Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 15, 2015, 12:10 AM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
Thread OP
Video

Eflite UMX P-47 Thunderbolt 002 "Caliburn" - GWS 5043 / 2500KV Motor Maiden Flight


Best viewed in Fullscreen and HD! What a beautiful day it was for November in Colorado. Sunny skies, almost no wind and 62 degrees F. This was a great opportunity to test out my new iPhone 6 head mount that arrived yesterday. I've found that my iPhone 6 takes excellent footage of my planes in flight whenever I have a camera guy available, so I purchased a first person view head mount similar to the one I use on my GoPro Hero 3+ Silver. Its ideal for those days when a Camera Guy is unavailable, though you do need to practice beforehand with setting up the angle of the mount and calibrating it to your field of vision as the narrow lens of the iPhone 6 may miss what you're actually seeing and trying to capture.

This was also a perfect opportunity to test out my second UMX P-47 Thunderbolt, named "Caliburn" that I had purchased primarily for experimentation and overall UMX P-47 use. This is her maiden flight, using the GWS 5043 Prop as her only modification.

Eflite UMX P-47 Thunderbolt "Caliburn" - GWS 5043 / 2500KV Flight (6 min 32 sec)

Using the GWS 5043 Prop as Caliburn's sole upgrade in conjunction with her stock Eflite 2500KV Motor provided a significant performance boost (from stock), overall increased top speed (from stock), and allowed her to perform high-energy Warbird Maneuvers, while also retaining excellent slow flight capabilities for scale presence flybys.

I would consider this to be the least expensive modification for this plane for the price of a GWS 5043 Prop. If you aren't concerned with having a 4-bladed prop for scale appearance purposes, I highly recommend this upgrade as it will make your UMX P-47 come alive.

(My first UMX P-47 Thunderbolt, named "Excalibur" that I purchased a month ago is equipped with both the Eflite 3000KV Motor and GWS 5043 Prop: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post32860985. These two upgrades combined transformed Excalibur into a "hot rod" version, performing fast passes, rolling zoom climbs, and other high-energy Warbird Maneuvers, while slicing through the inclement wind with ease. Excalibur is currently spending her days as a "Hangar Queen" while Caliburn gets the majority of my UMX P-47 flight time).

Aircraft: Eflite UMX P-47 Thunderbolt "Caliburn"
Prop Upgrade: GWS 5043
Transmitter: Spektrum DX6
Lipo: Thunderpower 2S 325 mAh 70C
Timer: 5 Minutes

Camera: iPhone 6 - 1080p at 60fps with Action Cam Head Mount Strap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Thanks for watching and please hit the Like Button if you enjoyed the video!
Last edited by Blaze0021; Nov 19, 2015 at 10:31 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2015, 10:27 AM
Registered User
jrwilliams27's Avatar
I have an iPhone 6 as well, and would love to find out where you got the head mount strap. Any links and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Nov 19, 2015, 10:32 AM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwilliams27
I have an iPhone 6 as well, and would love to find out where you got the head mount strap. Any links and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Nov 19, 2015, 10:38 AM
Registered User
jrwilliams27's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
Perfect! Thanks! Have you used any lenses or filters with the iPhone?
Nov 19, 2015, 10:43 AM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwilliams27
Perfect! Thanks! Have you used any lenses or filters with the iPhone?
No lenses or filters. I tend to record "au naturale."

Have you tried?
Nov 19, 2015, 10:50 AM
Registered User
jrwilliams27's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
No lenses or filters. I tend to record "au naturale."

Have you tried?
No. I haven't tried recording flights on my iPhone yet. I've seen videos like yours that inspire me to try, but my shaky hands don't make good videos. I've been looking for a solution, but never thought of a head mount.

Will the head mount fit over a hat? I see on Amazon that it will work with some helmets, so I'd imagine a hat would be okay too.

Sorry to hijack your thread over this, and will gladly switch to PMs if you wish. I appreciate the help!
Nov 19, 2015, 11:12 AM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwilliams27
No. I haven't tried recording flights on my iPhone yet. I've seen videos like yours that inspire me to try, but my shaky hands don't make good videos. I've been looking for a solution, but never thought of a head mount.

Will the head mount fit over a hat? I see on Amazon that it will work with some helmets, so I'd imagine a hat would be okay too.

Sorry to hijack your thread over this, and will gladly switch to PMs if you wish. I appreciate the help!
No problem at all.. at least you checked out my video. I see a bunch of views on my videos but can't tell if anyone ever really likes them, despite all the work and detail I put into them, not to mention the write-up. Still for some unexplained reason, I'm compelled to produce them lol. Then you get the person that just literally uploads a video of his plane crashing in the field or concrete and gets 100+ likes for it, lol.

You should be able to rig it over a hat.. the strap is adjustable so it can fit a variety sizes of heads. If you are thinking of using a hat, you may want to consider this as well: http://www.amazon.com/Streamaroo-Uni...=hat+cam+strap

I was considering that product, but I rarely wear a hat out in the field.. just sunglasses.
Nov 19, 2015, 11:21 AM
Registered User
jrwilliams27's Avatar
There's something about this hobby that compels us to do things that don't seem to make sense at times.

I saw the hat clip too, but my concern is the hat would need to be so tight to prevent it from falling off that it would become uncomfortable. I just ordered the head mount you mentioned, and I'll see what I can figure out. I can't imagine the hat blocking the view though especially if I have the camera lens up high. I'll experiment...
Nov 19, 2015, 11:23 AM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwilliams27
There's something about this hobby that compels us to do things that don't seem to make sense at times.

I saw the hat clip too, but my concern is the hat would need to be so tight to prevent it from falling off that it would become uncomfortable. I just ordered the head mount you mentioned, and I'll see what I can figure out. I can't imagine the hat blocking the view though especially if I have the camera lens up high. I'll experiment...
Aiming the Head Mount does require experimentation and adjustments but once you have it down, you'll have good results.


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools