Nov 16, 2015, 12:59 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine H8C small geared Quadcopter, with built-in camera (finished)

Recently, we've seen a few small camera quads appearing. This Eachine H8C is one of these, and considering some of the latest Eachine models have become my favorite flyers (H8 Mini, H8 3D) it seemed like a nice quad to have a closer look at. Banggood offered me the opportunity to check it out, so here are my findings:

For easy reference, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Flying Performance (posting #1)
4: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
5: Camera Performance (posting #2)
6: Hints, Tips & Modifications (posting #3)

1 - Specifications:

First a picture:

and a link: http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-H8C-...p-1008944.html

Specs, according to Banggood website:

Description:

Brand Name: Eachine
Item Name: 2.4G 6 Axis RC Quadcopter
Item NO.: H8C
Frequency: 2.4G
Gyro: 6 axis
Color: White,Black
Control Distance: About 100m
Charger Time: About 40mins
Flight Time: 6-8mins
Battery: 3.7V 250mAh(included)
Remote Control: 4 x AA battery (not included)
Quadcopter Size:18cm*18cm*5.5cm
Certification: FCCROHSEMCEN71EN62115EN60825HR40406PASTMF963

Features:

With 2.0MP Built-in Camera.(2GB memory card and card reader not included)
With Headless Mode,no need to adjust the position of aircraft before flying .
One key to return function makes it easily to find the way home.
The 6-axis system allows the quad to be hand launched
6-Axis gyro quad-rotorcraft flight, strong stability,can easily implement various flight movements, stronger wind resistance, easier to control
2.4G technology adopted for anti-interference.even more than one quadcopter is flying at the same time they will not interfere with each other
The quadcopter can fly both indoor and outdoor.Including 4CH digital proportional RC system.
Lightweight airframe with nice durability
It can realize 3D tumbling in four directions with 4 LED lights.
Remote controller has the indicator light, low voltage alarm function.
Battery protection
Function:up/down, left/right sideward fight, forward/backward, turn left/right, rolling 360, Headless Mode, One key to return

Package included:

1 x Eachine H8C Mini RC Quadcopter (with camera)
1 x Transmitter
1 x Battery
1 x USB charging cable
2 x Replacement Props
1 x Screwdriver
1 x Manual

Btw, it seems like this quad is also released under the Shengkai brand, as the D10. Quad looks identical, even down to the transmitter, except it doesn't come with a camere, just a dummy lens opening:

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopte...pp_266109.html

2 - Unboxing:

My H8C arrived in an all-white box, with nothing but a sticker with the SKU number on it.

Might be the boxart wasn't ready yet, as apart from the missing graphics, the packaging looked well finished, and it does have a convenient handle to carry the box.

Inside the strong box (arrived with no dents or crushed parts) we find a white plastic inlay, with the quad, transmitter, manual, and a little bag. This bag contains the spare props (only 2...), a screwdriver, and the USB charger.

As you can see, the transmitter has a lot of buttons, which sadly are not labeled. Good thing that there is a reference picture available on the BG site:

The quad itself looks nice, I like the colors, these work well together IMHO:

The battery is fixed, but still has a wire to plug into the the board:

Good thing, is that there is clearly room for bigger batteries. On the downside, you'd have to replace the double side tape with velcro if you want to swap batteries more easily.

The battery hatch is protected with a removable cover, that just snaps into place:

At the bottom of the quad we find the landing struts, that are attached with screws, the on/off switch, the slot for the SD card (for the camera), as well as the charge socket:

And with the battery cover installed again, it looks ready for some action:

Time to charge the batteries, and get it up in the air, where it belongs... This does pose a challenge, the charge connector is positioned so close to the landing strut mounts, that the connector doesn't go in straight:

It can charge, but it's clearly not the ideal situation. Might be best solved by shaving a bit from the side of the connector, or maybe make the battery easily removable, and using Walkera plugs. We'll get back to this at a later time, no doubt.

3 - Flying Performance:

Before putting this one to the test, there was a question that needed to be answered. Another member wondered if this one would be compatible with the BayangToys transmitters. A quick binding test showed that it does. So no new "yet another protocol", but already supported by Devention TX alternate firmware.

In the air the quad is more noisy than a direct drive setup, but it's not a very bad sounding noise. As it was pretty breezy outside, I switched to high rates right away, to give the quad more of a (wind) fighting chance. Despite still having prop guards and landing skids on, it could move around quite well. Pitch and yaw were not setting a new record, but it feels nice when flying circuits, and it's more sporty then you would expect from a camera quad.

The second flight was at nightfall, so a good chance to test the visibility of the leds. Well, that's excellent. Leds light up the body, and it's easy to see what's the front or the back. Much like a bigger JJ1000, which is a pretty good night flyer, the H8C is even more visible.

Update 18 november 2015

Did some more flying, overal it feels quite smooth, despite the small gears. It doesn't have a lot of climbing power though. Might be the battery, but the motors also aren't that big, just 6 mm diameter. I'll try to lighten it up, skids are easily removed. Prop guards are screwed on, but also act to hold the frame halves together. So I either need to cut these off, or find some thin washers, to put under the screws. Or maybe remove the camera, as it has little added value, due to the disappointing image quality.

4 - Preliminary Verdict:

The first camera tests may not be too impressive, but the H8C flies well. Very suitable for night flying, and since it uses the BayangToys protocol, there are plenty of options to use a different transmitter.

Pros:

- Very good for night flying, leds light up the body beautifully
- Uses a well established protocol, compatible with BayangToys transmitters, also DeviationTX compatible
- Nice balance between pitch and yaw
- Can handle a breeze
- Very clean looks, no exposed battery wire, fresh looking color scheme
- Strong cardboard box, can be re-used to store and transport the quad

Cons:

- Gears make it more noisy than a direct drive setup
- Only 2 spare props
- No memory card for camera included
- Image quality could be better
- Needs more power
- Range could be better
Last edited by SoloProFan; May 18, 2016 at 05:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2015, 12:59 PM
Thread OP

5 - Camera Performance

The small camera is built-in, and has a fixed angle. When there is no SD card inserted, a green and red led will flash in succession. With a card inserted, the green led will be lit steadily. To take a picture, a short press the top on the left plus-shaped button is needed. The red led will flash shortly.

To start recording video, a longer press of the same button is needed. The red led on the quad will flash while it records. To stop, again pressing the plus button will do.

Here's a picture taken while holding the quad, so not while it's flying:

Seems like the center is in focus, and near the edges the image is more blurry.

Update 18 nov 2015

Did some more camera testing, but either I got a faulty one, or this camera just isn't that good. Even with more light, the images look blurry with only the center more or less sharp. Same goes for video, even when holding the quad while filming, as to eliminate motor vibrations. Speaking of that, the image quality while flying, is about the same, little to no yello. But while flying, most of what you see, is ground. The camera angle is too far down. When you hover in front of yourself, at eyelevel, all you see are your shoes, and part of ypu trousers. Seems like the designers intended it to only film from up high, very high...
Last edited by SoloProFan; May 18, 2016 at 05:52 AM.
Nov 16, 2015, 08:03 PM
I ordered one of these earlier today, looking forward to testing it out when it gets here. Also waiting on your camera testing. One quick question, does it work with the original H8 mini controller (and the Bangtoys X9 as well).
Nov 17, 2015, 12:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuflie
I ordered one of these earlier today, looking forward to testing it out when it gets here. Also waiting on your camera testing. One quick question, does it work with the original H8 mini controller (and the Bangtoys X9 as well).

I'll check it out today, but I wouldn't have too high hopes for this one using the Bayang protocol, considering how the H8 3D also uses a different one. But one can always try.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 17, 2015, 03:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
I'll check it out today, but I wouldn't have too high hopes for this one using the Bayang protocol, considering how the H8 3D also uses a different one. But one can always try.

It does bind to BayangToys 9X transmitter!
Nov 17, 2015, 03:46 AM
Quote:
It does bind to BayangToys 9X transmitter!
Nice, I don't really like the way the X9 flies, but the controller is great for the H8 mini.
Nov 17, 2015, 03:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuflie
Nice, I don't really like the way the X9 flies, but the controller is great for the H8 mini.

This means it should also bind with the BayangToys X8 transmitter, which is a full size one. The X9 transmitter is already good for it's size, but some prefer a bigger shape. Btw, if you don't like the X9, you could also get the X6 or X7, as these all use the same transmitter, and use that to fly other stuff, including even the Floureon H101 inverted 3D quad. That BayangToys protocol is getting about as versatile as some other, widespread protocols. Brings some more compatibility, instead of each multirotor needing it's own transmitter...
Nov 17, 2015, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
Added some comments about the camera, and a sample picture.
Nov 17, 2015, 09:43 AM
What size are the motors solo?
Nov 17, 2015, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
I don't have caliphers here now, but will check later. Motors aren't looking big though, I estimate 6 mm diameter.
Nov 17, 2015, 05:34 PM
Looks like that camera is pointing downwards at quite an angle, is that correct?

It's a shame that IQ isn't much to write home about.
Nov 17, 2015, 05:40 PM
Quote:
I don't have caliphers here now, but will check later. Motors aren't looking big though, I estimate 6 mm diameter.
Yeah that's what it looks like, so the same setup as a syma x11 which I am not a fan of because the motors go out to easily.
Nov 17, 2015, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
Motors are 6mm dia, and about 15 mm or so long. Length is a bit hard to check without taking things apart, which I am not ready to do yet. First some more testing, so if I find something out of order, I can be sure it's not due a mistake I made, when taking it apart, and re-assembling it.
Nov 18, 2015, 04:58 AM
Thread OP
Added update to camera section, and "Flying Performance"

Quick Reply