Nov 24, 2015, 02:49 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Yi-Zhan X6 FPV kit and for many more toy models (Under construction)

INTRODUCTION

After the specific model for the Syma X5C (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2447198), here is the YiZhan X6 FPV kit also compatible with serveral other toy quadcopters: WLtoys V686G, XK X250, Cheerson CX-33 and probably many more. For around 50 USD, you have a full kit including a HD ready cam (720p), a 200mW VTX, a DVR and 4.3 FPV monitor!!! Not bad.

EDIT 03/15/16: Now the FPV cam is sold without the FPV monitor: http://www.banggood.com/C4002-JJRC-H16-YiZhan-Tarantula-X6-WLtoys-V666-V686G-V222-5_8G-FPV-720P-Camera-p-1041852.html

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Camera+VTX+DVR+battery combo (with a 1S 300mAh LiPo )
+ 1 x 4"3 FPV monitor (using 1S 300Mah LiPo)
+ 1 x USB charger cable for the camera combo and the FPV monitor
+ 1 x Monitor bracket

Camera

a DIP switch permits to select one of the 8 Boscam frequencies

A pinhole lens installed with its narrow Field Of View (approx 70 degrees)

The main difference with Syma X5 FPV kit is the presence of the 4 position 1.25 microJST connector.

Here is the pinout

I already tested succefully the camera record triggering with the YZ-X6, the V686G, the XK X250 and main probably with the Cheerson CX-33 (will be tested)

Standalone, the weight is

Two camera mounts are also provided

Disassembling

A 300mAh LiPo with a 2C discharge rate

You can expect 15min of usage. Around 20-25min to charge the LiPo with the USB charger

Here, a RTC6705 FM modulator. According to the specifications, the max output power (without a PA and LNA) can be set to +13dBm (=20mW). Far from the announced 200mW (23dBm) advertized (in this configuration a PA+LNA stage is added). A 24pins ribbon cable to plug the lens sensor

The lens mount is in M6 format

The good news, you can plug and play the 808#16 lens D to increase the Field of View

No color distortion, inverted color channel or reverse video

FPV monitor

New model of the 4.3" FPV monitor with a matte screen

No blue screen. Only when the signal is recovering, there is a short black transition time to time.

The monitor have a SMA connector

A battery bay with a 1S cell and the DIP 3P switch to select one of the 8 Boscam frequencies

The LCD display is really basic. Any settings can be ajusted . The monitor got a matte screen much more visible in daylight conditions than the previous FPV kit

No hidden buttons to access to some screen settings.

UNBOXING AND DEMO FLIGHT

YiZhan X6 FPV kit: flight with XK X250 and range test (Courtesy Banggood) (5 min 11 sec)

The 720p module is good, color rendition efficient, no frame rate drop and light sensitivity can handle transitions zones. The good news versus the V686G/H6D/... FPV modules, you don't have any more frame rate drop when recording is turned on. More, the 808#16 lens D can be installed to increase the FOV without any color sacrifice. In this case, you will need to: 1) unglue and uncrew the 808#16 lend D from its sensor, ii) enlarge the current lens hole of the FPV combo cam and iii) insert the lens D through the enlarged hole and refocus the lens.

YiZhan X6-WLtoys V686-XK X250 FPV kit advanced testings (Courtesy Banggood) (6 min 3 sec)

PROS

+ Full standalone 5.8G kit
+ A solid 100-150m of video range is obtained
+ 720p@30fps recording
+ 300mAh (> 15min of usage)
+ Lens oriention ajustable
+ No frame rate drop while recording
+ Cheap
+ Planar antenna (half plan)
+ Channels selection (Boscam band)
+ VTX Battery information displayed
+ Can be used for several toy-quadcopters
+ 808#16 lens D+sensor (120 deg of FOV) can be installed
+ Works with YZ-X6, V686G, XK X250, Cheerson CX-33

CONS

- 21.5g
- Narrow FOV (approx 70 deg)
- M6 lens mount not compatible with 808#16 lens (you have to swap sensor+lens)
- Can't disable OSD informations
- No monitor setting
- No PAL/NTSC settings

This 5.8G FPV kit have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 50 USD at http://www.banggood.com/JJRC-H16-YiZhan-Tarantula-X6-WLtoys-V666-V686G-V222-5_8G-FPV-720P-Camera-With-Monitor-Real-Time-Transmission-p-1001396.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Mar 15, 2016 at 07:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2015, 02:50 AM
Thread OP
reserved1
Nov 24, 2015, 07:14 AM
Vox Furry Regem
Thanks for the usual excellent review. really interested in this having so many quads it's compatible with.
Nov 24, 2015, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan Animal
Thanks for the usual excellent review. really interested in this having so many quads it's compatible with.
I will try to make a list of direct compatible model
Nov 24, 2015, 11:25 AM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
I will try to make a list of direct compatible model
Thanks very much. I see it works with the X250 so would guess the v636, v959 would too. Also the u807, L6052 and HT F801 I have all work with standard WLToys cameras and of course I have my new X6. If it works with just the WLToys quads and the X6 alone would make it worth my while for me I think.
The results from your video seem quite good, better than I expected for the price.
Nov 24, 2015, 12:40 PM
Got this set some time ago for my X6, and found the major drawback is the limited FOV.

So I did a little mod, using one of those cheap mobile phone wide-angle converter-lenses that's often included with a fisheye-lens that itself somehow no really works with cameras like this. I used the 0.67X wide angle lens (that needs to be paired with the 'macro-lens')

Glued a washer wide enough on the back of the lens, and glued that on the front of the FPVcamera with (gel) superglue. FOV is wider but have to see in practice if it's enough. BTW: I used a bit of black paint to coat the inner rim of the washer and the lens to reduce light-reflection. Now hope it'll work in the real world; the angle-adjustment at least is still usable
Nov 25, 2015, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Got this set some time ago for my X6, and found the major drawback is the limited FOV.

So I did a little mod, using one of those cheap mobile phone wide-angle converter-lenses that's often included with a fisheye-lens that itself somehow no really works with cameras like this. I used the 0.67X wide angle lens (that needs to be paired with the 'macro-lens')

Glued a washer wide enough on the back of the lens, and glued that on the front of the FPVcamera with (gel) superglue. FOV is wider but have to see in practice if it's enough. BTW: I used a bit of black paint to coat the inner rim of the washer and the lens to reduce light-reflection. Now hope it'll work in the real world; the angle-adjustment at least is still usable
Do you have some videos recorded associated with ?
Nov 25, 2015, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Do you have some videos recorded associated with ?
Nope, not yet. Hoping I'll be able to do a test this afternoon (have everything ready to go) but we have rainshowers with only now and again a quick sunny spell ... maybe later this afternoon
Nov 25, 2015, 09:12 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Interesting review as always. Decent camera it seems.

Btw, the LiPo is probably 2C charge rate, I think that is what they meant to say when printing that on. Since the battery is drained in 15 minutes, it gets discharged with 4C already, which would be impossible it it's rated for 2C only.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 25, 2015, 09:56 AM
Went out as I expected the weather to clear, but got rain instead. Was able to squeeze out one video and some pictures. The add-on lens does improve on the FOV but doesn't do the sharpness any favors Will see if I'm able to put some video together later.
Nov 25, 2015, 12:00 PM
Cobbled together a little video of the FPVtestflight earlier this afternoon; hope it'll work as this is my very first video-editing attempt

Improvement of FOV with the ad-on lens is great; I'm not content with the reduction of the overal sharpness though; maybe that has to do with the distance between camera-lens and ad-on lens Have to look into that.

Testfootage film (0 min 53 sec)
Nov 25, 2015, 12:08 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Looks pretty good, but indeed a little "soft focus". I expect you can gain a little there, with better focusing.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 25, 2015, 12:14 PM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
Cobbled together a little video of the FPVtestflight earlier this afternoon; hope it'll work as this is my very first video-editing attempt

Improvement of FOV with the ad-on lens is great; I'm not content with the reduction of the overal sharpness though; maybe that has to do with the distance between camera-lens and ad-on lens Have to look into that.

https://youtu.be/i8_gVhbSixo
Better than the stock footage I've seen. Bit out of focus in distance better close up but the stock setup videos I've watched have had that similar issue. Thoughts on the kit overall?
Nov 25, 2015, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan Animal
Better than the stock footage I've seen. Bit out of focus in distance better close up but the stock setup videos I've watched have had that similar issue. Thoughts on the kit overall?
It's a nice little set to try out FPV for the first time, with a range that seems to be more or less the same as that of the standard Tarantula transmitter. Of course the camera could be better (higher resolution and wider FOV), screen could be better too (better resolution, maybe some settings), but you get the whole set for under $50 which is great. And as FPVset (without recording) you can use it on almost anything without the need to connect up to batteries which might be handy.
Nov 25, 2015, 12:43 PM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
It's a nice little set to try out FPV for the first time, with a range that seems to be more or less the same as that of the standard Tarantula transmitter. Of course the camera could be better (higher resolution and wider FOV), screen could be better too (better resolution, maybe some settings), but you get the whole set for under $50 which is great. And as FPVset (without recording) you can use it on almost anything without the need to connect up to batteries which might be handy.
Yeah looking for a cheap entry into FPV and this should work with recording on quite a few of my quads if it does with the X250 and X6. So worth the entry level price?

Quick Reply