Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 15, 2017, 09:26 AM
Bugger! I went flying the other day and something (pilot error) went wrong...
70kph from 130meters up straight into the ground.
1 FX-79 destroyed but almost all electrics are ok...

Even the RC2 mounted right in the nose powers up fine.... however...
The 1KG 10, 000mah 4S Li-Po drove itself through the nose pushing the micro-USB into the back of the camera and then ejecting it...

The damage to the camera in the lens shield, the USB socket looks un-usable and I think it's a rectifier just behind the socket is partially off it's pads.

There's no chance my soldering skills are up to fixing that! :-/
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2017, 06:38 PM
FPV really is fun.
Does anyone know the specs of the lens itself? I am tired of replacing the entire module when I scratch a lens. The lens is so easy to remove from the sensor itself, it is silly to keep spending $40 on a whole unit.
I have a Runcam 2.5mm lens in there now, but it is so wide that I have to set the camera to narrow view to get rid of the lens shade being in view. I will be getting video tomorrow morning to see how its stacks up to the stock lens.
Jun 17, 2017, 03:05 AM
I've tried a few different lenses for same reasons but the quality of the original is actually quite good I found. I also tried the "180 degr" lenses offered on ebay, (not really 180 degr but close angle to the original) they were OK, but not as good as the runcams.

I was going to post a link to this awesome 'tuff stuff' I use to protect my lens (both Gopro and Runcam) but I think they are out of business? Website seems gone.
A real shame because their product was awesome and cheap, I actually never scratched a lens again so didn't even have to replace the protection film. AND it was crystal clear.

http://mytuffstuff.com/
Jun 17, 2017, 03:52 AM
There are various gopro compatible replacement lenses that should also do the trick for the runcam.
Jun 18, 2017, 02:13 AM
Earlier today with my Runcam 2...

Dallas Doll sortie 6-17-17 (3 min 47 sec)
Jun 19, 2017, 02:15 PM
Flown with the Swift 2 and RunCam 2 for HD,
In the shadow of Denali (3 min 40 sec)
Jun 19, 2017, 02:49 PM
Doing my first flights with my quad and trying to find optimal settings for RC2. Has began with center metering and exposure 0 ... -0.3. But don't like its annoying change in brightness caused by moving horizon slightly up or down from the middle line of the frame.

Then have tried spot metering and was surprised its behaviour. Actually it relies not on a spot in frame's center as I expected but on a zone in its buttom (where normally camera sees only ground without sky). Here is my test:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1a...ew?usp=sharing

So I used spot metering with -2.0 exposure and got more appropriate result. The only drawback of this settings is strong frame darkening during flips and rolls.
Jun 19, 2017, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladG
Doing my first flights with my quad and trying to find optimal settings for RC2. Has began with center metering and exposure 0 ... -0.3. But don't like its annoying change in brightness caused by moving horizon slightly up or down from the middle line of the frame.

Then have tried spot metering and was surprised its behaviour. Actually it relies not on a spot in frame's center as I expected but on a zone in its buttom (where normally camera sees only ground without sky). Here is my test:

So I used spot metering with -2.0 exposure and got more appropriate result. The only drawback of this settings is strong frame darkening during flips and rolls.
I have been trying to get Runcam to add a WDR algorithm to the firmware for a while. That's a good example of how bad this camera's handles differences is light conditions. Surely they can fix the issue without too much trouble!
Jun 21, 2017, 10:15 AM
I'm having trouble too flying off the Runcam at sunset. My plane only has room for one camera, and the runcam should be fine. However, when flying into the sun, the ground goes black of course. If it could meter based on the ground that would be awesome.

Goblin's First Flight at Foothills Park (13 min 26 sec)
Jun 21, 2017, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriedman
I'm having trouble too flying off the Runcam at sunset. My plane only has room for one camera, and the runcam should be fine. However, when flying into the sun, the ground goes black of course. If it could meter based on the ground that would be awesome.

https://youtu.be/2q2LVc4w8R8
In my experience anytime you fly into the sun this camera is not going to adjust quickly to ground level this is a inexpensive camera.
However I've have flown my camera several times and have left it on default from day one automatic I guess and I don't have that trouble .
something as simple as don't fly at Sunset fly during the day I noticed when you turn out of the Sun you can see the ground that is in the shadows just fine something to think about.
Looks like a nice place to fly.

DanT
Jun 22, 2017, 03:25 AM
Quote:

Try Spot metering with -2.0 exposure. In that mode RS2 meters based on bottom part of frame.
Jun 22, 2017, 04:04 AM
Quote:

Is your 'metering mode' set to 'average' ?

You could also try to turn the exposure up a bit. I respectfully disagree with Vlad, turning it down would even make it darker.

Like DanT said, it will never perform as a expensive camera, but it's best at day time. I noticed when you fly down that hill, the sky and ground are OK in lighting. It's just when you fly into the sun.
Jun 22, 2017, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1

You could also try to turn the exposure up a bit. I respectfully disagree with Vlad, turning it down would even make it darker.

Like DanT said, it will never perform as a expensive camera, but it's best at day time. I noticed when you fly down that hill, the sky and ground are OK in lighting. It's just when you fly into the sun.
It more frustrates me that Runcam has integrated WDR into the RC3 and Split. So it could also be done with the RC2. It would just be a firmware upgrade. But it would appear this is not a priority for them. Even though the RC2 is still far more suited to FPV planes, than the other two are.
I wish other people on this thread would see the scope of possibility with the RC2 and email Runcam as well, about getting this done.
Jun 22, 2017, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1

Here is one of my first flights with spot metering mode and -2.0 exposure:

Jun 22, 2017, 07:46 AM
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox
It more frustrates me that Runcam has integrated WDR into the RC3 and Split. So it could also be done with the RC2. It would just be a firmware upgrade. But it would appear this is not a priority for them. Even though the RC2 is still far more suited to FPV planes, than the other two are.
I wish other people on this thread would see the scope of possibility with the RC2 and email Runcam as well, about getting this done.
Frustrating as it may be, I don't think it is as simple as a software upgrade. There is most likely hardware that has changed in the new devices they are selling.

I believe they said something to the effect that the runcam 2 does not have the necessary hardware for WDR.