Thread Tools
Nov 16, 2015, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum DX9: garbage on SD card after exporting models


Anyone else experience this? I tried to export all models to the SD card to back up on the computer and the DX9 saved 600Mb+ of absolute garbage on the card. The SD card is fine and works perfectly in my DX8. The also perfectly working SD card from the DX8 did the same thing in the DX9. The DX9 is running the latest firmware (v1.09). I formatted the card and properly ejected it from the computer every time. I tried all of this several times and still got garbage saved to the card. The only thing that appears to work was re-doing the v1.09 update and leaving the SPMTX firmware file on the card. Models will export properly with that file present. If I delete it, it's back to saving garbage on the card. Weird.

Also, yes, it's an aftermarket Sandisk card, not the junk Spektrum includes with their radios.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2015, 11:08 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
No, and I probably import and export more than anybody else (except maybe freechip)

What you can do is use the formatter that is linked in the How To PDF that you downloaded when you got the update. Then try the export again.

Andy
Nov 17, 2015, 01:02 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
No, and I probably import and export more than anybody else (except maybe freechip)

What you can do is use the formatter that is linked in the How To PDF that you downloaded when you got the update. Then try the export again.

Andy
I didn't see any .pdf file regarding "formatter", nor was it downloaded with the update, but I'll check it out. This is the first time it's happened in two years of using my DX9 and even longer with my DX8.
Nov 17, 2015, 01:08 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Okay, I see it now. It's really buried in there. I've never ever seen this mentioned before from Spektrum. It should be more prominent.
Nov 17, 2015, 01:23 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
And... It didn't work. Tried all three formatting options in that formatter program. Re-formatted the card the regular way on the computer and copied the SPMTX.SAX file back on the card with it renamed to SPMTX109.SAX so it wouldn't auto-update and the next export of all models worked perfectly. Apparently, the file just has to be there for some reason.
Nov 17, 2015, 01:47 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Never keep any update file on my card and often do Export/ALL and never had any issues before.

Have you properly formatted, downloaded and re-installed the latest Update?
Don't have transmitter with me right now to check...
Nov 17, 2015, 02:03 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasork
... copied the SPMTX.SAX file back on the card with it renamed to SPMTX109.SAX so it wouldn't auto-update and the next export of all models worked perfectly. Apparently, the file just has to be there for some reason.
No, there is no need for any file to be on the card. There's not even a need for the card to be installed. It's completely optional unless you want to actually do something with it.

Andy
Nov 17, 2015, 02:04 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasork
Okay, I see it now. It's really buried in there. I've never ever seen this mentioned before from Spektrum. It should be more prominent.
Yeah, the branded color choices aren't the best. The web team is actually making changes right now, as things are moving forward, so don't be surprised if colors or prompts change over the next few weeks.

Andy
Nov 17, 2015, 04:35 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Have you properly formatted, downloaded and re-installed the latest Update?
Per the info that was already posted in this, yes on all accounts. As I said, I even tried Andy's recommended SD formatting program multiple times and it didn't work. The SD card is fine in other devices, including a DX8, so we don't have to cover that again, too.
Nov 17, 2015, 04:37 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
No, there is no need for any file to be on the card. There's not even a need for the card to be installed. It's completely optional unless you want to actually do something with it.

Andy
I'm not talking about the radio working with or without the card. Of course it's not needed for regular operation. I'm talking about exporting model memories. Card's kinda required for that operation. And, in my case, YES, that file needs to be on the card for models to export properly without filling the card up with 600+Mb of utter gibberish.
Nov 17, 2015, 05:25 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Haven't check my DX9 yet but since my 18 was out I tried it.

256mb Spektrum card with nothing on it, exported all 27models and card contains 27spm files.

Will report soon on DX9
Nov 17, 2015, 06:16 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Haven't check my DX9 yet but since my 18 was out I tried it.

256mb Spektrum card with nothing on it, exported all 27models and card contains 27spm files.

Will report soon on DX9
Okay, thanks. I'm sure yours will work amazingly fine, of course. Just be sure you're running the latest firmware update V1.09.
Dec 20, 2015, 09:29 PM
ION Pumper Since 2014
Andy,

I recently got a DX9 (really nice!), and upgraded it to 1.09. I put all my spm files from my DX6 on the card and stuck it into the DX9 and imported everything - worked awesome and all the settings were there and worked flawlessly. One happy camper. So today I made some changes and exported a model, tells me exits (sure it does I imported it from the card to begin with), so I keep going and say yes to export the second time. I then take the card out to back the files up to the PC, but when I look at it, the files all have the same 1/1/2009 date and same time and there are a whole duplicate set of files with a 1/1/2006 date. I guess instead of overwriting them it made new ones, but that is definitely confusing - hard to tell which are the latest too. What date is the system using and can that be set somewhere?

Thanks for all you do!
Dec 20, 2015, 09:43 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulseFlyer
Andy,

I recently got a DX9 (really nice!), and upgraded it to 1.09. I put all my spm files from my DX6 on the card and stuck it into the DX9 and imported everything - worked awesome and all the settings were there and worked flawlessly. One happy camper. So today I made some changes and exported a model, tells me exits (sure it does I imported it from the card to begin with), so I keep going and say yes to export the second time. I then take the card out to back the files up to the PC, but when I look at it, the files all have the same 1/1/2009 date and same time and there are a whole duplicate set of files with a 1/1/2006 date. I guess instead of overwriting them it made new ones, but that is definitely confusing - hard to tell which are the latest too. What date is the system using and can that be set somewhere?

Thanks for all you do!
The Txs dont have a realtime clock that would allow it to attach an actual date/time. Yes if you Export a file twice it will create 2 identical files.
The way to keep them all sorted is to create Folders on the card with your PC. I keep older/backup files in various Folders. The ones Im recently working with I allow to stay in the root. Then when I put the card in a PC
I can rename and/or move to the appropriate folder so I can keep track.
Dec 20, 2015, 09:58 PM
ION Pumper Since 2014
Hey Aerocal,

Thanks! I think that in an earlier post Andy mentioned that the tx doesn't even look at the card unless you want it to (or perhaps maybe during a boot with a new .sax file). So I could probably just copy all the files to the PC and clear out the card and then re-export everything... I don't recall the DX6 creating a duplicate file when I exported an existing model however. Maybe I'm just dreaming....


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools