Nov 13, 2015, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

My Home Built 182mm 5" Prop X-Frame FPV Racer

Seeing all these X-Frame racers come on the market has been making me really want one. My club, The Other Guys (just made Tier 1!) has a lot of guys, including the designer, that are flying the XBR. I REALLY want an XBR, but right now money is tight.

So, I decided to design and cut my own.

I designed it Sunday night and cut it on Monday. This one has 182mm MTM diagonal dimensions. Because my mill has a small working area (12" x 6" x 6"), I had to design it to be cut into pieces. Also, all I had on hand was 1/16" fiberglass. So, I designed it in halves and cut 4 halves out, stacking them at 90 degree angles and epoxying them together, then bolting them together.

The frame is rather porky at 75 grams, but it is STRONG. If this flies like I think it will, I'm going to order some 2mm carbon fiber from Hobby King and build another one out of that.

Anyway, enough talk, here are a few photos.

A computer screenshot of the design in progress.

182mm X Frame by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Monday night after cutting it out. Compared to my modified ZMR racer.

to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2015, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
Last night I received my camera and power distribution board. The PDB has built in 5V and 12V BECs as well as filtered 5V and 12V for the camera.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the 182mm X-Frame build so far. I need to order the right size standoffs as I just cobbled it together with what I had (didn't know the length I needed yet)

It will still be a couple weeks before I can order the motors, ESCs, 200mw transmitter and X4R-SB receiver.

The wait is going to kill me, I really want to see how this flies!

x-frame 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 6 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 7 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
Nov 13, 2015, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Quick photo showing a size comparison.

Man this thing is tiny. Hard to believe it will fit 5" props.

I'm really struggling to not gut my ZMR and finish this thing.

x-frame 8 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
Last edited by Acer; Nov 13, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Nov 16, 2015, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Well, I couldn't take it anymore. Last night I gutted my ZMR and finished up the little 182mm X-Frame.

It ended up weighing 398 grams with a 3s 1300 LiPoly. I could probably shave about 40 grams off the weight if I cut it out of carbon and got some decent standoffs.

I flew it today and it is A LOT faster and more agile than my ZMR. It will take some getting used to as it hovers at a little over 1/4 throttle now compared to the ZMR's 1/2 throttle hover.

Everything fit in the little 32mm x 32mm cube except for the ESCs. Everything is directly soldered and depinned. Don't know how you'd get more compact besides going with smaller components.

I'm going to try to track down some carbon fiber and build another one!

Here's some photos.

x-frame 9 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 10 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 12 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 15 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 13 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

x-frame 14 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
Nov 17, 2015, 12:52 AM
SQUIRREL PATROL
LoOKs great! Love the simple design.
Nov 17, 2015, 10:50 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Awesome.
Dec 27, 2015, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
I received my carbon fiber frames this past Tuesday. The bottom plate is 4mm one-piece carbon and the top plate is 2mm carbon. These should be pretty much unbreakable.

I built one up for personal use and I'm going to sell the other three frames so I can order more.

182mm Carbon X-Frame 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 6 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
Dec 27, 2015, 11:41 PM
sLOWmoFLOw
The perfect minimalist racer! Love the simplicity, size, and AUW!

Jealous Acer! If you end up with a spare cut out of CF, I'd be keen to purchase it.

Awesome frame either way, two thumbs up
Dec 27, 2015, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I had 4 frames cut initially. I'm keeping one and selling the other 3 so I can get more cut. PM me if you'd like one (including hardware).

This isn't a simple build though. You have to know how to solder since everything is de-pinned and directly soldered. The reason for this is, like you said, this is a minimalist design, and the smallest frame possible, capable of swinging 5" props (roughly 0.09" prop clearance).

It is a tight build, but easily doable if you know how to solder, and an AWESOME flyer.

Edited to add: That isn't the AUW. With a 3s 1300 NanoTech battery, it weighs 387 grams (would be lighter with some Sunnysky 2204's). The weight on the scale is without the battery.
Dec 28, 2015, 12:27 AM
sLOWmoFLOw
I should've read through more carefully, I'm on the mobile, and I was a little excited
Cheers for the reply, and if I haven't been beat to it, I'll defiantly purchase one of the 3 frames. I'll PM once home.

Really like the one peice 4mm bottom frame, and the fact that even using 2mm for the top plate the frame comes out under 70g!

Was in the market for a new frame to make use of some old Cobra 2204-1960, 4s obviously. But this frame gets me excited to build a new racer
Dec 28, 2015, 01:43 AM
MultiWiiHead
And that, my friends, is what a hot rod Racer should look.... Well done!!
Dec 28, 2015, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian
And that, my friends, is what a hot rod Racer should look.... Well done!!
Thanks! It was a fun little design project. I really don't think I could change anything to make it better for its purpose. This is will be my go-to frame for flying in the MultiGP races for a long time to come.
Dec 28, 2015, 06:56 PM
MultiWiiHead
If they are priced reasonably, worst case a broken frame could be swapped out in a few minutes... Would love to have a couple, but I'm Thailand for the winter and shipping would be a pain.
Jan 15, 2016, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
Well, I found out that my local library has a couple of 3D Printers that are free to use, you just have to pay $1.00 per 10 grams of printed part.

So, I decided to try my hand at 3D modeling and printing. I usually always work in 2D using Illustrator to run my CNC mill, so the 3D thing is pretty new to me.

Anyway, I decided to start with an easy design, some arm guards for my 182mm X-Frame. I figured the frame needed some protection for when flying over concrete, I don't want to grind down the pretty carbon when sliding across the ground.

The design printed up perfect on the first try, fits like a glove! I think I'm going to have to save up to get one of these 3D Printers for myself. Though free use at the library is hard to beat.

XFrame Arm Protectors by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 7 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 8 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Quick Reply