Nov 20, 2015, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lesson Learned about Interpreting Plans

I'm building a Sig Somethin' Extra kit. I just learned a lesson about interpreting the plans. I looked at this former on the plans and it says "FACING FORWARD".

I took that to mean that the viewer of the drawing is facing forward (towards the nose of the plane). I was wrong. What they meant was that the side of the former they are showing is facing the front of the plane.

The direction is important because the holes for the pushrod tubes are going to be in different locations if you have the piece flipped the wrong way.

Dang. My fault for not thoroughly investigating before gluing.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2015, 08:42 PM
Culper Junior
I took that to mean that the viewer of the drawing is facing forward (towards the nose of the plane).

I've been building for over 55 years and that is how I would interpret that note on the plans.

Facing forward means just that.
Nov 20, 2015, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
I took that to mean that the viewer of the drawing is facing forward (towards the nose of the plane).

I've been building for over 55 years and that is how I would interpret that note on the plans.

Facing forward means just that.
Yeah that's what I thought.... But the person who made the plans was thinking the other way around.

I admire SIG and all they have done for the hobby, but I must say I find these instructions very lacking. 90% of the information is communicated in written statements, the other 10% with some small, poor resolution photographs. Photographs, not drawings. Drawings would be much better. A good drawing would have made this crystal clear.

What's funny is the photograph in the instructions was taken at just the right angle to perfectly block the orientation of the holes from view.

Whatever, couple minutes with a dremel and its all fixed.
Nov 20, 2015, 09:51 PM
Culper Junior
Unless they were trying to say it is a pic of the 'forward face' of bulkhead F-6, and somebody transposed what somebody else told him. Either way, could have been said simpler.
Nov 20, 2015, 11:12 PM
I just want to go fly!
at least they try to help with pics. bluejay... your on your own with words only. not great for a newish builder. IMHO.
Nov 21, 2015, 01:06 AM
"As viewed from front" would have been a better choice of words.

I spent a great deal of my life working on cars. We always referred to "drivers" or "passengers" side, never left or right. When you're viewing things under the hood from the front end, it can get confusing.
Nov 21, 2015, 09:10 AM
When I draw a part that has to be facing forwards (or backwards), I put "FRONT" or "BACK" on that part's template.

My preference is to draw up the entire model, cut out all the parts, then build from those plans. That way, I do all the hard brainwork before I sit down at the workbench.

CD
Nov 21, 2015, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayQuiet
"As viewed from front" would have been a better choice of words.

I spent a great deal of my life working on cars. We always referred to "drivers" or "passengers" side, never left or right. When you're viewing things under the hood from the front end, it can get confusing.
That assumes that you drive on the right-hand side of the road. In Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Great Britain, Japan and Ireland and doubtless elsewhere, they drive on the left and the steering wheel is on the right....
Nov 21, 2015, 10:40 AM
What?!?!
You should actually THINK while building from kit or plans, instead of slapping the pieces together?

Nov 21, 2015, 11:23 AM
If there are two ways to interpret something, I will interpret it the wrong way 90% of the time. Well it seems like an easy fix. At least you did not build two left wings, two left fuse sides. Done that one too.

Buzz.
Nov 21, 2015, 11:33 AM
I learned long ago that formers and bulkheads are always drawn as viewed from the front of the vessel.

Andy
Nov 21, 2015, 02:18 PM
Culper Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
That assumes that you drive on the right-hand side of the road. In Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Great Britain, Japan and Ireland and doubtless elsewhere, they drive on the left and the steering wheel is on the right....
What's the difference? Drivers side is always drivers side and passenger is always passenger.
Nov 21, 2015, 06:45 PM
Quote:
What's the difference? Drivers side is always drivers side and passenger is always passenger.
I'm a Yank, but I do articles for RCMW (a Traplett magazine).

We Yanks have the driver's seat on the left side, but in the UK (and elsewhere), the driver's side is the RIGHT side. So, unless you specify how your coordinate system works, you'll just confuse your readers.

CD
Nov 21, 2015, 07:54 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
A quick look at the top view should have clarified that for you...They generally identify the pushrods there, as well......No matter- you learned a valuable lesson.
Keep on, keepin' on.
Nov 23, 2015, 11:42 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
What side of a mountain is the "North Face"? Depends.....

Quick Reply