May 16, 2018, 01:23 PM

Out of focus

scotth and Zakster,

thanks for the input! But I'm not sure I really want to spend time on fixing that. I've done my share of re-focussing 808 #16s, so this one is probably going to be sold off.

So my experience with the RC2 is that it produces less sharp images than the RC, despite being more expensive, bigger, and heavier
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2018, 03:01 PM
Thanks for helping me with refocusing my runcam. What I find out after recording many clips with lens in different position is that turning lens clockwise 2 or 3 mm works the best for me. Foxeer legend 2 still gives better picture. Sharper and more detailed. But they both are in the same price range.
May 17, 2018, 01:27 AM
The crazy Swede.....
My new RunCam2 hangs after 2-3 seconds then i accessing it over WiFi with the Phone App, kind of hard to change settings in the Camera at the moment!!

FirmWare is upgraded to the v2.3

This is my second RunCam2 due to the first one died due to battery failure

what to do?
May 18, 2018, 07:29 PM
💩
I use a Runcam2 to record video from my planes.

It records in mov format.

Does anyone know of an Android video editor that can edit mov files?
May 19, 2018, 04:26 PM
As I got my camera perfectly focused there came another problem. I smashed my lens and I can't find replacement. There is only lens with sensor module but my sensor is fine. Do you know which lenses fit runcam 2?
May 19, 2018, 05:56 PM
FPV really is fun.
You have to buy both if you want the exact same look. You can put a Runcam rc25 lens on it (split lens), but the purple fringing is pretty bad, especially in the lens flares. Fov is wider too. I have not found the exact RC2 lens anywhere that is not attached to the sensor unit.
May 20, 2018, 03:16 AM
I don't really care about exactly the same fov. Can you post a video? I don't know what you mean by purple fringing. Maybe you've bought ir sensitive lens.

Is it possible to put lens protection with rc25g lens?
May 20, 2018, 10:06 AM
FPV really is fun.
This is a Runcam2 with the RC25 lens.

Wraith fun Raw (7 min 14 sec)
May 20, 2018, 10:17 AM
Looks perfect for me. This flares have weird color certainly. But I like amount of this dots. Looks cinematic Just a little.
May 23, 2018, 11:18 PM

Recording with USB power

Hi, I have a quick question. I want to do a long (6 hour) time lapse video tomorrow and have an external USB power source. The Runcam2 manual mentions taking out the internal battery when doing this. But I find that the camera will not record with the internal battery removed. Is it harmful to leave the battery in while recording with USB power? Sorry if this has been answered, but I looked and didn't get a clear answer. Great camera, by the way:
Beaver and Sunset May 11 2018 (3 min 53 sec)

Plane camera was a Runcam2, there is a little time lapse video at the end.
-Chris
May 24, 2018, 12:45 PM
Perhaps I should explain the above post a bit more: If I plug a generic USB charger into the camera with no internal battery in it, the power button glows red just like when the battery is charging. If I short or long press this, or any button, nothing happens other than the red light stays on. I think perhaps I need to power the camera with the supplied USB cord that has small video and power connectors on it. I'll need to make an adapter to plug into this power connector.

I have the camera running right now with a generic USB power bank with the internal battery in the camera, and it seems to be working fine. I hope I'm not ruining the battery.
Thanks,
-Chris
May 24, 2018, 03:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
Probably not a great idea. Sorry to say, but the main reason they say not to use it as a dash cam or have the battery inside when plugged into USB is due to the possible damages that can occur. Because the battery will get hot, which in and of its self is damaging to a lithium based battery. Not to mention the battery may swell and/or damage the camera. It can also present a fire hazard because of the overheating of a lithium based battery. A few minutes probably wouldn't be any big deal. But 6 hours, I wouldn't try it myself. If you do, just be aware of these possibilities.

Have you tried different USB sources? Your power bank might not have the juice to kick the runcam on. I don't know, just a thought. I wouldn't rule out some kind of glitch with the Runcam either. But I would try a few other sources just to be sure.
May 24, 2018, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk
Probably not a great idea. Sorry to say, but the main reason they say not to use it as a dash cam or have the battery inside when plugged into USB is due to the possible damages that can occur. Because the battery will get hot, which in and of its self is damaging to a lithium based battery. Not to mention the battery may swell and/or damage the camera. It can also present a fire hazard because of the overheating of a lithium based battery. A few minutes probably wouldn't be any big deal. But 6 hours, I wouldn't try it myself. If you do, just be aware of these possibilities.

Have you tried different USB sources? Your power bank might not have the juice to kick the runcam on. I don't know, just a thought. I wouldn't rule out some kind of glitch with the Runcam either. But I would try a few other sources just to be sure.
Good call! I tried the other output of my power bank, and it works fine. Boy, do I feel like a noob! Thanks for taking the time to post that.
-Chris
Jun 02, 2018, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been fighting with new runcam 2 for more than a week and several flights...

The problem is that I use it at higher altitudes and in cold weather (-5 -30 C) and for recording long time flights (2h - 2 h:30 minutes).

Before I had runcam 1, I took out the internal battery, mounted it near the wing root in parallel with another 900 mah 1 S battery and that gave me up to 3 hours of recording time. For cold weather I had to to connect another 900 mah battery which had to be in the fuselage where it was heated by the main flight batteries. This allowed me to operate it down to 30 C outside temperature. It was ok, but there was a total of more than 50 gram Lipos dedicated to the runcam. Sadly, by error I plugged 3 S parallel to the two other 1 S batteries... guess what, runcam 1 went up in smoke...

So with the new Runcam 2 I decided to do some mods, all of which failed:

1. I left the internal (original) Lipo of Runcam connected as with the old Runcam, but in addition I connected the camera through the black USB connector to 5 V which came from a dedicated 3A UBEC... (total weight was 15 g Lipo + 15 g UBEC). It worked untill it got cold (-5 C) and the recording of the camera cut out after about 30 minutes, despite being fed through the USB port. When I landed the camera was off.

2. Second, I cut out the Lipo battery completely. I assumed that the voltage of the internal Lipo droped somehow and Runcam decided it was too low and quit during the previous test. Now I left only the 5 V connector, and tried to run the test in home freezer. The camera recorded for 1 hour 30 minutes, at - 18 C... without quitting. So far so good.

Then I did a 2 hour flight. The recording of the camera cut out after 40 minutes and the temperature was not even very cold at that moment (around 0 C). That really p...d me off. However, the camera, after I landed, seemed to be in the recording mode (the yellow light was still flashing).

I really do not know what is going on and how to try and find the fault. The last file was about 450 KB and I was not able to open it.

Now I began to suspect the memory card (Maxell 32 GB Class 10 "yellow" card), but I am really not sure.

Any input would be very appreciated.
Last edited by chileflora; Jun 02, 2018 at 10:29 PM.
Jun 02, 2018, 08:57 PM
How about a ground test in your freezer and at room temperature for 2 hours each with the lipo battery out connected to good usb power. I don't think I trust lipo batteries near freezing unless they are on a good load to keep them warm.

I'm more curious about your flight setup for these 2.5 hour flights.

Quick Reply