Nov 19, 2015, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Need recommendation

I want to build a new airframe for my as3xtra guts.

I only have dollar tree foam, so I'm wondering if someone with some experience in DT foam weights what kind and size of plane I could make.

I'm just wanting to make something quick and dirty and that won't over stress the little motors anymore than the original model.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2015, 09:18 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offset
I want to build a new airframe for my as3xtra guts.

I only have dollar tree foam, so I'm wondering if someone with some experience in DT foam weights what kind and size of plane I could make.

I'm just wanting to make something quick and dirty and that won't over stress the little motors anymore than the original model.
Quickest and dirtiest airframe is probably a simple delta , just a triangle with a vertical fin and elevons in the rear . Could probably be made out of Dollar Tree foam board if you peeled the paper off and sanded the foam down to be thinner . You can put everything on top ( including the motor/prop on a pod ) , so when it lands only foam comes into contact with the ground . Make it so the flying weight is about the same as the as3xtra , and make the elevons aerodynamically balanced so the servo motors won't be over strained .
Nov 20, 2015, 02:55 PM
flyin' fool
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867083

I've build many different sizes, indoor, outdoor, with and without LG and rudder. They all flew great. The tractor setup rules the skies when it comes to aerobatics. Still one of my all time favorites.
Nov 21, 2015, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the input fellas, I liked the idea of a simple delta but I don't think the DT foam will to do well with the as3xtra guts for something like that, the dt foam is a tad over 4mm thick without the paper so I'm betting the weight won't be ideal.

Leaning on perhaps a umx radian mock-up - might just get some 2mm foam and remake the extra later on.
Nov 21, 2015, 05:22 PM
Flying RC Models for 60 years.
Offset check this out

Recycle Your Micro Plane - UMX Cheap N' Easy (5 min 20 sec)
Nov 21, 2015, 05:28 PM
Flying RC Models for 60 years.
There is also a RCG Forum on Scratch Built Micro Models!
Here https://www.rcgroups.com/scratchbuil...cro-models-85/
Nov 21, 2015, 06:45 PM
flyin' fool
Great design. Thanks for the vid.
Nov 21, 2015, 07:10 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offset
Thanks for the input fellas, I liked the idea of a simple delta but I don't think the DT foam will to do well with the as3xtra guts for something like that, the dt foam is a tad over 4mm thick without the paper so I'm betting the weight won't be ideal.

Leaning on perhaps a umx radian mock-up - might just get some 2mm foam and remake the extra later on.
Paperless DTF sands very well and easily .
Nov 22, 2015, 11:41 AM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883669
Here's another little sweetheart of a flier. Made of $tree foam,
Can be mild or as wild as you like. Flies on a rail type plane , so it will handle a bit of wind.

Gord.

Quick Reply