Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 15, 2015, 07:53 PM
Team ATees
New Product

‹ber Design ‹180, the first openly available, 12.5:1 thrust ratio 5" frame!

I've been teasing this frame on Instagram and over in the RCX 2205 motor thread as well as flying it and showing it off at F3Expo. It's still a prototype frame but I think it's close enough to release to post some info about it now. Without further ado, I present the...

‹ber Design ‹180!
Just launched the ‹ber Design shop! Sign up to get notified when kits will be available!

- ‹ber easy: The first quad designed from the ground up with User Experience as a priority. Most easy to build quads compromise on performance. Most high performance quads compromise on user experience (advanced builds usually). This frame is nearly fastenerless with design features that allow you to assemble the quad easily using zip ties. Leave your allen wrench at home! Zip ties are light, intuitive to use, cheap, and strong. Hopefully (mechanical) repairs won't be so dreadful if swapping parts becomes simple.

- ‹ber cheap: This frame and its design will be openly available. CAD files are posted below so anyone can print or modify the parts to make their own frame! Total cost for me was only around $15 in parts. I may setup a store to sell pre-cut CF rods and SLS nylon or molded plastic parts so stay tuned!

- ‹ber light, ‹ber fast: Weighing in at only 60g, it's one of the lightest 5" frames on the market. It's also currently the only 5" quad with potential for an 12.5:1 thrust ratio (or more if you build it lighter) when paired with the Rotorgeeks 2205 2700kV motors and HQProp 5x4x3. Thrust data here courtesy of QuadMcFly.

- ‹ber strong: CF tubes create a super rigid frame without all the extra weight of solid CF plates. Since it's a tube, you also have more isotropic strength compared to CF plates which can break more easily in some planes than others. Tubes also present a lower profile during fast forward flight compared to CF plates to decrease air resistance.

- ‹ber flexible: Swapping CF rods to create a 4" ‹150 or 6" ‹220 will be a breeze with zip ties. Just snip off the old ties, swap the rods, and zip tie the frame back up. Pair this with bullet connectors and you have a truly modular quad!

‹ber Design ‹180-V2 by Eric Chang is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Props (hah, get it?) to the Black Bolt team for really kickstarting the whole high thrust to weight ratio movement. With frames like the Shrike, XBR220, and hopefully the ‹180, I'm hoping the FPV racing community will continue to iterate and push the sport forward!

Changelog:
Rev1 - Initial Release
- 8mm square pulltruded tubes --> 10mm round woven tubes
- 5.5mm round pulltruded tubes --> 6mm round woven tubes
- Reduced plastic connector height from 13mm to 10mm
- Reversed male-female mating between CF rods and plastic connectors for higher plastic shear strength
- Increased motor mounting screws from 2 to 4 with compatibility for non RCX motors
- Through hole for access to bottom bearing for lubrication
- Refined industrial design

Download:
REV1 - INITIAL RELEASE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B71...ew?usp=sharing

Carbon Fiber Rods:
Support me and my work by buying carbon fiber tubing here:
10mm Glossy - Prime Shipping
10mm Matte
6mm Matte
6mm Glossy (Currently unavailable, alternative ebay link here

Videos:
Über Design Ü180: Snow Diving (4 min 17 sec)

(1 min 18 sec)

71° in December?! Time to kill some lipos... (3 min 53 sec)

Über Design Ü180 Prototype, LOS (1 min 40 sec)
Last edited by theledman; Feb 18, 2016 at 10:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2015, 07:53 PM
Team ATees
Gen 1 Image Archive:

Gen 1 Video Archive:
Prototype 5" Frame Maiden 1 (2 min 10 sec)

Prototype 5" Frame Maiden 2 (3 min 18 sec)
Last edited by theledman; Jan 03, 2016 at 10:05 PM.
Nov 15, 2015, 08:06 PM
S3fpv.com Pilot
I want oneeeee! Wait, make that 3!
Nov 15, 2015, 08:13 PM
I buy a couple for sure!!
Nov 15, 2015, 08:14 PM
Nice
Nov 15, 2015, 08:23 PM
Very Nice.
Nov 15, 2015, 08:30 PM
Georgia FPV
Awesome!!! When will the frame be finished and the files released?
Nov 15, 2015, 08:32 PM
looks interesting!
Nov 15, 2015, 08:33 PM
Keen as, that thing looks solid.
Nov 15, 2015, 08:41 PM
Team ATees
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia FPV
Awesome!!! When will the frame be finished and the files released?
I'm hoping to get things done before the end of the month. Unfortunately it's getting cold around where I live so the iterative process will be slower since I won't be able to test fly it as frequently. Good news is that people who live in warmer areas might be able to add onto the design and iterate more quickly in my place.

Still debating whether or not to tool up for injection molded parts. It will certainly be way stronger this way but tooling cost will certainly be a pain to swallow unless there's sufficient demand. Maybe a low goal kickstarter will be the solution? We'll see!
Nov 15, 2015, 10:00 PM
Vice President at MultiGP
Anxiously awaiting the STL's and CAD files
Nov 15, 2015, 10:33 PM
Geek 4 3V3R
I hope I can contribute to your design! It's awesome!
You should sell the parts or the frame. At least you will make some pocket money. There will not be chinese knock off. The chinese don't know about it. They copy popular frame, like the QAV210. They won't copie yours.

why are you using square tubing on the ends? Why not round? If you can't use round, then turn your square 90deg so you have better air flow.

Like the picture.

can't wait to build one!
Nov 16, 2015, 12:21 AM
How high will it go?
Cool design! I may have to make one!
Nov 16, 2015, 01:30 AM
Check out proto labs for low volume/fast injection molded posts.
Nov 16, 2015, 03:33 AM
that looks GREAT!!!!

Quick Reply