Nov 22, 2015, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What went wrong

I almost had a catastrophe today. I was flying my Walkera Runner 250 with my Turnigy 9x transmitter. I was adjusting the trim during flight with the trim buttons when suddenly I lost control of the quad. The Turnigy beeped and said system error on the screen. The controls were dead and the quad was headed up and away from me. I thought it was a goner. I turned the Turnigy off then back on and thank God I regained control of the quad.

What caused this? I'm fairly new to this and this was a first for me. Luckily nothing bad happened but I'm a little worried because I have no idea why this happened.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2015, 11:04 PM
Walkera, Turnigy, what could possibly go wrong?
Nov 22, 2015, 11:17 PM
Your Tx stopped talking to your Rx, that's what wrong.

Check/update your Tx firmware, maybe it's a bug that result in a system error. You can try to reproduce the bug by holding your quad and go crazy with trimming again?
Nov 23, 2015, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
Walkera, Turnigy, what could possibly go wrong?
I laughed.

As an aside, Pat, maybe this is the guy that killed the horse?
Nov 23, 2015, 09:07 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooom101
...snip... What caused this? I'm fairly new to this and this was a first for me. Luckily nothing bad happened but I'm a little worried because I have no idea why this happened.
Don`t know why or what happened BUT you really have no need to trim a multirotor. Doesn't your flight controller work properly keeping the model level ?!?!?
Nov 23, 2015, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Don`t know why or what happened BUT you really have no need to trim a multirotor. Doesn't your flight controller work properly keeping the model level ?!?!?
To add to this, trims should be disabled when flying a multi rotor. Your FC should handle this and in fact most say to ensure all trims are zeroed before calibrating.
Nov 23, 2015, 10:51 AM
To add more, some transmitters with Multirotor programming will have Trims already disabled or at least provide this option to disable them. Some RTF transmitters like the one with RTF 350QX don`t even have trimmers on them
Nov 24, 2015, 12:28 PM
Thread OP
I appreciate the help. I originally started trimming the quad because it was drifting. I now know it was doing this because I it wasn't level when I was binding. I have since learned how to calibrate the gyros and accelerometers. I never readjusted the trim though. Maybe this is why I always have a little drift. I'll zero everything out, recalibrate on a level surface and see what happens.

What if I do all this and the quad still drifts? If trimming isn't appropriate what is the solution?

Thanks again for the help.
Nov 24, 2015, 12:34 PM
If they don't have GPS LOCK it's normal to have some drift.
Nov 24, 2015, 12:35 PM
Quote:
I appreciate the help. I originally started trimming the quad because it was drifting. I now know it was doing this because I it wasn't level when I was binding. I have since learned how to calibrate the gyros and accelerometers. I never readjusted the trim though. Maybe this is why I always have a little drift. I'll zero everything out, recalibrate on a level surface and see what happens.

What if I do all this and the quad still drifts? If trimming isn't appropriate what is the solution?

Thanks again for the help.
No, never use trim. You have something else going on then
Nov 24, 2015, 12:51 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fRzzy
Your Tx stopped talking to your Rx, that's what wrong.

Check/update your Tx firmware, maybe it's a bug that result in a system error. You can try to reproduce the bug by holding your quad and go crazy with trimming again?
You cannot update or check the firmware on a stock Turnigy 9x.

To do that the OP would have to install a Smartiparts board and make some other modifications.
Nov 24, 2015, 12:54 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Just out of curiousity, what flight controller and radio receiver are you using?
Nov 24, 2015, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
My flight controller is the one supplied by Walkera. It is a multiwii controller from what I have read. I'm using a turnigy 8 channel receiver.
Nov 24, 2015, 04:24 PM
Quote:
My flight controller is the one supplied by Walkera. It is a multiwii controller from what I have read. I'm using a turnigy 8 channel receiver.
You would be correct. Also just so you know. The runner does not have GPS unless you bought the one with GPS so it will drift around about depending on wind balance etc. Still DO NOT USE TRIMS WITH IT. I would also not use that radio.
Nov 24, 2015, 04:29 PM
Honorable Deplorable
I had the exact same thing happen to mine, though mine feel into a field and smacked a rock pile. Your easiest bet is to get a new receiver, as the one I got on the unit itself was faulty. Don't waste your time trying to get Walkera to help you.... I wasted over a month with them and another month with Paypal trying to get my money back.

The receiver you can get from hobby king for around $25 or so.

Quick Reply