GPS/MAG V2 for Vector! - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 26, 2016, 10:26 AM
I have had no trouble with my V1 since I bought it almost 2 years ago. Of course, I only use it now for fixed wing planes.

Not sure but I think the V2 was more of a benefit to multirotor fliers.
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2016, 11:43 PM
"TRUTH" , the new hate speech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by propnator
I have had no trouble with my V1 since I bought it almost 2 years ago. Of course, I only use it now for fixed wing planes.

Ummmm- I don't think benefit is the word! I'm sticking with the V1 due too an unexplained crash with my V2 & "SEVERAL" other complaints across the net in regards to the V2 & strange issues that have taken place. I'm not talking trash I love ET products (especially the tracker with the vector), I'm only going off of personal experience & many many complaints from other V2 users.

My only question is why all the issues since the change? Doesn't make sense
May 29, 2016, 01:08 PM

Gps v2

I'm surprised ET never implemented an exchange incentive upon the release of the new V2 GPS puck !? Giving the consumer, already on-board with the Vector, a discount $$ by swapping out their existing V1 for the new V2 GPS puck ! Anyway, if GPS is an important aspect to your flying needs, then the V2 GPS puck is a definite plus to improve GPS 3D Fix acquisition, accuracy, speed and satellite counts ! The improved GPS performance is clearly visible with this product when comparing it to the original V1 Puck ! It is a nice little upgrade, especially for the multicopter guys !
May 30, 2016, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics101
Ummmm- I don't think benefit is the word! I'm sticking with the V1 due too an unexplained crash with my V2 & "SEVERAL" other complaints across the net in regards to the V2 & strange issues that have taken place. I'm not talking trash I love ET products (especially the tracker with the vector), I'm only going off of personal experience & many many complaints from other V2 users.

My only question is why all the issues since the change? Doesn't make sense
Did you open a support ticket and provide the logs from your unexplained crash? It is likely we will be able to determine the cause of the crash. Just to be clear, we have not been notified of any issues related to changing from a v1 to v2 GPS. We would be interested in investigating the "many many complaints from other V2 users" suspected in causing incidents. Most GPS/Loiter/RTH issues reported to us have been related to one of the following;

- Not having failsafe set correctly
- Not have the compass calibrated or having magnetic interference affect the compass (mounted too close to the battery, power wires etc)

Both of which are not specific to v2 (or v1) GPS's.

In synopsis, as long as installation and setup is correct, there is no reason to believe the v2 GPS would be the cause of any crash or incident. As an example, you can not just swap a v2 for a v1 without calibrating the compass on the v2 before flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK
I'm surprised ET never implemented an exchange incentive upon the release of the new V2 GPS puck !? Giving the consumer, already on-board with the Vector, a discount $$ by swapping out their existing V1 for the new V2 GPS puck ! Anyway, if GPS is an important aspect to your flying needs, then the V2 GPS puck is a definite plus to improve GPS 3D Fix acquisition, accuracy, speed and satellite counts ! The improved GPS performance is clearly visible with this product when comparing it to the original V1 Puck ! It is a nice little upgrade, especially for the multicopter guys !
Actually we have provided an upgrade option. Users who contact us within 30 days of a new Vector purchase that received a v1 GPS were allowed a v2 upgrade. This was used quite a bit until old stock from retailers was replenished. We also notified authorized dealers that they could swap out v1 Vector packages for v2s however not all took advantage of the offer. We still took care of users that purchased from these dealers.

We have worked very hard to ensure users had the option to upgrade AND to make sure users understood that a v2 upgrade will not fix inherent issues they may be having with a v1 GPS due to interference of the GPS or compass.

Also, keep in mind that at the time of the Vector and its GPS unit was developed, we used the latest technology that was practical in this use. As technology progresses and becomes more affordable we will continue to upgrade our products. However I don't think it is practical (or expected) to indefinitely offer a free upgrade to new products as we develop and release them.

Guys, we are truly interested in making sure you have the best experience possible with our products. We will work with you to determine the cause of any unexpected behavior and if all else fails, we will always offer to test and ship back to you any of our products free of charge, regardless of when or where you purchased them. We have a 1 year warranty on all our products and have a very reasonable repair cost on out of warranty items. Feel free to inquire and post in the forums about any issue you are having but to get fast and official support, please open a support ticket. You will get a response

Regards, John
Jun 03, 2016, 02:58 AM
"TRUTH" , the new hate speech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET
Did you open a support ticket and provide the logs from your unexplained crash? It is likely we will be able to determine the cause of the crash. Just to be clear, we have not been notified of any issues related to changing from a v1 to v2 GPS. We would be interested in investigating the "many many complaints from other V2 users" suspected in causing incidents. Most GPS/Loiter/RTH issues reported to us have been related to one of the following;

- Not having failsafe set correctly
- Not have the compass calibrated or having magnetic interference affect the compass (mounted too close to the battery, power wires etc)

Both of which are not specific to v2 (or v1) GPS's.

In synopsis, as long as installation and setup is correct, there is no reason to believe the v2 GPS would be the cause of any crash or incident. As an example, you can not just swap a v2 for a v1 without calibrating the compass on the v2 before flying.

Actually we have provided an upgrade option. Users who contact us within 30 days of a new Vector purchase that received a v1 GPS were allowed a v2 upgrade. This was used quite a bit until old stock from retailers was replenished. We also notified authorized dealers that they could swap out v1 Vector packages for v2s however not all took advantage of the offer. We still took care of users that purchased from these dealers.

We have worked very hard to ensure users had the option to upgrade AND to make sure users understood that a v2 upgrade will not fix inherent issues they may be having with a v1 GPS due to interference of the GPS or compass.

Also, keep in mind that at the time of the Vector and its GPS unit was developed, we used the latest technology that was practical in this use. As technology progresses and becomes more affordable we will continue to upgrade our products. However I don't think it is practical (or expected) to indefinitely offer a free upgrade to new products as we develop and release them.

Guys, we are truly interested in making sure you have the best experience possible with our products. We will work with you to determine the cause of any unexpected behavior and if all else fails, we will always offer to test and ship back to you any of our products free of charge, regardless of when or where you purchased them. We have a 1 year warranty on all our products and have a very reasonable repair cost on out of warranty items. Feel free to inquire and post in the forums about any issue you are having but to get fast and official support, please open a support ticket. You will get a response

Regards, John
Hey look John No disrespect & ive said it a hundred times "I love my vectors". PERIOD! I wouldn't trade 1 vector for 3 Naza's & as it stands I own several vectors (sold all my Naza's) & have a vector in every platform I own IE Tricopter, 250mm Quad, Delta wing, sky walker & a Hexacopter !
It's been too many flights to go clear back & send a support ticket.
I just don't feel comfortable using the V2's & have no problem with my V1's at all.
LASTLY- you'll never hear me say another word about the V2 being "suspicious" , Etc.
I appreciate your input & keep up the good work
Jun 03, 2016, 06:06 PM

ET Support

Just like give a Thank You to ET Support for being rite on the ball !! Had a problem in communicating with the ticket system and ET called me up via long distance cell-phone !! They had a replacement item in the mail Pronto !! Totally Impressed ET !! I wish all RC companies were operating customer service at this level !! Again, very, very impressed ET !!
Jun 05, 2016, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by propnator

I can only speak for myself, but the Loiter on my S500 quad is soooo much better with a V2 GPS.

I have not tried waypoints yet.
Jun 13, 2016, 05:09 PM
Crashing Instructor
Does anyone know if I am missing any components on the GPS V2?
Jun 18, 2016, 05:58 PM
This is no V2 but V1 without the GPS module.
Jun 18, 2016, 06:04 PM
This is my from inside. Same Revision 2013 ETS Rev 3
Oct 13, 2016, 08:38 PM

GPS fix lost

I was flying line of site testing everything. Listening to telemetry via Tower on the tablet, it kept squawking "GPF fix lost". I flew with the VTX plugged in next and only lost it once or twice. I checked the logs (FDR) and confirmed it would lose it and gain it back mostly in the session when the VTX was unplugged. Everything else seemed fine receiver voltage, pack voltage RSSI etc.

Checked connections and everything was secure for the bus from Vector, air speed to GPS (under the covering).

Dragon link 433 control, 1.3 video.

What is/are the most common causes of this that I could look for?

Next step I'll try a help ticket.

Thanks
Dec 21, 2016, 08:13 PM

Corrected GPS using Horus Transmitter

The FrSKY Horus has a built in GPS, and could likely transmit this data to the drone for a ground station correction calculation....

http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=144

If the vector could take in the GPS location from the Sbus, then it could do the correction...is this a possible new feature?

I normally only work on racing drones without any GPS, but thought this could be really cool if possible. I wonder if DJI does this.

Thanks,
Matt...
http://tachyonracingdrones.com
Dec 22, 2016, 05:17 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfor1000
The FrSKY Horus has a built in GPS, and could likely transmit this data to the drone for a ground station correction calculation....

http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=144

If the vector could take in the GPS location from the Sbus, then it could do the correction...is this a possible new feature?

I normally only work on racing drones without any GPS, but thought this could be really cool if possible. I wonder if DJI does this.

Thanks,
Matt...
http://tachyonracingdrones.com
Possible I have misunderstood you, but if the remote aircraft has lost GPS, knowing where the transmitter is is not going to help it.
Dec 22, 2016, 04:22 PM

GPS Ground Station Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRogers
Possible I have misunderstood you, but if the remote aircraft has lost GPS, knowing where the transmitter is is not going to help it.
Yeah, if the aircraft loses GPS, you will be screwed no matter what.

What I was asking about was using the transmitter internal GPS as a correction for the aircraft GPS. The way this was explained to me is that at all times the GPS calculated position is bouncing around for a given location (several feet). If the transmitter with internal GPS is not moving, then you can assume that all the bouncing around it is seeing is error. That same error will be experienced by the aircraft since it is relatively close by. So if the transmitter can send that error to the aircraft, then it can be subtracted from the GPS location it calculated, therefore reducing its error.

If someone out there knows more about this, please feel free to chime in. I'm by no means an expert, but this is how I understand ground station correction to work.
Dec 28, 2016, 07:24 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
What is the minimum required separation between the GPS sensor and a 1258/1280 MHz video Tx? I'm installing a Vector on my TBS Discovery and am hoping that it will have enough distance. GPS will be on the back, and the vid Tx antenna will be up front, which equals about 9" of separation. Maybe 10"-11" if I re-drill a hole for the antenna mount. Video Tx is an ImmersionRC 200mW.