GPS/MAG V2 for Vector! - Page 3 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 18, 2016, 08:33 AM
Hello,

That should not be a problem but if you notice issues with satellite locks open a support ticket on our website.

Regards, John
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2016, 08:46 AM
I have flown the Vector with a V1 GPS for almost 2 years. The first thing I used it on was a S500 quad and learned to fly multi's successfully. Then recently I installed it on fixed wing FPV (didn't need the OSD for multi's) and am VERY pleased with it's performance in comparison to 2 other OSD units I won't mention. Sold them both as I was spoiled on the Vector.

The only thing I've done was 1 update, which didn't seem to change the performance (which I'm satisfied with anyway). On my older Skywalker, the stabilization really ironed out some flying issues that helped me to fly more often.

So thanks ET for making a good product to start, and continuing to stay on the cutting edge.
Mar 21, 2016, 05:36 AM
STEM+C
Regarding the magnetic compass set up. Why does it say "The magnetic compass must be enabled for RTH flight with multirotor GPS modes and RTH, but is optional for fixed wing aircraft".

If I do not enable the mag compass on my fixed wing aircraft does the RTH feature still work? I imagine it will since with a fixed wing aircraft, the Vector is able to RTH with the GPS course (unless of course you have a stronger headwind than your ground speed).

Once I calibrate the mag compass, do I have to do the calibration each time I fly or just once?

Thank you!
Mar 21, 2016, 06:45 AM
I don't know why it would state it's optional for fixed wings, unless this applies to the new V2 magnetometer. I wouldn't chance NOT setting or resetting the magnetometer each and every time you fly from a new location.

I recalibrate both fixed wing and multi every time I START from new spot. Otherwise, it's not necessary.
Mar 21, 2016, 08:13 AM
Hello,

Yes, RTH will still work on fixed wing without the compass being enabled. Please see section "5.15.1 Using the Compass with Fixed Wing Airframes" in the manual for details.

Regards, John
Mar 26, 2016, 04:08 PM
"TRUTH" , the new hate speech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
All, we are pleased to announce the GPS/Magnetometer V2, for our popular Vector Flight Controller/OSD.

Features

The GPS V2 simultaneously receives and monitors both GPS and GLONASS satellites, in addition to other improvements, which can provide the following benefits:

* Improved position accuracy for more precise hovering and tracking
* Improved RFI rejection – especially with noisy video transmitters and cameras
* Faster fix time
* Up to 24 satellites in view

Availability

The GPS V2 is included with all Vector systems shipped from Eagle Tree since November 1, 2015.

The GPS V2 is also available for separate purchase (p/n VEC-GPS-V2) at the same pricing as the prior module.

Identification

The GPS V2 is identified by a label (shown below) on the BOTTOM of the GPS module.

This label is also placed on the side panel of V2 equipped Vector system retail packaging, for easy identification.

Compatibility

The GPS V2 is compatible with all Vector systems, after firmware update.

Vector software version 11.78 or higher is required for correct GPS V2 operation.
I've never had anything NEAR a flyaway with a vector & after receiving my new "V2" GPS I updated everything as mentioned , as soon as I waked outside for a test flight with my 1,000 Quadcopter I waited for a satellite lock of 14 sattelites before launch & flipped it to (loiter) mode & WHAMO- it took of like a bat out of Hell & there was no recovering it with the changing of the flight modes. It came down about 200 yards away & hit the ground at at least 60mph!

WOW The DJI nightmare all over again , I can't believe this happened to me!
Up until today I had great trust in the vector but this really put some serious doubt in my mind.

Signed , DISGUSTED.
Mar 26, 2016, 04:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash! Please open a support ticket and provide the logs and config file from that flight and we should be able to determine what happened.

Regards, John
Apr 20, 2016, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics101
I've never had anything NEAR a flyaway with a vector & after receiving my new "V2" GPS I updated everything as mentioned , as soon as I waked outside for a test flight with my 1,000 Quadcopter I waited for a satellite lock of 14 sattelites before launch & flipped it to (loiter) mode & WHAMO- it took of like a bat out of Hell & there was no recovering it with the changing of the flight modes. It came down about 200 yards away & hit the ground at at least 60mph!

WOW The DJI nightmare all over again , I can't believe this happened to me!
Up until today I had great trust in the vector but this really put some serious doubt in my mind.

Signed , DISGUSTED.

Sorry about the crash, never a good thing !! Been involved with the ET Vector since pre-order status and that's the first incident of it's kind I have read about in any Forum. A definite head-scratcher !! I would want to know the cause of that crash for sure !! Something like that would bother me to no-end and I would be questioning everything from soldering/assembly procedure to all the electronics on board with heavy scrutiny until I found out the exact cause of the accident !! Starting a support ticket with ET would be a good place to start BUT let us know what happened when/if you find the cause! When things like happen it does not just wreck the day, it wrecks the entire week !!
Apr 20, 2016, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK
Sorry about the crash, never a good thing !! Been involved with the ET Vector since pre-order status and that's the first incident of it's kind I have read about in any Forum. A definite head-scratcher !! I would want to know the cause of that crash for sure !! Something like that would bother me to no-end and I would be questioning everything from soldering/assembly procedure to all the electronics on board with heavy scrutiny until I found out the exact cause of the accident !! Starting a support ticket with ET would be a good place to start BUT let us know what happened when/if you find the cause! When things like happen it does not just wreck the day, it wrecks the entire week !!
Hello Zacattack,
In regards to the flyaway/crash I never bothered sending ET the files & ended up completely re-flashing the FC with the new GPS & starting from scratch.
Everything is solid as a rock so far with the new setup & so I basically brushed it off as a "user error" incident.

At first the crash really really upset me off but after awhiqle didn't let it bother me too much because like youself I've had absolutely ZERO issues with the vector (aside from some minor loiter problems) & like I said I think it was a user error/rushed firmware update & was in a hurry to get out & test the new GPS .
Apr 20, 2016, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics101
Hello Zacattack,
In regards to the flyaway/crash I never bothered sending ET the files & ended up completely re-flashing the FC with the new GPS & starting from scratch.
Everything is solid as a rock so far with the new setup & so I basically brushed it off as a "user error" incident.

At first the crash really really upset me off but after awhiqle didn't let it bother me too much because like youself I've had absolutely ZERO issues with the vector (aside from some minor loiter problems) & like I said I think it was a user error/rushed firmware update & was in a hurry to get out & test the new GPS .

Thanks for that update Genetics 101 !! Nice to see your enjoying the Vector like it was designed for. Cheers & Happy Flying !!
Apr 20, 2016, 05:48 PM
Is there another way to verify if you have a V2 GPS, for example, what if the sticker is missing?

Need to validate if I received a V2 GPS, that was previously installed and it looks like maybe the sticker could have come off on removing from GPS stand.
Apr 20, 2016, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian
Is there another way to verify if you have a V2 GPS, for example, what if the sticker is missing?

Need to validate if I received a V2 GPS, that was previously installed and it looks like maybe the sticker could have come off on removing from GPS stand.

Well, outside of the V2 sticker on the bottom of the Puck. The only other way I know to how to differentiate a V1 from V2 puck is to use it !! The V1 puck I have cannot get over 11 Sats and it sometimes takes a long time to gather those Sats with .9-1.1 HDOP!! The V2 puck acquires Sats a lot faster and a lot more !! Like I'm getting 18Sats now with .5-.7 HDOP in a lot less time ! Hopefully this can help in identifying the product !

EDIT: Maybe contact ET Support and ask if their is any other electronic and/or physical identifying features to help differentiate the products at question ! Again, the V1 puck cannot do & preform, as stated above, to what the V2 puck can. Good Luck !!
Last edited by ZACATTACK; Apr 20, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
Apr 20, 2016, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK
Well, outside of the V2 sticker on the bottom of the Puck. The only other way I know to how to differentiate a V1 from V2 puck is to use it !! The V1 puck I have cannot get over 11 Sats and it sometimes takes a long time to gather those Sats with .9-1.1 HDOP!! The V2 puck acquires Sats a lot faster and a lot more !! Like I'm getting 18Sats now with .5-.7 HDOP in a lot less time ! Hopefully this can help in identifying the product !

EDIT: Maybe contact ET Support and ask if their is any other electronic and/or physical identifying features to help differentiate the products at question ! Again, the V1 puck cannot do & preform, as stated above, to what the V2 puck can. Good Luck !!

They should make an identifying marker just for the sake of convenience , the sticker looks pretty solid but just say if some knucklehead peals the sticker & puts it on a V1 & tries to sell it as a V2.
Just saying-
Apr 21, 2016, 08:18 AM
Hello,

On the OSD splash screen during boot up of the Vector you should see a notice related to GLONAS if you have a v2. If the sticker has been removed, there is no other physical identification.

Regards, John
May 26, 2016, 08:27 AM
I have 4 Vectors.. 3 with v1 GPS, (1 in a TBS disco and 1 in an FPV Raptor and 1 currently sat waiting for installation in a new project...)
and 1 with v2 GPS (awaiting fitting in a new project, still brand new in the box)
I am about to take the plunge and purchase 3 x V2 gps units to replace my V1 units...
My question is...
Am i wasting money or is there a definite advantage to the V2 units????
My Raptor has been pretty much flawless and my disco used to have rock solid loiter but has been toilet bowling a little recently....
I know your gonna say "if you have had good results up till now then why bother" but as ive been out 5 miles with the raptor and plan on further long range flights, and a couple of miles with the disco... and also other long range FPV craft in the offing, any extra help is always going to be appreciated...
So with all this in mind, im hoping for feedback from previous owners who have had both units to help me decide on whether the upgrade purchase price north of 130 is justified
Many Thanks in advance David