Nov 23, 2015, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

MR Aerodesign DHC-2 Beaver Build

I originally started posting this on my blog, but I thought it may make more sense to post it on the forum to get more exposure.

Not that I want or need exposure! I just thought some may like to follow along. That would probably come in handy at some point anyway! In case I need some advice and such.

The following is basically copied and pasted from my posts on my blog.

I have decided to start building the MR Aerodesign DHC-2 Beaver kit I recently purchased.

I'll be working through it slowly and posting my progress here as I go along.

Below you can see the build manual and very large box containing the parts.

The plans make my 4x6 foot work bench look tiny!

I'll be doing things in the order of the build manual, starting with the tail fin.

As can be seen in the following pic, I have noticed that T6 is not the same shape as it is in the manual or on the plans. It should be a smaller version of T5. I'll likely trace T5 and cut a piece slightly smaller then attach it to the front of T6 to give it the correct shape.

I ordered some of these for the build: http://www.micromark.com/magnetic-gl...ches,7360.html

While I wait for the magnetic clamping jigs to arrive, I decided to start building the second section in the build manual, the rudder.

I started by making a jig to mount R10 above the work surface. Not much of a jig really. I just found a piece of wood in the garage that was about the right size. Then I drilled two holes in it.

The drill bit I wanted to use was too small for the chuck of my drill, so I got the idea to use copper wire to widen it.

I then nailed the board to the work surface and tacked R10 to the piece of wood.

With some magnets to hold the other pieces straight and a few shims to ensure that they are at the correct height, I'm finally putting glue to wood on this massive project!

I still need a few things to really get going at this. Many types of clamps! Another MicroMark order I suppose!

Anyway, I've been making some progress on the rudder at least.

Gluing the stacked hinge pieces (in the clamps).

I cut the pieces of various metal stock for the hinges and drilled out the brass tube where required. It turned out a little crooked, but definitely close enough to not have any problems.

Once all the wooden frame pieces were in place, I got around to epoxying the hinge pivots and such in place.

The control horn is at the very bottom of the rudder using a 4-40 screw that runs through the brass tube that is the inner piece of the lower hinge pivot. I drilled and tapped the brass tube, but that's hardly enough. I added a nut to each side of the screw, but I'm still not satisfied with that.

I think what I will do is fill the bottom 3/8 inch or so with steel epoxy and drill and tap through that. Then with that and the nuts, I should have a very solid mount.

This is quite a learning experience. Sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing!
Last edited by Towble; Nov 25, 2015 at 01:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2015, 10:58 PM
Never heard of that company before....I checked their Web Site and was impressed....some NICE scale planes there....I'll be following your build.

Jerry
Nov 23, 2015, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Today I filled the end of the brass tube with epoxy as I had planned to do.

I sharpened the end of a piece of the same size brass tubing and used it to cut out a small circle of balsa wood that I then inserted about half an inch into the brass tube with a punch.

I then taped around the tube to seal off the holes and filled the end with epoxy making sure to fill from the bottom to the top to avoid air bubbles.

I really hope this works! I'm just winging it! (No pun intended! This is not a wing anyway! It's the rudder! )

I didn't get around to doing much of anything else today. I started sorting more parts into containers. That'll make it easy for me when I go to build a certain section. All I'll have to do is cut the necessary stock since I will have all my laser cut parts punched out and sorted.

I'm quite enjoying myself so far!
Nov 23, 2015, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2
Never heard of that company before....I checked their Web Site and was impressed....some NICE scale planes there....I'll be following your build.

Jerry
I'm very happy to have found Martin's website! He is also very helpful when I have questions! I just email him and he replies right away! Very polite too, and courteous!

I hope you enjoy my build, Jerry!
Nov 25, 2015, 01:37 AM
Thread OP
I made next to no progress on the Beaver today.

I drilled out and tapped the epoxy filled brass tube. I also filed down the sides to better accommodate the jam nuts that I'll put on the 4-40 screw of the control horn. I think it'll be good and sturdy.

I did spend my evening making a nice stand for my drill press though!

I just had the drill press moved over from my dad's house today. I thought about putting it on my work table, but I figured it would just get in the way. The stand came out pretty well considering I didn't really have a plan when I went to the garage to cut the wood!

Anyway, tomorrow is my day off, so hopefully I will get a reasonable amount done. I do have a habit of setting out to do something and wasting time tinkering though!

Just a warning to anyone following along, prepare to be here for years!
Nov 26, 2015, 01:06 AM
Thread OP
MicroMark says: "You can never have too many clamps!" I think I have to agree!

I have started to glue the sheeting on the rudder after fixing a rib that I broke while sanding!

I've also glued the six hinge halves for the elevator. I just needed something to progress on while I wait for my magnetic clamping jig. As I build, the list of tools to buy just keeps getting longer and longer!
Nov 26, 2015, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
For the 3/32" sheeting, I'm resorting to my oldest gluing technique, heavy objects!

As can be seen in the above photo, my weights are comprised of a 200 gram brass weight, .22 cal lead pellets, a high impedance audio output transformer and a 1 and 1/4 inch chassis punch! There's also a speaker there in case I needed it and I also use some magnets from meter movements as both weights and right angle jigs.

I put wax paper around the hinge to avoid glue getting in where it shouldn't be and causing me headaches later on. Hopefully it worked!

I also placed shims under the ribs to avoid distorting the rudder while the weights were in place. I don't want it to come out crooked!

Nov 28, 2015, 01:44 AM
Thread OP
I don't know what most people use, but I find that the best blade for cutting balsa sheeting is not a craft knife blade at all, but a scalpel blade. I use #15 blades.

They fit well in a craft knife handle, but I also have a scalpel handle. The scalpel handle holds them on a very slight angle though, so I find that the craft knife handle works better when cutting a straight line.

They give very clean cuts compared to various types of craft knife blades that I have used. They are not as thick as most craft knife blades and they seem to glide through the material more easily.

Here is a macro shot of an edge cut with a scalpel against the grain:

Things are progressing slowly. I use PVA glue, so that's normal for me. Balsa sheeting is a lot of measuring and remeasuring!

I'm curious as to how many people are following this? I wonder if I've drawn an audience or not.
Nov 28, 2015, 09:20 AM
I'm watching. You are doing so well I have nothing to add. Keep at it.
Nov 28, 2015, 09:58 AM
158 views?
Nov 28, 2015, 03:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos40
I'm watching. You are doing so well I have nothing to add. Keep at it.
Thanks!

Of those 158 views, 100 are probably mine!
Nov 28, 2015, 04:53 PM
I wonder if that last part of the statement is true....does the count go up if viewed from the same IP address? Interesting question......but I'm watching!
Nov 28, 2015, 06:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I wonder if that last part of the statement is true....does the count go up if viewed from the same IP address? Interesting question......but I'm watching!
I assume it does, but I have no idea really! Regardless, I hope you enjoy the build! This thread will span several years!

It's quite an undertaking for me really. Considering I have very little RC modeling experience. In fact, I have never flown an RC model that I built. Not that I'll ever build up the courage to fly this one!
Nov 28, 2015, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Pretty sure it does? Anyway, take your time on the build. The only reason to build these days is for the enjoyment of it.
Nov 28, 2015, 06:37 PM

Aerodesign Beaver

I'm watching as well, Towble, and you're doing a great job, so far.

This is a pretty ambitious project for a first build, but you'll be very happy with the results when you're finished. Martin has done a superb job of laser cutting with this one. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Regards,

Dennis

Quick Reply