Nov 20, 2015, 07:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Multiplex Heron RR vs. E-Flight Mystique 2.9 ARF

I'm looking at these two full house sailplanes to do thermal flying. The Heron is foam, slightly smaller plane and significantly lighter in weight (by about 2 lbs). The Mystique is larger, balsa and composite materials, more expensive since the ARF full house version still requires radio, servos, motor, speed controller, etc. They both get really good reviews. Anyone have any first hand experience with either glider?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2015, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Hmmmmm... doing some research, it looks like both of these gliders have pretty high wing loading values (electric powered). Mystique - 10.8 oz/sq ft., Heron - 11.9 oz/sq ft.
Nov 21, 2015, 04:39 AM
dare to thermal
if larger and with a similar wing loading, the larger plane is the better option. But if the Mystique would be on the heavy side due to motor and battery the difference isnīt that large.
2kg is ok IMO, 2.4kg is too heavy. So, if you choose the Mystique do some research on a light drive train.
Nov 25, 2015, 12:43 PM
I went through the same decision process!

Since I am not really a foam fan the Mystique won and I am really happy I went that way. I liked the plane so much that I now have 2, a full-house and a RES.

They fly really well and the construction is really good, I am sorry but no foam plane will ever be in the same class, just a personal opinion

Rudi
Nov 26, 2015, 10:03 PM
Couple of beauties for real ! Foam just doesn't look right to me either. I like the Sun shinning throught the wings. Mystique is bigger/ lighter/ and looks better. I'm sure Multi-plex bird is nice to.
May 29, 2016, 11:03 PM
Cloud Dancer Jr
The Heron is a thermaling bird. I talked my dad into getting one. Even tho he has giant scale Sailplanes. And he was impressed with it's ability to stay up for extended time. I have even light sloped mine from Marine creek damn here in fort worth. It's only a 30 foot bank but a north west wind works great.
I am not knocking the mystique. But I have heard you can't fly it too fast due to flutter. But I bet if you use good strong servos and linkages and tape the hing line you should be good.
May 29, 2016, 11:39 PM
Mystique nice wood flying Glider in pure form. Heron flying beer cooler.
May 31, 2016, 12:22 AM
aka KF7DS
I have had flown both. Sold my Mystique RES as the stock RR Heron feels lighter to fly and more nimble and was the better thermaler of the two. Recently lost my Heron and purchased the kit and aiming to get the weight down around 42-45 oz, and it should fly great.

If you constantly fly in windy conditions, the Mystique could be the better choice.
Jun 01, 2016, 11:04 AM
I've never seen my buddies' Mystique tip stall like my other friends' Heron. Complaining about flutter at high speeds is like objecting over Marilyn Monroes' skirt lifting over a sidewalk vent.
Jun 01, 2016, 08:53 PM
Depends on what you like. Easy to bash either for one reason or another. To me woodies with transparent covering hard to beat when flying.

Quick Reply