Nov 21, 2015, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litil
That video Mtz, suffers the same gello at the end of the video 1:13 left rocks.

Take a look.
It seems like the gyro firmware isn't perfectly calibrated to the lens when it is right at the edge of it's range. If you hold it reasonably steady then it normally works fine, if you shake it to near it's limits so that it is looking through the very edge of the lens then you can get some distortion near the corners where the lens has most fisheye distortion.

Hopefully GitUp can get a better calibration, it's not as simple to do as you might think though.

If you are hand holding the camera then it can make life for the gyro a lot easier if you mount the camera on something like a small selfie stick/monopod, it can make it nicer to use as well. I really like GitUp's GP54 Monopod with the Dashcam Frame mounted on top.

I'm also seeing some jitter in some of these videos, but that seems to be a result of converting from the 60fps recording to whatever fps YouTube decides to use for your particular internet connection.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2015, 04:58 PM
www.action4cameras.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by edblanch
I am looking for a high resolution camera to take still photos of potato fields while they are growing.

My understanding is that The Git2 will take 16MP stills is this correct and what is the best image file format to use ?

I also need to modify the camera removing the infra red blocking filter and replacing it with another filter. Can this be done ?

Finally I am looking at using an X-uav Mini Talon as my platform with an Ardupilot auto pilot is there a way to trigger the camera using the autopilot ?
We have a SJ4000 on sale for £12.00 new. No casing or extra just the camera and battery.
We can also supply you with a low-flat distortion lens 3.6mm for an extra £15

The SJ is 1080p 30fps or double fps60 as with all- non wifi version - currently has a Gopro 3 lens fitted.

info@action4cameras.com
Nov 21, 2015, 05:47 PM
Some photos taken today:

Full Size

Full Size
Nov 21, 2015, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action4Cameras
We have a SJ4000 on sale for £12.00 new. No casing or extra just the camera and battery.
We can also supply you with a low-flat distortion lens 3.6mm for an extra £15

The SJ is 1080p 30fps or double fps60 as with all- non wifi version - currently has a Gopro 3 lens fitted.

info@action4cameras.com

I don't think sj4000 meet the requirement. As he is looking for camera good at still photos.
Nov 21, 2015, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Take a look to this video. I don't like the ground effect, it seems there are problem with the Git2 lens :-(

http://youtu.be/y04gm8yXIh4
did you try it with stabiliaztion off?
Nov 22, 2015, 01:11 AM
Mtz
Mtz
Quote:
That video Mtz, suffers the same gello at the end of the video 1:13 left rocks.

Take a look.
Take a look at the soft sand and the curved tire tracks (screenshot attached to this post) and imagine how much effort was from me to not fall down from the bicycle because in that area the ground is not stable at all and the bike was moving left-right a lot. No gyro can do some human eye magic effect in these conditions.

If you want to see normal conditions expected by the camera gyro look at this, maybe is better:
GitUp Git2 Gyro cat view test 1080p 60fps (0 min 21 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_
I'm also seeing some jitter in some of these videos, but that seems to be a result of converting from the 60fps recording to whatever fps YouTube decides to use for your particular internet connection.
Both videos have original file download link in description so we can blame youtube or not.

Quote:
Hopefully GitUp can get a better calibration, it's not as simple to do as you might think though.
About gyro I am thinking in this way: the more reduced is the FOV when enabling the gyro, the more camera is able to stabilize very shaky images. With actual firmware, just looking at the FOV, I think the gyro is setup for hard image conditions.
Next week I will show you how good is gyro or not.

enjoy,
Mtz
Last edited by Mtz; Nov 22, 2015 at 01:17 AM.
Nov 22, 2015, 06:24 AM
Here in this video you can clearly see the jello effect of the stabilizer. I tried to hold the camera as steady as possible whilst moving in a fluid movement. Maybe lighting conditions did not help but i definately think the gyro calibration/algorithms need a bit of tweaking to get just right.

GitUp Git 2. 2k with Gyro Image Stabilization (0 min 54 sec)

Also here is a few snaps taken this morning.

A mixture of 16mp 4 x 3 and 12mp 16 x 9.

Vivid and non vivid. And a black and white. See if you can see the difference.
Nov 22, 2015, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz

About gyro I am thinking in this way: the more reduced is the FOV when enabling the gyro, the more camera is able to stabilize very shaky images. With actual firmware, just looking at the FOV, I think the gyro is setup for hard image conditions.
Next week I will show you how good is gyro or not.

enjoy,
Mtz
Totally right, if want to improve the IS, should reduce the FOV.
And it is not good in low light condition.

Also this can be improved in future by firmware, it is hard to get it perfect. If you check the SJCAM or Firefly firmware, you can see they update the Gyro feature in each new firmware.

And even for Sony Action camera, they wrote it clear on the website, the IS feature result can not be always good in different situation.
Nov 22, 2015, 11:16 AM
Mtz
Mtz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRCHEX
Here in this video you can clearly see the jello effect of the stabilizer.
That chess board floor is a image killer for any Gyro or software which does IS.
Please try to record again from the same location and in the same way but with gyro OFF. Then upload to youtube and let the YouTube to do the image stabilization. You can offer the original file download link.

enjoy,
Mtz
Nov 22, 2015, 11:26 AM

checkered floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz
That chess board floor is a image killer for any Gyro or software which does IS.
Please try to record again from the same location and in the same way but with gyro OFF. Then upload to youtube and let the YouTube to do the image stabilization. You can offer the original file download link.

enjoy,
Mtz
Yes i will do that, the video of the tree is from inside Belfast city hall, i will not be back there for a few more days, but when i am i will re record a similar scenario with STAB OFF. if i had of thought only at the time hi hi. have some more pictures of belfast to show yous. i also have another 1080 60fps video with agin GYRO STAB ON. you will see. it does make the edges look wierd and if i walk like a robot. i will upload ti youtube now. but i will do that again.
Nov 22, 2015, 11:39 AM

Git 2 camera function tests

These are images taken today of our Belfast's TITANIC BUILDING here just outside the city. a newly famous Landmark Building built on the ground where the Unsinkable ship was built. Of course we all know the story that it did in fact sink on its maiden voyage heading for New York...... Not so UN-SINKABLE.
Nov 22, 2015, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know of a polarizer that will fit directly on the GIT2?

I'd rather avoid adapters if possible but will use one if anyone has been successful with one. I really want to avoid tape or other work-arounds.
Nov 22, 2015, 01:17 PM
I think the IS is over compensating for every little knock it has or movement is senses. A little smoothing out to be done I think.

It seems to over compensate and then tries to correct itself. Now I am no camera expert but I do fly a hexacopter with a homemade 2 axis gyro using an 8bit alexmos board. It took me ages to get the PID settings anywhere near good on that for flight. So with that in mind I can only just try to understand what it it like trying to write a programme for a small camera.

I'm sure this will be an issue that is going to take a little time to sort out.

Non the less I still love this little camera. Been playing with it a lot around the house and whilst out and about etc that it is starting to drive my wife crazy he he.

This is another video from the other day at the market at Belfast City Hall. Again I was using the stabilizer. I should have tried with it off but at the time I never thought. Also the camera is in its waterproof housing.

GITUP GIT 2 CAMERA 1080 @ 60FPS GYRO STABILIZER "ON" (4 min 55 sec)
Nov 22, 2015, 03:02 PM
There's a whole lot of (over?)compensation going on, especially near the edges. Seems worse than other walking footage I've seen.
Nov 22, 2015, 03:31 PM
Hope that GitUp will get it fixed soon, if even with smaller FoV, thats a tribute most user would be willing to pay. The benefit on a smaller FoV would be less fisheye-distortion, but i´m in doubt that exactly this is what causes that "jello-like" behavior at the edges. Its the adding of frames with different viewing angles that makes the lines and contours "shaky".

IMHO a good wide angle view lens of 120° ... 140° with a reduced fisheye would be best base to start from to get a maximum on resolution, FoV and steady-shot in the same game. And i guess a lot of users would be willing to pay a little more it its needed to get the best solution on it.

I hate that videos with that big fish-eye effects and panning aroung like there´s no tomorrow, i feel like a mary go round, thats not the way of professionell videography. In some cases, its needed to have a wide FoV, but in these cases, i guess IS wouldnt be the main thing.

Quick Reply