This thread is privately moderated by WoodyInMD, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 19, 2015, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

ParkZone Sports Cub S2 rebuild

So a few months ago i crashed my Sport Cub S2. Classic case of dumb thumbs; there i was trying to fly inverted circuits of the flying field to learn a new skill and i pulled when i should have pushed.

Nett result, one detached nose (snapped right in front of the canopy), bent prop, busted spinner and cowl.

So, it's time for a rebuild. And that's always a good opportunity to upgrade....yay!

The nose was pretty easy to reattach with a good measure of FoamTac but the various crash-related wrinkles bugged me and, well, almost everyone has a red Sports Cub.

So, here's what i had laid out in my mind for the rebuild:

- repair the nose
- change the colour
- add DELight kit with custom strobes, landing lights and beacon
- add a Dr Mad Thrust 3A BEC with Rx switched 2A supply
- upgrade ESC to Castle Creation 36A
- replace prop with something a little beefier
- upgrade the landing gear to add rear 'legs'

First things first, get the fuselage back together and looking good.

First up was a few layers of 3/4oz glass cloth with minwax. Followed by a layer of medium CA (good tip from one of the builds over on the PZ Ka-8 thread). Next up some high build auto primer to try to disguise my amateur efforts with the glass cloth.

Now for the tricky decision; colour scheme. Pretty much as soon as i sketched out the standard scheme in yellow/silver and black i knew that was the direction i would be going. So let's start with the fuse first with a sport of masking.....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2015, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
Here's the masking/painting process so far tonight.

I used the original stickers/decals to cut a mask for the yellow stripe (red on the stock Sport Cub) and given the lower/rear fuselage a coat of aluminium spray.

I had previously given the cockpit area a coat of silver, thinking it would be a great reflective finish, but the underlying primer wasn't very smooth and the masking tape also pulled up some of the finish. I think the best bet might be to make some sort of vinyl sticker pieces to create the windows and get rid of the pilot silhouette.

Next step, apply the original black stripe above the yellow, mask and apply a coat of sun yellow Krylon.
Nov 20, 2015, 06:24 PM

Gear supports

In case you didn't catch my posts , check my blog for images on my gear mods. Btw I like your paint scheme . I added a black stripe to a p51 wing , boy did it stand out in the air. Helped huge with orientation at a distance.
My new in the box sport cub was a nightmare, turned out to be an arf project. Warranty fuse, wings, and tail. Thought about changing the color myself, looks like what your doing is a lot of fun. Did you look at the Cub Crafters website for colour ideas? Hope my pics can be of use.
I tested my second gen. mod yesterday on my maiden ,functions perfectly. Greased it , no bounce, no cg change.
Nov 20, 2015, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern flyer
In case you didn't catch my posts , check my blog for images on my gear mods. Btw I like your paint scheme . I added a black stripe to a p51 wing , boy did it stand out in the air. Helped huge with orientation at a distance.
My new in the box sport cub was a nightmare, turned out to be an arf project. Warranty fuse, wings, and tail. Thought about changing the color myself, looks like what your doing is a lot of fun. Did you look at the Cub Crafters website for colour ideas? Hope my pics can be of use.
I tested my second gen. mod yesterday on my maiden ,functions perfectly. Greased it , no bounce, no cg change.
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, the colour scheme is a stock Cub Crafters option but i'll be adding a checker tail and modifying the wing scheme. Still not decided on the latter, although yellow with black L/E feels like the favourite so far.

That said, maybe aluminium for the rear two thirds with a black leading edge and yellow stripe between the two? Or yellow leading edge with a black stripe? Who knows.......

I've been checking out gear options and trying to figure out the best route. Thanks for the pointers. I can't figure out if i prefer the more 'stock; option of mounting the trailing legs to the same point as the wing struts or going for the arguable stronger option of tying into the rear float mount points like you have.

With the former, no springs are necessary in the rear legs as they would be mounted to allow them to rotate 'outward', but i worry about the loads that would be applied to the strut mounts. Your method appears stronger as it uses a mounting point designed to take vertical loads and the springs absorb the shock loads.

I think this will require some cogitating over beers......
Nov 20, 2015, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
Here's the fuselage with the final yellow coat, before and after masking removed. I'll be adding some additional 'colour' in the form of some black anti-glare panels on top of the cowl and maybe black/grey/gunmetal on the cylinder head blisters (mainly to contrast the white 'Sport Cub graphics').

The horizontal tail has received a coat of aluminium to match the fuselage and the vertical tail has a coat of black reading for masking the checkers. Not sure if the checkers will be black/white or black/aluminium, but i'll run a test first......

So far the fuse weight has increased by about 2oz (up from about 200g to 260g) so i'll need to pay attention to the resulting CG shift and maybe move a few components further forward. That said, i'm toying with the addition of a metal spinner that will add some nose weight anyway.

Pretty happy with the finish so far. There are a few minor blemishes on the paintwork, some from the underlying surface and some from masking, but i hope a coat of clear will at least cover the latter.

Must figure out what to do about the cockpit 'glass'. I tried a coat of silver paint but the finish was poor and also marred by masking. I think i saw someone had used a 'silver' vinyl plus black striping. Time to trawl through the Sport Cub thread again.....
Nov 21, 2015, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
Ran up some test schemes on the old wing to get some feel for the final finish.

I'm favoring the black/aluminium checkers for the vertical tail, to keep in with the main fuselage colors. Adding the white would, i think, be too much and the aluminium is a nice contrast.

As for the wing, i tried a yellow/black/aluminium scheme to see how it would look but i was still leaning toward the yellow leading edge/aluminium skin look. Only issue was how to add some contrast for orientation purposes when it struck me that a couple or three 'invasion' stripes in black might help. Time for another test on the other old wing.....
Nov 22, 2015, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyInMD
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, the colour scheme is a stock Cub Crafters option but i'll be adding a checker tail and modifying the wing scheme. Still not decided on the latter, although yellow with black L/E feels like the favourite so far.

I've been checking out gear options and trying to figure out the best route. Thanks for the pointers. I can't figure out if i prefer the more 'stock; option of mounting the trailing legs to the same point as the wing struts or going for the arguable stronger option of tying into the rear float mount points like you have

With the former, no springs are necessary in the rear legs as they would be mounted to allow them to rotate 'outward', but i worry about the loads that would be applied to the strut mounts. Your method appears stronger as it uses a mounting point designed to take vertical loads and the springs absorb the shock loads.

I think this will require some cogitating over beers......

I looked at the more stock option but didn't like sharing attachment points with the wing struts. I'm going to fab some carbon fiber wing struts soon , two , like stock , per side.
The rear mount aligns the rear shock struts more in the direction you want resistance .
I put some tiny Orings behind the struts on the wire in case the rear struts bottom out on hard impact , didn't want to stress the rear float mounts as I intend to use floats one day.
I think the best part of the gear mod is the use of the O-rings between the gear , they offer dampening and limits to the gear legs springing and spreading, and off and on in a second for battery changes.
I've seen you latest pics and thought carbon cub with the silver scheme. Looking good.
I've used a light weight feathering poly filler for foam blemishes, works really good , easy to sand and apply .
I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress ... happy landings.
Nov 23, 2015, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I looked at the more stock option but didn't like sharing attachment points with the wing struts. I'm going to fab some carbon fiber wing struts soon , two , like stock , per side.
The rear mount aligns the rear shock struts more in the direction you want resistance .
I put some tiny Orings behind the struts on the wire in case the rear struts bottom out on hard impact , didn't want to stress the rear float mounts as I intend to use floats one day.
I think the best part of the gear mod is the use of the O-rings between the gear , they offer dampening and limits to the gear legs springing and spreading, and off and on in a second for battery changes.
I've seen you latest pics and thought carbon cub with the silver scheme. Looking good.
I've used a light weight feathering poly filler for foam blemishes, works really good , easy to sand and apply .
I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress ... happy landings.
Thanks mate. I can definitely see that your mounting method is the easier and likely more robust option. I'm just drawn to the stock looking mounting points but it'll all depend on what happens when i get to that stage of the build.

Keep us posted on the CF wing struts. I've reinforced mine with CF tube and wrapped in white shrink tube but single piece struts would be neater!
Nov 23, 2015, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
So the vertical tail is painted. Took a while to get all those 1" squares cut and applied, especially around the leading and trailing edges, but it was worth the effort.

Also ran up a test of the wing colour scheme with 'war' stripes to help with orientation. Still not settled on the scheme yet so i'll be working up a few more sketches to see what else might work.

Looks good so far though and it definitely stands out better than the stock red/white scheme.
Nov 25, 2015, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
Slow progress over the last day or so. I've been tidying up the vertical tail with a small patch of yellow on the leading edge root, in order to blend into the fuse upper surface, and thinking about how i'm going to work the tail strobe into the design.

Other than that it's been mainly sketches for the wing upper surface and the prop.

I've got a choice of several props to play with; MAS 10x6 and 10x7 and APC 10x6E, 10x7E and 10x7SF.

I've heard good things about the slow flight prop but, to my eye, it just doesn't look right. The APC 10x7E is leading the way (no pun intended) but it'll need a lick of paint. Several sketches later and i'm looking at a Cubcrafter inspired double yellow swatch on each tip with a silver/aluminium leading edge 'erosion' strip.
Nov 26, 2015, 07:09 PM

prop options

Hi Woody, I like the sketches. The 'invasion' stripes look the best to me. I would look at two stripes , a stripe width from the end of the wing , SS muscle car look. Your getting really creative with some of those drawings, very cool. You mention aesthetics in prop choice. I'm with you there. I can't stand fake looking props, grey aps I must paint black , unless it works with the colour scheme, or thin sf props that just look wrong. Just like the stock sport cub prop, fake looking flower petal blades.
I picked up a t-28, 10x7 eflight prop. Same thick hub , no washer needed. Easy swap and cheap. For more pitch the eflight hawker sea fury uses an eflight 10x8 . Both have a real prop look and come from 480 motored birds.
30amp sc for the t28, sea fury uses a 45amp sc.
Probably would never need a 45amp on the sport cub being hundreds of grams lighter than the sea fury with retracts.
I have both those props, the 30amp sc. But want a few flights stock to get a base line to compare with.

Two cents worth, cheers..
Nov 28, 2015, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi Woody, I like the sketches. The 'invasion' stripes look the best to me. I would look at two stripes , a stripe width from the end of the wing , SS muscle car look.
I'll try sketching that up. Based on the sketches so far, i'm leaning toward the 'sun ray' design with three black stripes spreading out from the cockpit, but i'm curious to see the variations on invasion stripes. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Your getting really creative with some of those drawings, very cool. You mention aesthetics in prop choice. I'm with you there. I can't stand fake looking props, grey aps I must paint black , unless it works with the colour scheme, or thin sf props that just look wrong. Just like the stock sport cub prop, fake looking flower petal blades.
Thanks mate. I'm hoping to finish painting up the APC 10x7E today. Tricky work getting the masking done evenly and getting a smooth paint finish, although a thin layer of lacquer might help.....

Quote:
I picked up a t-28, 10x7 eflight prop. Same thick hub , no washer needed. Easy swap and cheap. For more pitch the eflight hawker sea fury uses an eflight 10x8 . Both have a real prop look and come from 480 motored birds.
30amp sc for the t28, sea fury uses a 45amp sc.
Probably would never need a 45amp on the sport cub being hundreds of grams lighter than the sea fury with retracts.
I have both those props, the 30amp sc. But want a few flights stock to get a base line to compare with.

Two cents worth, cheers..
Let me know you find the Sport Cub performance with those two props. It might be worth a look when i next take a trip to Hobby Hangar.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:19 PM
Quote:
I'll try sketching that up. Based on the sketches so far, i'm leaning toward the 'sun ray' design with three black stripes spreading out from the cockpit, but i'm curious to see the variations on invasion stripes. Will keep you posted.
I think your right , the sunray (image 3 top) is the best looking.
The white stripes beside the black (invasion pattern) , not sure if they would be needed, or look as good.

Quote:
Let me know you find the Sport Cub performance with those two props. It might be worth a look when i next take a trip to Hobby Hangar.
Will do.

Here's a template top view and side view of a cub , maybe of some help with your renderings if you print them out and colour them.

Also a pic of my favourite high wing plane , 'the bird dog'.
Later.
Dec 10, 2015, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaciFlyer
Will do.

Here's a template top view and side view of a cub , maybe of some help with your renderings if you print them out and colour them.

Also a pic of my favourite high wing plane , 'the bird dog'.
Later.
Thanks for the rendering/top view. Much appreciated.

And the Bird Dog scheme is pretty cool. If i was of a mind to go 'classic' that paint job would be a top runner.
Dec 10, 2015, 12:22 PM
Thread OP

Prop Time

My tinkering time has been limited of late. I finally got a job, after many months of going through the immigration process, so 'earning time' comes first.

In between shifts i've managed to get the prop painted up. It's a stock APC 10x7E painted with Krylon semi-gloss black and a few details. I'm very happy with the result, though i hand-painted the erosion strip and yellow highlights so maybe there are some slight ridges that wouldn't have been there if i had used spray paint.

The stock spinner got a coat of plastic primer with metallic silver over and the final effect should look really good.

I'm also painting up an APC 10x7SF prop in the same scheme just in case that shows promise. I prefer the shape of the 'E' prop but the 'SF' prop could be useful for towing (there's a Ka-8 in the hangar so.......).

On other areas, i've been trying to get my Dimension Engineering DELight lighting kit programmed. I'm not the most computer savvy person on the block and at first the DELink wouldn't communicate with my laptop. I tried a powered USB hub (touted as a first 'usual' cause) and then hit a brick wall.

Big shout out to Dimension Engineering for fixing the issue via their Technical help desk! They directed me to the COM port and drivers area and suggested downloading an additional Setup file i had missed which fixed the problem immediately, They also sent me a replacement red LED as the one in the kit was DOA. Great customer service!

So now i'm now playing with channel assignments, brightness and timers to get the right effect.

So here's the lighting plan:

Ch1 - Wing Tip strobes (white)
Ch2 - not sure yet
Ch3 - Tail strobe (yellow maybe?)
Ch4 - Beacon, rotating (red)
Ch5 - Port Landing light (white)
Ch6 - Stbd Landing light (white)
Ch7 - Port Wing Nav light (red)
Ch8 - Stbd Wing Nav light (red)

I'm experimenting with Aux1 levels for all the above, save the nav lights, for different modes of flight possibly with a Flap->Aux1 mix for landing lights.

<10% = All OFF
11 - 25% = Wing Nav ON
25% - 40% = Wing Nav ON, Wing strobes ON, Beacon ON, Tail strobe ON (low level, constant)
40% - 50% = all above plus Landing lights on (constant). *this would be triggered by the Flap switch at Take-off setting
50%> = all above plus Landing lights alternate Port/Stbd, Tail strobe flashes, Beacon strobes twice per revolution. * triggered by Flaps at Landing setting.

The BEC also has a switchable output and i'm debating whether to use that solely to supply the DELight kit with the Rx powered from the BEC always-on output, or whether to have the BEC supply the DELight kit 'always on' and have the switchable output for some other purpose such as fuselage illumination

Opt 1
Rx - Castle Creations ESC BEC
DELight - Mad Thrust BEC 'always on'
Fuse lighting - Mad Thrust BEC switchable

Opt 2
Rx - Mad Thrust BEC 'always on'
DELight - Mad Thrust BEC switchable

Time for a pondering.......

Quick Reply