Nov 15, 2015, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Model Slipways Tsekoa II Build - My Version

Well I had posted this story in my blog, and was mulling over weather to post here or not, so what the heck. The actual build is only part of the story of this boat, and its a true testament to the idea of never letting a project go unfinished, no matter how long as passed.

This is one of those shelf queens... well shelf, closet, storage room, etc....

Its been a project that has been about 12 years in the making.... And then some!

I got this kit back in 2004 or so for Christmas from the parents. It seemed easy enough and in my skill set at the time to get it finished within a year or 2.

I built up a lot of the smaller items - crane, lifeboat, davit, mast, etc. and when it came time to get the electronics in, things stalled. I had purchased a vantec speed control with the kit, and lost it (I have it now)... to top it off the motor couplings needed to be tapped and drilled which I could not do. So I packed it back up, and put it under my workbench and went on with other projects and builds.

So there she sat smaller parts finished, rudder servo installed, rudders hooked up, shafts installed.

It sat for a few years, before I brought it to the lake house in NH thinking I could get some work done, but nothing... it would come out of the box, I would check the instructions to see where I am, I would begin marking parts to start work on another small part - but things would get stalled for one reason or another.

I moved from Newton Center to Point of Pines, Revere in April and now have a good amount of space (what comes along from moving out of a place you shared with your ex) to build this thing, so I brought it home with me in August, at the beginning of the new school year..

I was tired of it being the neglected build...

Upon opening the box, I noticed a rudder shaft broken, which has been the bane of my existence since restarting. Other than that, and trying to clean up a lot of the mess I had made with the shafts, its been pretty straight forward. Motors had 6:1 reduction gears on them, but I since removed it after bringing it back to the lake for testing. I wanted to have more power (insert Tim Allen laugh here) for pushing through those waves and wind on the lake.

She is running on a Dynamite speed control that I picked up as a backup for my 24" Miss Geico, and it handles the job nicely. I have had it out running (although a hull only) for about 45 minutes at partial throttle..

(I have since located the missing Vanatec speed controller, so it will be up for sale soon)

I have it set for counter rotating props, which makes her stable and maneuver nicely even without the bow thruster...

I have since added the decking, built up the wheel house, and added the metal fittings.. and after every bit of progress I stand back, and am simply amazed that after so long this is on its way to being finished. You can see from the progress shots below where things were at the end of August to where I am now.

I used all the photo resources I could, and took a lot of help from the build that was posted on here to really get me going. So some of the final look is a combination of the photos of people's models as well as the real one.

I did make a ton of errors along the way, I also have a lot to clean up and to prime, fill and sand her before painting, but the actual build is finished. I still have to add the navigation lights to the mast and bridge roof, for evening running. That will be done once the painting is finished.

I plan on buying a new crane as the old one got pretty beat up in all the moves.

Painting will give her the red and white Canadian Coast Guard scheme, which I will weather up some. Hopefully that can be all done by May - where I live I cant paint so I will have to wait on that. I will try and get the filling and sanding done tho.

So that's it - the saga of my Tsekoa II. I did have a blast building it, and I will absolutely be buying and building another Model Slipways kit, which I hope will NOT take near as long to complete.

The photos below document the build from August to the end of October
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2015, 04:24 PM
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 12, 2016 at 02:56 PM.
Nov 15, 2015, 08:49 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Excellent work!
Nov 15, 2015, 09:38 PM
Looks Great!
I (we) can tell your pretty skilled, the details are already coming together very nicely. If you need the references for the Canadian Coast Guard colour scheme and decals, let me know I can send you the Identity standard for CCG.
That is one neon orange zodiac! I have not looked too closely at pictures of the Tsekoa to know if it was actually that colour, but it looks great any way!

Cheers
G-O

P.S. - I'm going to add this to the ''canadian Coast Guard Builds thread I have been keeping a little archive of builds and links from this site.
Nov 15, 2015, 11:55 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Looks good from here.
Nov 16, 2015, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-Officer
Looks Great!
I (we) can tell your pretty skilled, the details are already coming together very nicely. If you need the references for the Canadian Coast Guard colour scheme and decals, let me know I can send you the Identity standard for CCG.
That is one neon orange zodiac! I have not looked too closely at pictures of the Tsekoa to know if it was actually that colour, but it looks great any way!

Cheers
G-O

P.S. - I'm going to add this to the ''canadian Coast Guard Builds thread I have been keeping a little archive of builds and links from this site.
Cool! Thanks!

I took some liberties on the Zodiac - I felt that the small boat should pop some from the rest of the deck, so thats why I went with day-glow orange. I sill want to do some touch up on it too, and add the rope around the edges, and maybe add a throttle control to the motor (It has a fuel line, so why not that).

I keep looking at it here and there, and thinking of small things I can make for it - like the anchor on the deckhouse, was just glued in place, so I made a platform, and used extra tiedowns for it. Now i am in the process of making a shackle and chain set to secure it in place.

I will say that the last thing I do is order brass props for it.
Nov 16, 2015, 10:15 AM
boat butcher
Very nice .

Mark
Nov 16, 2015, 10:51 AM
Thanks for posting the photos. I too started one of these a few years ago and occasionally look at it with the hope that I'll actually complete it! This might get it from shelf to bench!
Nov 16, 2015, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Glad I could be of some help - Im really glad I got to finish this one up ! I almost felt bad neglecting it for so long.

I do have a question -

Since shes still just unpainted, and I have yet to even primer it - I had taken a second look at the gray/white version. Now that said, was the ship still in Coast Guard service then? Or was it assigned elsewhere?

I only ask, because I feel bad rusting and wearing out that nice red scheme.
Nov 17, 2015, 07:46 AM
the grey white scheme was when many Coast Guard vessels were part of either department of Transport, Department of Public Works(DPW), or in some cases Parks Canada. The longest hold out was the Fisheries patrol vessels which kept their white and Grey until '94. In '94 The Department of Fisheries and Coast Guard merged and created one red and white fleet instead of a bunch of different organizations operating ships. The Tsekoa's grey scheme was during her service with DPW. Don't feel bad about rusting up a nice red and white scheme, believe me it happens a lot in the real world!
Cheers
G-O
Nov 17, 2015, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
great information - I think ill leave my options open in terms of scheme. I do love the red and white one, but the gray just seems more utilitarian to me. I have a few months to plan that part. Right now im struggling to figure out the lighting situation - I had a set of Robbe nav lights, but the leads all broke off , so I am looking at possibly LEDs to replace them. I just dont know if thats the route to go. I will be using a pack of 4 AA batteries on an independent switch to power the lights.
Dec 01, 2015, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
So my latest update is that I picked up some LED's for the navigation lights. Im going to keep the lighting simplistic on this - only the red/green and 2 whites. If I were to do this all over, I would be looking at finding deck light fittings to add the 6 or 8 yellows around the deckhouse. I dont see myself running this in the pitch black, just late sunset runs.

I also am going to build a 1/32 scale wooden pallet or two for deck detail. I figured I have a lot of time between now and painting to just tinker on the small stuff, so I may as well put it to good use.
Dec 01, 2015, 08:44 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Very nice.
Dec 03, 2015, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I look forward to showing off some more progress on the details shortly
Dec 13, 2015, 10:35 PM
Thread OP
So this weekend was spent working on smaller details - vent pipes and such, plus making some wooden pallets from scrap styrene for the deck. I also re did the anchor from 1/2 chain/ 1/2 rope to all chain. I also spent a lot of time smoothing out the ugly with some filler which is what the green is.
I took some liberties with the details after taking a long look at Tom Simpson's build.

Oh and I made some bungee cords too..

Still lots of smoothing to get done, many smaller details I want to add too. Plus the lighting situation to tackle before paint.

Quick Reply