This thread is privately moderated by North_of_49, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 21, 2015, 08:04 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Thread OP
Cool

Pro BoatŪ Volere 22 (1950's Riva Ariston)

Horizon Hobby Pro BoatŪ Volere 22 EP RTR V2 (PRB3050B)
One of the most sought after styles of the 1950s, the Volere™ runabout is picture perfect on the lake or on the mantle. With a look that’s stood the test of time, these wooden masterpieces are some of the most beautiful watercraft in the world. This scale model features a water-cooled 550-size electric motor and Pro BoatŪ 2.4GHz radio system. Plus, real wood trim is layered on a blow-molded ABS plastic hull to create a realistic look. Right down to the tiniest detail, the Volere is the real deal from its elaborate interior to its elegant wood finish. This classic of the lakeside is a symbol of a bygone era.

My first r/c boat

Was already back-ordered at Horizon when I ordered it through my LHS March 31 almost 8 months ago . ETA moved forward and backward several times with due dates coming and going, I almost gave up on it, but it arrived this week just in time to get shelved until spring because water here began freezing over about a week or two ago

... sure is pretty, though (based on a 1950's Italian Riva Ariston)

http://www.boatinternational.com/yac...launches--1931

I'm considering a brushless conversion and scale lighting. I'm looking for a light weight but scale looking driver and passenger ... and I'll need to come up with my own flag since Canada is missing from the sheet of international flags
Last edited by North_of_49; Nov 21, 2015 at 11:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2015, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Riva Ariston

RIVA ARISTON Serre-Ponçon Puig Nautisme (2 min 41 sec)
Last edited by North_of_49; Nov 21, 2015 at 11:48 PM.
Nov 21, 2015, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
reserved 2
Nov 21, 2015, 09:05 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Now, are you happy I talked you into waiting for this beauty? She is beautiful Good luck with her Mon'

Mike.
Nov 21, 2015, 09:12 PM
Thread OP
Yup

Thanks, Mike
Nov 22, 2015, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
Long Run Times?
longer than what the stock battery and motor gives, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
I bid you luck in finding a Brushless motor that can operate in the lower extremes of both Voltage and Current to provide you with a good amount of run time and keeping it light. Most of the Brushless motors that I see out on the market are made for speed and have high Kv.

Yup. Some of the guys who have gone brushless with this boat have used the Traxxas Velineon 3500, of which I have had sitting new in box for 3 years (the older less torque-y 2-pole version). Not that that's necessarily what I'd use. Turnigy has some interesting brushless boat motors in the sub 2000kv range (some with their own water jacket), and that's what I've found in just the first minutes of searching... I have all winter

My motivation for going brushless is not necessarily entirely about speed. My comment about it is posted here...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=124

I'm having no problem sourcing brushless marine ESCs with reverse from Dynamite, Turnigy (appear to be Hobbywing), Hobbywing etc.
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 21, 2016 at 05:34 PM.
Dec 30, 2015, 12:05 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Finally it arrived! That must have been quite the wait. As for motors, I wanted to look at the ones with the cooling jacket but it looks like the v2 version still didn't fix the stupid motor mount. You need something that will fit inside the heatsink strap or else you will need to fabricate something (I will look into that for mine)

Also a BL system would likely weigh this boat down, mine as it stands sits very low in the water and any more weight would be counterproductive
Dec 30, 2015, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, I had a question for you about something you posted in the Volere 22 thread, it's currently the last post in the thread... I guess you must have missed it at the time.

I've had a concern about what happens if this boat flips (I saw mention in the YouTube comments of a video of the Graupner Silver Spirit that said it will sink ) but I have a solution. I was considering putting some air filled plastic pillows that sometimes come in packaging for stuff I buy online inside the boat but it's too difficult to get them in the bow or anywhere else because of the shape of the access points in the boat. Then I thought I'd just cut some small blocks of EPS (Styrofoam) in sizes that I could get into tricky places. But now I have a better idea, I came across a bag of these in the basement that I've been saving ...

Name: A600.2-33.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 355.4 KB
Description:
Last edited by North_of_49; Dec 30, 2015 at 12:22 AM.
Dec 30, 2015, 12:25 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Why not try some insulation foam spray

Mike.
Dec 30, 2015, 01:17 AM
Thread OP
I don't want anything permanent, Mike. The peanuts will be easy to place strategically and remove if need be They're the perfect thing for what I want to do.
Jan 28, 2016, 11:40 PM
No Canada on your sticker sheet, somebody gets fired!!! Sweet boat ya got there North. I haven't had a boat in a few years now, been meaning to look into another. A lot of boats I have seen have all sorts of odd things hanging by rope on the sides. Maybe something scale to that nature would help it float if it tips?
Jan 28, 2016, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
I'm still looking for the proper size flag There's a dollar store nearby with a bunch of Canada flag based stuff I'll check out.

I think the packing peanuts are going to be perfect. The open spaces inside are limited in shape and size and I'll be able to get them exactly where I need them, and they'll be easily removable if I need to work on something in there
Jan 29, 2016, 07:46 AM
I'm BIG on micros
I have a spare canada flag, if you want it it's yours. I personally opted for the GB Union Jack
Jan 30, 2016, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
JSS4,

got dimensions on it? Material?

Thanks, man
Feb 03, 2016, 02:06 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
North, Did you try googling "Flag stores"?? There must be a flag store somewhere near you. They are very popular especially around here.

Mike.

Quick Reply