This thread is privately moderated by rdstarwalt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 20, 2015, 07:55 AM
AMA 79169
Thread OP
Discussion

Friday's Did You Know (74)...

...that Jack Headley offers no explanation for the name of this nice little bi-plane? He refers to it as 'The Happy Bipe' in the May 1979 issue of Model Aviation. The emphasis in the text was his indecision on the design features and his final choice was 'all of the above'. The Peliban is an excellent two, or three channel aircraft choice and could even be built for the FF fan. His previous Model Aviation article was about 15 months prior to this issue and the subject of our previous blog. There is one more MA Headley design to feature. It was his last before leaving us too soon.

Like many of his designs, the construction features straight wings of a built up style. The lower wing is permanently attached to the fuselage and the upper wing is removable. The plans are available from the AMA Plans service and I have attached an edited screen cap of the listing. Did you know that the Plans Service can scale up or down any plan in their listing? Perhaps Peliban at 33% larger would make an interesting project? If you think about it, what other business/service has been able to support model aviation plans for as long as the AMA? (I'm a fan for full disclosure).

Clearly missing from this article are any photos of a Headley or Kevin Flynn. Even the 'bodiless arm' is missing. Regardless, today we can enjoy and learn from the simple approach Jack Headley took with Peliban. If only we knew where the name came from? (Yeah, I tried several search engines. Nothing obvious floated to the top.)

Next week will feature the last Jack Headley design/build article in Model Aviation.

-=Doug
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply