Nov 16, 2015, 10:30 AM
Can you fly bobby?
Thread OP
Discussion

UHF 433Mhz Penetration..

Howdy!

I know UHF has great punch trough tress ect but does anyone have any idea of it's limits or anybody done any specific testing on this to any sort of extent..

Just how far can It penetrate and through what materials?
Dependant on what factors?

To make my life easier in terms of getting out there and flying. Without a vehicle for the time being. I may have to punch UHF signal trough some tress and maybe a brick wall or two for a few seconds on landing and take off..

Not ideal by any means and so I ask.. just how good is 433Mhz penetration?

Thanks in advance.

Gav

PS Any penetrating obstacles will be at a max of 900 meters
Last edited by MK1G4V; Nov 16, 2015 at 10:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2015, 05:25 PM
Didn't I already address this in your other thread?
Yes most any 433Mhz UHF system will easily penetrate through a lot of trees and some buildings.
I have one that even works some distance behind solid earth (over hills) where the signal is
probably being propagated by reflections. The problem for you is going to be maintaining video,
not control. Video operates at higher frequencies (thus less penetration) and if the
sync/blanking interval is corrupted the whole video frame becomes unusable.
Nov 16, 2015, 05:46 PM
Can you fly bobby?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Didn't I already address this in your other thread?
Yes most any 433Mhz UHF system will easily penetrate through a lot of trees and some buildings.
I have one that even works some distance behind solid earth (over hills) where the signal is
probably being propagated by reflections. The problem for you is going to be maintaining video,
not control. Video operates at higher frequencies (thus less penetration) and if the
sync/blanking interval is corrupted the whole video frame becomes unusable.

Yes well you gave me some input on that thread that was gratefully received but it was more dual UHF control hence the thread title..I thought more people with UHF penetration experience would be more likely to respond here.

Thanks again for the input buddy .. Oh and Video isn't important for take off and landings as i mentioned to you before also. So long as a few feet from the ground I dont loose UHF and my plane either tries to RTH or crashes completely in front of my eyes.
Nov 16, 2015, 05:56 PM
I own 6 different UHF systems, and every one of them has been range tested
extensively in obstructed non-LoS conditions. Any of them would satisfy your needs.
If you need non-LOS penetration second to none, then I'd recommend Rlink.
Nov 16, 2015, 05:58 PM
Can you fly bobby?
Thread OP
Rlink...Ok noted!

I had hoped to use EZUHF but I will use whatever is "best" providing it fits my budget.

Quick Reply