Nov 23, 2015, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Need Beginner Recommendation for Plane, Radio, Simulator, etc..

I'm leaning toward a Bixler design, but need help with everything else. I'd like to start with a simulator using the same controller later for live flying. I'd like to purchase most of the components at one time.

Can someone give me a recommendation for everything I need to start in this great hobby?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2015, 08:12 AM
Perpetual Noob

First off

Quote:
Originally Posted by seindianaflyer
I'm leaning toward a Bixler design, but need help with everything else. I'd like to start with a simulator using the same controller later for live flying. I'd like to purchase most of the components at one time.

Can someone give me a recommendation for everything I need to start in this great hobby?

Thanks
First off, you need to answer the question of will you have help? The best source for information will be with local fliers in a local club. There you will find most of the answers to your questions and possibly get an opportunity to put your hands around a lot of the equipment from different manufacturers.

As to planes, a lot will depend on where you will be flying. The type of runway you have available will help sway your choices. Again, the best source for this is from the people around you in a local club rather than the disembodied voices from an Internet forum.

Check the AMA web site for clubs in your area and make contact with them. Do any have instructors willing to take a new student under their wing? What's their flying venue like? Is it grass or hard surface? What types of aircraft are flown there consistently? Lots of things to consider before plunking your money down on equipment. Oh, radios, planes and simulators are only the start. They may be visible part, but it's the support equipment that will be the biggest drain on your wallet to get started.
Nov 23, 2015, 12:25 PM
BoxCar31 is correct. Before we can make a good recommendation to you we need some information from you.

- Will you be learning on your own or will you have an experienced flyer and/or instructor helping you?
- What type of field will you be using? A club field, a local park, your property, etc.?
- What is the size of the field?
- What is the condition of the field? Tall grass, cut grass, dirt, paved, etc.?
- What are your flying interests? Do you like gliders, 3D, warbirds, scale, sport, etc.?
- What is your budget?
- Do you have a good local hobby shop?

The more information that you can provide, the better we will be able to guide you toward your first flight.

By the way, welcome to RC flying!
Nov 23, 2015, 02:02 PM

Ask The Experts

I would eventually like to get to a point of making money with a quad. I would like to find a low cost but not junk photography platform. I have been using a ares FPV, when I am not replacing motors. I have two sims, one a chopper, the other a quad. I have already taken and passed a online quad safety course, and as of this writing looking for more on line courses. I have a limited budget, The only hobby shop in my area is a Hobby Town.
The ares has a approximate range of about 400ft. I do not fly any higher then about 2-300 ft. So any field that I can find has to be about 500ft square, most fields are of dirt, muddy corn fields at times we have had a lot of rain. The wind speed has to be 0-3or4 knots. I have, so far self taught myself, I am aeronautic-ally challenged. what is the next step after the safety course?
Nov 23, 2015, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Mobious
I would eventually like to get to a point of making money with a quad. I would like to find a low cost but not junk photography platform. I have been using a ares FPV, when I am not replacing motors. I have two sims, one a chopper, the other a quad. I have already taken and passed a online quad safety course, and as of this writing looking for more on line courses. I have a limited budget, The only hobby shop in my area is a Hobby Town.
The ares has a approximate range of about 400ft. I do not fly any higher then about 2-300 ft. So any field that I can find has to be about 500ft square, most fields are of dirt, muddy corn fields at times we have had a lot of rain. The wind speed has to be 0-3or4 knots. I have, so far self taught myself, I am aeronautic-ally challenged. what is the next step after the safety course?
Well, the easiest way is the DJI Phantom series. Absolutely the best easy way for rock stable video. Been there. Done that.

When you get the equipment, what you need to do is getting some photography experience. To make money with quads/drones, is all about using it as a stabilized camera platform. A high tripod. A moving camera. Record some video, some fly-bys. Learn to use all features of the drone. I.e. the flight mode that keeps the heading, such that you can i.e. fly parallel with a road filming the cars.

It is more about looking at movies, seeing what works. Try something, edit it. Get lots og experience with Final Cut Pro, DaVinci or whatever tool you are going to use. Knowing how to fly the camera is important, but editing is just as important a skill.
Nov 23, 2015, 03:26 PM
Quote:

Thanks
Got the Bix3, it is pretty beaten up but glued together, and I promised myself to try and visit the local club next time I have time and weather for flying it. Had issues with the ESC rebooting during flight - Could be my APM power module.

Get a Transmitter using Open Source software. FrSky Taranis 9XD is what I would consider today. My Devo-10 with DeviationTX firmware is OK. And for small and light the FlySky i6 is OK, but not hacked to Open Source status yet. But usable. To get a good transmitter we are looking $200-$250 at least.
Nov 23, 2015, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31
First off, you need to answer the question of will you have help? The best source for information will be with local fliers in a local club. There you will find most of the answers to your questions and possibly get an opportunity to put your hands around a lot of the equipment from different manufacturers.

As to planes, a lot will depend on where you will be flying. The type of runway you have available will help sway your choices. Again, the best source for this is from the people around you in a local club rather than the disembodied voices from an Internet forum.

Check the AMA web site for clubs in your area and make contact with them. Do any have instructors willing to take a new student under their wing? What's their flying venue like? Is it grass or hard surface? What types of aircraft are flown there consistently? Lots of things to consider before plunking your money down on equipment. Oh, radios, planes and simulators are only the start. They may be visible part, but it's the support equipment that will be the biggest drain on your wallet to get started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L
BoxCar31 is correct. Before we can make a good recommendation to you we need some information from you.

- Will you be learning on your own or will you have an experienced flyer and/or instructor helping you?
- What type of field will you be using? A club field, a local park, your property, etc.?
- What are your flying interests? Do you like gliders, 3D, warbirds, scale, sport, etc.?
- What is your budget?

The more information that you can provide, the better we will be able to guide you toward your first flight.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. My budget is about $400. There is an AMA group about 20 miles away and the field looks nice. I can also fly walking distance from my house landing on cut grass. This is HOA land and nobody is ever there. Size is about 500 yards by 300 yards. Yes, there is a hobby shop nearby but I haven't been there. I would like to do some simulator flying over the winter with the same radio controller I start flying the plane with. I'm sure I can get someone from the local group to help me in the spring with the real world flying. Hope this helps and thanks for any tips.
Nov 23, 2015, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L

- What is your budget?

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. My budget is about $400. There is an AMA group about 20 miles away and the field looks nice. I can also fly walking distance from my house landing on cut grass. This is HOA land and nobody is ever there. Size is about 500 yards by 300 yards. Yes, there is a hobby shop nearby but I haven't been there. I would like to do some simulator flying over the winter with the same radio controller I start flying the plane with. I'm sure I can get someone from the local group to help me in the spring with the real world flying. Hope this helps and thanks for any tips.
Nov 23, 2015, 07:41 PM
Perpetual Noob
Since your budget is limited, I would start with a Park Flyer size trainer. Two that come to mind are either the Flyzone Sensi or the Ares Decathlon (the Ares Gamma is also an option). Park flyers normally weigh in around 2 pounds or less. The Apprentice S is also a very good trainer, but your field at the HOA is a little small (you need to reduce the size by about 50 yards in each direction for maneuvering. It's plenty long enough for the Apprentice but not wide enough. Buying the RTF or Ready-To-Fly versions will get you everything needed to start, radio, battery and charger. You will need to invest in spares, glue, tape and other items such as small tools for both assembly and repair.

Before making the leap though, the radios that come with the inexpensive RTF trainers may or may not work with a simulator. You may be able to pick up a used radio cheap through Craig's List or something similar, the club members may even have a few they would either sell cheap or give away. Talk to the club members before springing for anything and get their recommendations. They may have preferences that are incompatible with the models suggested. They may also have outdated sim software they would let go cheap. Just because it's down rev doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful for learning in your case. My best suggestion is go with what's prevalent with the club you will associate with. You'll learn more faster and get more help with stuff they are familiar with.
Nov 23, 2015, 08:04 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
There are many options when it comes to airplane choice , transmitter choice , sim choice , etc. The company with probably the best reputation for customer service , quality products and versatility is Horizon Hobby .
http://www.horizonhobby.com/

They carry a line of planes with SAFE or SAFE+ , which is electronics technology that can take you from beginner to intermediate to advanced flying all on the same plane . The SAFE planes are indicated by either "SAFE" , or "SAFE+" , or an "S" at the end of their name .

The SAFE equipped planes work with DSM2/DSMX radios such as Spektrum ( also available at HH ) , I recommend getting at least a 6 channel such as the DX6 .
http://www.horizonhobby.com/dx6-6-ch...itter-spmr6700

The DX6 will be compatible with this sim sold by Horizon Hobby .
http://www.horizonhobby.com/phoenix-...or-v50-rtm5000

Here is a video demonstrating SAFE on a Conscendo Motor Glider .

Hobbyzone Conscendo S RTF and BNF (2 min 59 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Nov 23, 2015 at 08:12 PM.
Nov 23, 2015, 10:01 PM
Closed Account
The Apprentice S RTF comes with full range DX5e radio safe for learning and is 4 channel plane. Can fly in some wind. Clearview simulator is not the best simulator but is good and can be download for about $40.00 you can get a usb control which looks and fly justt like your dx5e from hobbyking or nitro hobby for about $20.00. This puts you at 360.00 plus tax a A great start also your radio can buddy box at the flying clubs most times. Horizon hobby stands behind there planes so you have help if all is not right. I have the usb control for simulators myself and fly a lot with them.
Last edited by papadwight; Nov 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM.
Nov 24, 2015, 01:25 PM

Ask The Experts

Thank You p[ovlhp.
I have looked at the DJI line, the one thing I don't like about them, is you have to use your phone or tablet for FPV,
I have have been looking at Blade 350 pro, Like the Chroma, but out of my price range.
Also looking at some of the Walkera Brands.
On both I have read not so good reviews, the Walkera has LVC issues,
The Blade, I have read that it the quad falls over it breaks the GPS antenna, both have poor customer service.
BUT they both have FPV screens built in.
In the mean time I have been reading up on the FAA stuff, need a lawyer to help me translate it.
Looking for good on line Quad tests.
Nov 24, 2015, 10:08 PM
Quote:
My budget is about $400. ... I can also fly walking distance from my house landing on cut grass. . .
Sounds a bit like me, field just round the corner, taught myself, used a Bixler V1, eventually replaced with a V1.1. Original Tx a HK6V2 ~$25US and replaced by a Turnigy 9x <$60US and eventually zapped it/updated it to ER9x software. The Rxs are compatible and cheap. $400 sounds quite enough. There is also the option of building your own after the Bixler and DIYs can be cheap ~<$10 for an airframe and move the electronics over when the airframe becomes too damaged. Electronics and all for less than $100 ($50?).

Parts needed - got that on the home computer and should be there in a couple of days time.
Nov 25, 2015, 05:58 PM
Maybe you can start out with the WL Toys F959 or F949. RTF for about $50.

Quick Reply