Nov 21, 2015, 02:54 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Question

"X-29" slope soarer - maiden success.

I have never managed to get to this field in our great hobby, but just managed to confiscate this un-usual model built some 20 years ago as a slope soarer by a great modeller from some magazine plans, never completed but I'm converting it to EDF power. Anyone still flying it?
Last edited by jofro; Dec 05, 2015 at 03:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2015, 10:34 PM

might not perform well

I think your wing is too thin for power. Powered planes generally have thicker wings to slow them down better on final. With the added weight, motor in back and battery up front, you also may not have the pitch authority intended by the sloper's design.

I'm no expert, but have heard of difficulties in crossing over.

That looks like a terrific subject, and I haven't seen one fly.

good luck
Dave
Nov 22, 2015, 02:52 AM
jofro
Thread OP
This one actually has great wing profile, flat bottom and nicely curved top pretty thick at the root. Most if my own design EDF jets have no wing profile, flat as a plank and fly like magic. (pics) Even with the added weight it will be light for its size. The only challenge will be to set correct mix of front and rear elevator and the thrust line of my power unit. I love the challenge.
Nov 22, 2015, 05:35 AM
Thats something special, no doubt about that. If you have something like that (a little off the normal) and wants it to fly I think in many cases you will get a long way just by keeping it as light as possible.

You may want to be able to adjust things like the fan thrust angle and cg, perhaps by shimming it and remount it, I would have that in mind.

Nice picture - a big flat field invites to some smooth landings most times I dont have the luxary of a nice landing field and a plane like that in balsa would most likely be damaged every landing. Thats one of the things I miss with slope gliders compared to powered - smooth landings and takeoff.
Nov 22, 2015, 06:20 AM
Appeared in RCM&E - 29years ago, first stab at redrawing in AutoCAD with a different aerofoil. never built it but the swept forward wing design sounded to be a good idea at the time.

Regards Ian.
Nov 25, 2015, 03:30 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
Appeared in RCM&E - 29years ago, first stab at redrawing in AutoCAD with a different aerofoil. never built it but the swept forward wing design sounded to be a good idea at the time.

Regards Ian.
I wouldn't mind to see the original article on this build 29 years ago, have you got the issue?
I just fitted the power unit formers and bit more work on the frame before I start fitting servos and the l/gear.
Nov 25, 2015, 02:39 PM
Just curious, but do you think the canopy will cause any turbulence for either the verticals or the EDF? I've normally seen EDFs in clear air.
Tom
Nov 25, 2015, 05:37 PM
jofro
Thread OP
I'll find out, but doubt it will create any issue, there is no obstruction to limit my air intake, efflux power is what will count in this case to get decent speed for full controlbillity.
Nov 25, 2015, 06:15 PM
Phil.T-tailer
that looks seriously cool - gotta be chucked off a slope
googled up X29 slope soarer - found this post
http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules...forumpost69989
so it is possible
Phil.
Nov 25, 2015, 06:37 PM
Living the dream
LOL you Googled me

That pic was of the redoubtable Ralph Roberts and his X-29: http://www.inlandsloperebels.com/x-29/x-29.html
Nov 26, 2015, 05:34 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Listed on the PSSA Online site too :
http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/gallery-...0Hammerton.htm
Nov 26, 2015, 05:56 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Thanks very much Guys, I will have a closer look at these sites, not much into internet searching myself. During my average 1/2 in front of the PC the signal cuts out 3-5 times. That's the price you pay living in the paradise, it just cut out again! had to restart it while writing this.
Nov 27, 2015, 01:51 AM
jofro
Thread OP
After looking at above links there is no info on these models beside few pics. My build with totally redesigned elevator and twin rudder plus the EDF power will be a different thing and lot more stable after I'll sort out correct elevator mixing. Before I get this thing in the air I'm building exactly 1/2 size chukker replica out of foamcore just to give me some idea about the canard/elevator travels requirement..
Nov 27, 2015, 03:54 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Hey jofro,
here is a link to the plan for an X29 on the myhobbystoremedia page :
https://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produ...-grumman-x-29a
I hope this helps.
Nov 27, 2015, 05:32 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Thanks mate but I don't need the plan, I got the real thing. If there is anyone with flying experience of this thing it would be lot more interesting to share some info.

Quick Reply