Nov 16, 2015, 04:34 PM
Allan
Thread OP
Discussion

Great Planes Big Stik 60 ARF Crash

I was flying my Great Planes Big Stik 60 this Sunday, just cruising around, not doing any violent maneuvers. Suddenly, the wing separated from the fuselage. It was a sight to behold! The wing gently fluttered down and suffered very little damage. The fuselage became a lawn dart and was pretty much destroyed. Failure analysis showed that the nylon wing bolts that came with the ARF sheared off at the bolt heads. I will post a couple of photographs of the wing bolts, if I can figure out how to do that.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2015, 08:45 AM
AKA Sir crash-alot
Sorry to hear about your crash. Reminds me my Phil Kraft Ugly Stick .
I was in a hurry to fly it and did not put enough rubber bands on the wing. The result was the same the wing only had a hole in the covering .

So the next kit I built had wing bolts!
Nov 17, 2015, 09:09 AM
Kamikaze Ace
Hmm, I've had a couple do that, wing lightly dropping down doing a lovely imitation of a Maple seed. Meanwhile the fuselage does it's own interpretation. That of a Kamikaze pilot.

Wonder, if there was enough room in the fuselage if you couldn't rig up a parachute, one that was deployed by the wing pulling off? Wing comes off, pull out the parachute, and both the wing and fuselage lightly glide to Earth.
Nov 17, 2015, 12:36 PM
Allan
Thread OP

Here is a Photo

Photo of the wing bolts with heads sheared off.
Nov 17, 2015, 10:07 PM
Sorry about the loss. I never seen nylon wing bolts break at the head. It's also odd that they both broke.
Nov 19, 2015, 04:24 PM
Allan
Thread OP
I will use metal wing bolts on the rebuild!
Nov 19, 2015, 06:04 PM
Kamikaze Ace
I've seen them break at the head, could be something as simple as over torque, when tightening them down. Stretches the plastic, weakens it, and soon as some serious force is applied to it, the head pops off. And the wing soon follows.
Nov 20, 2015, 04:26 PM
Glacier Girls got it over torque. Remember the nylon bolts don't have that much stress on them. Snug and just a touch more
Nov 20, 2015, 09:08 PM
Nylon loses moisture to the atmosphere. As Nylon dries out it becomes more brittle. To keep them from drying out and getting brittle, throw them in boiling water for 10-15 minutes. Do this 2 or 3 times a year.
Nov 22, 2015, 08:28 AM
I think Pledge brand spray will 'reconstitute' nylon. Put parts in a plastic bag then spray Pledge to coat parts then seal bag. Let sit a few days or do this for storage.
I boiled nylon props before use back in the day!

Quick Reply