Super Buccaneer '88' R/C assist - RC Groups
Nov 17, 2015, 12:09 PM
Discussion

Super Buccaneer '88' R/C assist

I purchased these plans in 1981 from WE Technical Service. At the time it was a "Registered Plan Set" with a registration number hand written on one sheet. What I would like to find is what magazine it may have been published in and if there is a build article out there somewhere.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2015, 12:43 PM
TLAR Aviation
This probably won't help you much but FWIW...

Nov 17, 2015, 12:59 PM
Harry, thanks for taking the time to look for the article. Every little bit helps. I started working on it so long ago and I don't remember if there was a build article, but I though I would ask. There was nothing in with the set of plans.

Thank you, Jerry Frattini
Nov 17, 2015, 02:35 PM
I have one built from those plans. A great flying old time model. Not too much dihedal makes for nice flying model. Flown in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Florida over the years. Jack
Nov 17, 2015, 02:54 PM
Jack, yours looks great. It's going to be a while before I get started on mine, but with winter coming on it may be sooner than anticipated.
Nov 17, 2015, 03:52 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
The original was a 1937 Berkeley kit, so instructions must exist somewhere.
Shame the lucky possessors are probably not on these forums...
Nov 17, 2015, 04:13 PM
This one was redrawn by Bill Effinger for R/C assist. One of the changes he made was to put spoilers in the top wing to help bring it back down to earth if it got caught in a thermal.
Nov 17, 2015, 06:04 PM
I like thermals
Pardon the interjection, but in case anyone does not know, Bill Effinger designed the Super Buc and sold kits through his company, Berkeley circa 1936/37. The instructions were primarily on the plans in those days. Same Bill Effinger operated WE (for William Effinger) Technical Services later in life, so your plans are from the original designer. Several other companies have offered Super Buc full and partial kits over the years, including Ben Buckle and Bob Holman.
Jul 03, 2017, 07:15 PM
UC/RC Flyer

Benbuckle WE plans 88 inch with spoilers

This post is 2 years old, but I thought I would revise it. Yes I have started that 88 inch WE plans Buckineer. The landing gear is a challenge, but doable with the right equipement. K&S bender and Sig Wire. The fuselage is built and so is the tail assembly. I built the fuselage heavier that the plans. Just because I plan on a 60 OS 4 cycle, larger low pitch prop. Igniter, with Wing Spoilers. I installed the 8 oz tank but carb location was an issue, the motor mounts, were off set to the right, and had a spacer, to adjust down and right, the tail will also adjust for right torque. Am I on the right track with all these adjustments.
Jul 06, 2017, 02:06 AM
Sometime around 1980 Doc Mathews of Model Airplane News did plans for an RC Buccaneer. I built one and still have it. Doc over designed it, the fuse is made of spruce and plywood. The thing weighs 8 pounds!
Jul 06, 2017, 02:37 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTrains
Sometime around 1980 Doc Mathews of Model Airplane News did plans for an RC Buccaneer. I built one and still have it. Doc over designed it, the fuse is made of spruce and plywood. The thing weighs 8 pounds!
I agree about the overdesigning, but 8 lbs isn't excessive for an 84" span old timer. I bet it flies well!
Jul 07, 2017, 02:02 AM
What got me was adding an old railroad track nut (half a pound) to the nose for balance. That is a lot of dead weight.

I just got an old NIB OS FS70 4 stroke. I should stick that on it and fly it again.
Jul 07, 2017, 03:00 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Quote:
Sometime around 1980 Doc Mathews of Model Airplane News did plans for an RC Buccanee
January 1980

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=341

Ray
Jul 07, 2017, 08:53 PM
UC/RC Flyer
Okay, I kinda planned on the over size, due to my power plant,and my fuel tank location running my throttle on the right side, futaba servo, high tech control, serfaces haven't started the wing yet, but I have studied the WE plans, trying to decide,I am using lots if gussets on the fuselage, from some of your posts weight and balance is a real factor, I weighted my fuselage, right now just frame weights 6.2 oz. and it's far from completed,haven't even got to the planking on the forward fuselage section. your guess is as good as mine, for the end result. My radio DX-6 with a 6600 reciever LIFI reciever battery, sounds like a front and rear weight box would be in order, I am new to this Spectrum 2.4 go radio,but the manufacturer warns against charging that LIFI battery in the aircraft, so a service hatch for the LIFI battery is required. That should be a piece of cake, plan to cover in silk, and dope, I usually assemble the entire model. And do a weight and balance, before I cover. Any other suggestions? Thank you for the replays.
Jul 07, 2017, 09:14 PM
UC/RC Flyer
Oh forgot to mention no serial number on my plans, got them at a flee market in New Jersey, about 20 years ago, and bought a wood short kit from another modeler in the buzzards 10 years ago, for the 88 Buckineer, it had stamped wood and lots of temples, he claimed it was all cut out and ready to go, (not the case) lots of parts missing, laid all the parts out on a 4x8 piece of ply wood, a real tight fit!!!, 5 plan sheets,really good plans measuring is about right, looks like the datum is at the wing leading edge, you guys that have them, and fly them, is the nose a little down when balanced? Like on my Ben buckle Quaker!