Nov 19, 2015, 03:00 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Video

"X-29" Slope Soarer converted to EDF - Back in the air!

While on my flying trip I got hands on this rather unusual experimental model intended for slope soaring some 20 years ago by a fellow modeller. It was never completed, but hanging on the wall as an art work before I have confiscated it and decided to make it an EDF powered jet. Probably the worse ever design for a plane but I always like the challenge in this hobby so I got something new to play with.
Last edited by jofro; Sep 12, 2019 at 06:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2015, 07:54 AM
Team White Llama!
What's the wingspan and weight? What size fan are you thinking about running and how much power?

Room for retracts or bungee launch?
Nov 19, 2015, 09:34 AM
Suspended Account
There was a set of plans for the X-29 available from RCM. It was powered with a Byron Fan. I had a set I sold to some one on here, months ago. I still have a set that I used to build one model. I powered it with a Dynamax. It actually flew well as long as it was a bit nose heavy. If you balanced it where the plan said, it still flew good, unless you got to slow, then it got unstable. Be a great model today with a turbine or EDF and a 3 axis gyro.
Nov 20, 2015, 04:12 AM
jofro
Thread OP
This model was also built from some magazine plans, tho it's not scale only resemblance.
It is extremely light balsa/foam wing build as it was intended for slope soaring. It is just under 6 feet long and I'm well on my way using every imagination to re-design it for 70mm EDF. I have already removed the part of the rear fuselage with the rudder fin which will be re- done as V type twin rudder with more conventional elevator to be operated by two small servos. Before I took the canopy off I said to the previous owner where the CG will be just by looking at it, later confirmed by the marker inside the fuse. Mixing of front and rear elevators will be the biggest challenge plus thrust line of the power unit, all matter of trial and error. For my initial tests I fit simple fixed l/gear with the intension to dolly it at later stage if all bugs sorted out. Life's not meant to be easy, that's what Malcolm said back in '70s.
Nov 21, 2015, 02:32 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Sleek as an arrow.
Nov 23, 2015, 02:32 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Power unit mounting formers well anchored to the frame with initial 3 deg. thrust line. By the time I finish this will be the ugliest model in my fleet, that's for sure!
Nov 25, 2015, 03:16 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Coat of primer for easy spot of imperfections in the wood work.
Nov 26, 2015, 01:43 AM
EDF all the way!
Interesting!
Bob
Nov 29, 2015, 03:38 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Bit more progress on this build with all controls hooked up and some paint job to make it more colourful.
Nov 29, 2015, 09:25 AM
I like too this od design.

Good luck with maiden.
Nov 30, 2015, 03:30 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Next job is the landing gear.
Dec 01, 2015, 03:05 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Landing gear fitted, now it's a wait for the new EDF power unit and time to build 1/2 size replica to work out my controls, CG and CL.
Dec 02, 2015, 05:24 PM
jofro
Thread OP
0.75 size foam core mop up is on my way, fitting it out with identical controls and off to the nearby hills to do some slope soaring to work out all the bugs before my EDF conversion maiden.
Dec 03, 2015, 02:58 AM
jofro
Thread OP
At 500 grams AUW this should be a good glider to work out my controls less the power unit thrust.
Last edited by jofro; Dec 07, 2015 at 02:55 AM.
Dec 04, 2015, 03:33 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Ready for soaring.

Quick Reply