Nov 17, 2015, 04:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

The updated TOWER app has video feed support (yay) how to take advantage of it?

Tower app is used to talk wiht pixhawks via telemetry.
The latest update has video widget on the screen which is great.
After short googling seems it's meant for the gopro video stream from their SOLO drone.
However, being 3dr product wiht their openness and all, there should be a way to use that for a stream from our DIY drones, no?
perfect will be if it can capture the stream from those easyCAP dongles but I guess that is too hopeful on my part?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2015, 06:06 PM
FA3PR9WM79
I've been playing with this for the last hour, and this is for streaming from a GoPro that is connected to a Solo.

So much for openness....
Nov 17, 2015, 06:36 PM
You can setup Tower to stream from a standard UDP port. Tower uses gstreamer in background, so any stream compatible with gstreamer (and VLC) should work.

But in order to achieve long range you'll need a wifi enabled camera onboard (not a good idea if your TX is 2.4Ghz) and maybe a range extender.
Nov 18, 2015, 04:21 AM
Thread OP
Hey, doritos, can it be made to capture from those ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Sale-Eas...oAAOSw-vlVn6PZ
that's to make it compatible with any FPV cam

and other option for close range would be if it can catch the stream from any wifi cam? any pointers?
Nov 18, 2015, 06:17 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Personally, I don't see the usefulness or the practicality of having video streaming over WiFi.

Compared to a "live" transmission via a standard FPV transmitter, WiFi has way too much latency and as was previously pointed out, to get any kind of useful range you need a booster.
Nov 18, 2015, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPancake View Post
Hey, doritos, can it be made to capture from those ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Sale-Eas...oAAOSw-vlVn6PZ
that's to make it compatible with any FPV cam

and other option for close range would be if it can catch the stream from any wifi cam? any pointers?
You'll need something to encode and transmit over Wifi. The BeagleBone board can do, but it will be big, heavy and expensive.

A cheaper solution would be a Network Video Server plus a WiFi Access Point, but again, you'll have a lot of stuff to get a laggy SD (D1) video stream, dont think it worth
Nov 18, 2015, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
the turnigy action cam (sj4000) does wifi, but the question is how to feed it to the tower app?
Nov 18, 2015, 12:53 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
the turnigy action cam (sj4000) does wifi, but the question is how to feed it to the tower app?
Dude, it ain't worth the effort. I have an action cam with WiFi, and the delay is gawd awful.
Nov 19, 2015, 05:00 AM
Thread OP
Dude it's ok for drone selfies, that sh*t is hot right now
Nov 19, 2015, 08:46 AM
I void warranties
We're working on making this more useful over at DIY Drones right now. The end goal is easy integration of long range telemetry / video over LTE.

The video feed into MP / any other GCS has never been for flying by, it's there to keep an eye on AP controlled missions. You still need a RT FPV video downlink of your choice...
Nov 19, 2015, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
We're working on making this more useful over at DIY Drones right now. The end goal is easy integration of long range telemetry / video over LTE.

The video feed into MP / any other GCS has never been for flying by, it's there to keep an eye on AP controlled missions. You still need a RT FPV video downlink of your choice...
yahoooo! Any rough ETA on the video over LTE widget magic?
Nov 19, 2015, 10:29 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Dude it's ok for drone selfies, that sh*t is hot right now
I've got more important stuff to do than take pictures so I can show the world how vain, self centered and shallow I am...

Besides that, streaming video over either WiFi or LTE (whoopty-freakin'-do...) does not bring anything of value to the party, so why waste time and code space on it in the first place?
Nov 20, 2015, 04:49 AM
Thread OP
That was kind of a joke. (about the selfies)

However, I'm sorry you don't see the value in it. We already had conversation about it. Please consider for a second that your point of view about it might not be absolute.

There is ton of examples of people not seeing value in something new, only to be proven very wrong later.
Nov 20, 2015, 07:04 AM
FA3PR9WM79
My response was an indirect jab at POTUS, and there are tons of examples of "cool ideas" that turned out to be worthless.

Still, I just don't get what the attraction with streaming video over WiFi is, particularly when a far superior method is already available.
Nov 20, 2015, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer View Post
My response was an indirect jab at POTUS, and there are tons of examples of "cool ideas" that turned out to be worthless.

Still, I just don't get what the attraction with streaming video over WiFi is, particularly when a far superior method is already available.
You call analog video streaming superior to digital video streaming? Ok I'm out.

Quick Reply