) thin wing profile
Castle Thunderbird 54 ESC with separate castle 10v BEC wired/soldered to ESC (this is a light ESC at 32g and the BEC is only 10g)
Spektrum 7 channel receiver with internal telemetry for battery voltage and altitude
Neutron (Neu) 707 2Y/6.7 Gearboxed motor 6.7:1 (this is the newest design by Steve Neu specifically for gliders that only accept 28mm motors) This motor is ONLY 92GRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aero-Naut RFM 16X10 prop
RFM 32/6 White spinner (This spinner is a PERFECT match and is designed for the 6mm shaft on the motor)
Thunder Power 3S 2200mah 25c PRO-LITE X Lipo battery. Very light battery

This power setup will yield 36amps or approx 425 watts of power. The Neu motor is outstanding and she climbs with authority nice and smooth. I was able to get about 5 motor runs with this setup, more than enough. You can use a 17X11 prop as well yielding 44amps or approx 500 watts, but you will get less climbs obviously and it is really not necessary. I Liked the 16X10. That little motor is a beast! We had no lift/thermals and she still stayed up quite well! VERY LIGHT!!!

With flaps down and ailerons up (crow/butterfly) for landing, you can land her at your foot or just catch her. I think mine is right at 4lbs. The Aladin does not pitch up on throttle climbs, a nice benefit. some of my other gliders I need down elevator to throttle mix to keep a nice smooth 45 degree climb so I do not have to push down elevator while climbing.

If you use this setup, you will be able to put the battery right in the center of the large canopy opening. I made my own servo tray for the rudder and elevator. The elevator tray is in the most back/aft position and level like normal. The rudder tray is behind it/fore, but, angled downward at 45 degrees which allows the kevlar string for both the rudder and elevator to be clear of each other and never touch/rub. It is a really nice setup! The stabilizer is not permanently glued. There is no need for that. If you glue it, you can never get to the bell crank if for some reason you had to replace the elevator kevlar string. I know this is unlikely, but I always like a way to be versatile. I drilled a small hole through the former in the stab right where the carbon dowel is and drilled carefully into the dowel as well. Just put a nice thin wood screw to attach the stab and it is more than secure. Please note the other stab IS glued to the carbon joiner. Now you have a removable stab. The Rudder is also removable. No need to glue the wood fin former, just put 2 tiny wood screws on each side to attach the former to the carbon fin. after you epoxy the hinges, you have a removable rudder.

My Aladin is balanced at 112mm form the leading edge of the wing and she flies perfect. I think I only had one or two clicks of trim. There are many ways to setup models, but I wanted to share this setup as it is top quality components.

You were very nice to me and very responsive (especially on researching the CG). I appreciate that. I hope this message will help you and others on this model or a similar glider with 28mm motor designs. I have no problem if anyone wanted to call me to discuss. My number is below.

Have a nice day!!!!

Mitchell Marcello, CPA

1-678-230-9195
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2017, 06:40 AM
Looks like elevator is rather loose, what may make problem at higher speeds (may easily flatter) - have you used anything to make it more fixed without increasing rotation drag too much?
Have anybody tried to fly "real F5J" especially in any competition?
May 16, 2017, 06:56 AM
After maiden and some more flights I may say that Aladin has tendency to a kind of flutter, caused most likely by loose elevator, appearing at rather low speeds. I've had no real accident so far, but this look unpleasant. I'll make some more experiments, especially with various CoG placement, because otherwise it is very nice plane - when it catches thermal it is easy to keep it inside, precise landing is also not big problem.
Maiden film -
Reichard Aladin F5J maiden flight (2 min 54 sec)
Oct 03, 2017, 06:25 PM
Thread OP

Reichard Aladin F5J/ALES/LMR ARF Competition e-Glider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinemax
After maiden and some more flights I may say that Aladin has tendency to a kind of flutter, caused most likely by loose elevator, appearing at rather low speeds. I've had no real accident so far, but this look unpleasant. I'll make some more experiments, especially with various CoG placement, because otherwise it is very nice plane - when it catches thermal it is easy to keep it inside, precise landing is also not big problem.
Maiden film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eQPyAi1rWI
Another comment received from Mr. Michell Marcello of Cumming, GA, proud owner of the Aladin:

Subject: Re: Reichard aladin

Just wanted to update you. The Aladin is a superb Thermal glider. I have flown it flawlessly about 75 times now. I did switch to the Mega motor as the Neu motor, which was a new design, failed. They gave me a new one. But the mega motor (16/25/2 PG 4.3:1) is much better. pulls about 44 amps, or 525 watts, with a 16X10 prop and I am using a 3S 2800mah 25c Thunder power pro lite. I highly recommend this setup. Its perfect!

Anyway I just wanted to keep feedback to you. I love this glider. Stays up all day.
Dec 14, 2019, 02:38 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
It's been a few years. Anybody still flying his Aladin? How's she holding up?
Dec 16, 2019, 10:52 PM
scb28
I flew mine last ALES season, on and off. IMHO it's an okay flier. Thermals pretty well but I had trouble getting used to the longer wing span. Overall a good flier.

Scb28

Quick Reply